Yamaha RZ 350

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha RZ 350

Just found a pretty clean 1984 Yamaha RZ 350 (Red and White), sure wished it was a Kenny Roberts Yellow and Black, with 12,000 miles on it. Before I owned my first xs 11 in 79 I owned a 73 RD-350 that, even though it was a 2cycle, had alot of punch and was fun to ride. Anyone own one of these old babies and are there any parts available for them? thx dew
    DEW
    One Red "Creation 1"
    One Black"Creation 2"
    One Black"Creation 3"
    One ???? "Creation 4"
    One ???? "Creation 5"
    One ???? "Parts Bike"
    All the above 1100 Specials
    78 Standard (Ruf Ruf)
    1980 Midnight Special
    1978 650 SE

There's a bunch of parts on ebay right now, and there's even a Kenny Roberts model on sale!
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Hi Dewibp,

The '73 and the '84 are both great bikes, but they don't share much more than the basic bore/stroke dimensions, the name, and some history!

Enjoy!!

AlanB
      Last edited by AlanB; 09-06-2007, 07:33 PM.
      If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Hi Dew,
        back in '86 my daughter come home riding pillion on one of those. I found 3 nuts & bolts to help the one remaining fastener holding his front fender on and tried the thing out. My last experience riding a 2-cycle was a 225cc Villiers engined Francis-Barnett back in the '60s and as I shifted up at 3,000rpm through the gears on the RZ350 I thought, "this ain't much different". Then I just left it in 2nd and rolled the grip full open. Ho hum up to 5,000rpm and then the thing exploded! Picture the old fat guy clinging on as the RZ's front wheel lifted. Great little machine.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Try HVCcycle.com for Yamaha 2 stroke parts. The have a bunch of stuff for these bikes.

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Fredintoon, I had the same experience with the 73 RD 350 the first time I took it for a ride. A little doggie on the bottom end but I could kick alot of butt (650 cc cycles), when I got her wound up, couldn't begin to keep up with me. The other thing was it would just about fly, front wheel would almost leave the ground, going down the road as hard as you could go! NOT quite as nuts now days. Geezer thanks for the tip for parts as I will need a few to make it look real pretty. I need the chrome grab bar for sure. Amazing how I found this bike. I've been looking for one for a year and a half and did not want to pay ebay prices. I was in Davenport, Ia. and a guy there steered me onto one less than 10 miles from where I live! Pretty good chance I can get it for about $1,000 which is in my price range. By the way, did Yamaha make a Kenny Roberts signed RZ 350 in red and white? Once again thanks for your help.
            DEW
            One Red "Creation 1"
            One Black"Creation 2"
            One Black"Creation 3"
            One ???? "Creation 4"
            One ???? "Creation 5"
            One ???? "Parts Bike"
            78 Standard (Ruf Ruf)
            1980 Midnight Special
            1978 650 SE

Comment

A shop a worked at back then ordered a pair of the Kenny Roberts signature decals but they were yellow in the background.

You would have to get one and photoshop the signature off and reprint it onto a clear sticker.

Geezer
              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

RZ's are my favorite all time favorite bike that are my most favored favorites - I have owned over 20 since 1985! There are quite a few versions of the true RZ's around and the Roberts Replicas came signed in Yellow/Black and Red/White. Both KR paint schemes had the checkerboard stripes, while the solid Red/White non-Roberts models had slightly different schemes depending on the year. The Red/White KR Signatures looked very much like the RZ500's and RZV500R's with less plastic.

The best running one of the bunch (stock - that is) was the Canadian model built until 1988; easy to identify because they had full fairings and no cats. There is also a Euro version that was produced Naked; I have always wanted, but never successfully procured. They were true YPVS bikes with all the valving, but looked a little more like an RD400F Daytona.

The RZ is a very collectable cult bike, and in the past the Black/Yellow KR's were far and away more valuable, but prices have leveled across the playing field somewhat. If you want a KR series bike, the full graphics kit for either Y/B or R/W can be purchased here:
                http://www.afegraphics.com/85rz350.htm
                The vinal graphics look stock, and can be cleared under just like the factory did.

The hot ticket is a set of Toomey chambers and a KN intake; it really wakes these little beasts up! These are very special and very fun machines, and will put a smile on every time...

Cheers
                Yamanatic
                Sure it's gonna make some noise, there's GAS exploding in there!

Comment

I will send you pictures of what I purchased next weekend.
                  DEW
                  One Red "Creation 1"
                  One Black"Creation 2"
                  One Black"Creation 3"
                  One ???? "Creation 4"
                  One ???? "Creation 5"
                  One ???? "Parts Bike"
                  78 Standard (Ruf Ruf)
                  1980 Midnight Special
                  1978 650 SE

Comment

Yamanatic, I am trying to hook up with you to discuss RZ's. You have a PM. dew
                    DEW
                    One Red "Creation 1"
                    One Black"Creation 2"
                    One Black"Creation 3"
                    One ???? "Creation 4"
                    One ???? "Creation 5"
                    One ???? "Parts Bike"
                    78 Standard (Ruf Ruf)
                    1980 Midnight Special
                    1978 650 SE

Comment