Volkswagen Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volkswagen Question

This might seem like a stupid question, but here goes; does Volkswagen make a motorcycle? I was driving through Corvallis, Or. yesterday and a sport cruiser pulled up behind me and it had a vw emblem on the front fairing above the headlight. When it went around me it also had the same emblem on the tank. It was maybe a year old and very sharp looking. If it wasn't a vw then they went to a lot of effort to remove the old badges and replace them with these. I didn't recognize the model, so I wasnt sure.
    Bill

1980 XS 1100 Special
    1979 650 Special - sold (Stupid Me!)

Never heard of a Volswagen motorcycle, but there was/is a motorcycle made in Brazil that used the VW flat 4 engine called an 'Amazonas'.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I remember that, if I remember, wasn't it supposed to be the largest motorcycle in the world? overall size wise. I read an article on it years ago, it was huge.
      I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

It was a monster, with a 1600cc dual port VW beetle engine, so I imagine it was large.

Now you have several bikes that are bigger, Triumph with a 2300cc, Boss Hoss's, 1800cc Shadows, etc

'05 ST1300

Comment

A rose by any other name - - -

Hi Bill,
          there's been several installations of VW aircooled flat 4s into Goldwings, BMWs & Urals plus, as mentioned, there's the Amazonas.
          I'd agree with you that most likely someone has gone to some trouble to "customize" his ride. I've never seen a bike with a VW badge but I have seen a Toyota 1/4ton that had a very professional looking panelbeating job done on the tailgate to morph Toyota into Tonka.
          Fred Hill, S'toon.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Amazonas have been built since 1971. For many years they were a monster, cc wise, at 1600cc.

However, they are only 65hp, and 800lbs. Today, they are pretty much outshadowed by almost everything. Any japanese bike over 750cc meets it or beats it for hp/weight ratio.

If you see a picutre of one, it looks very much like a gold wing with the valve covers sticking out the side. Makes one wonder if Honda engineers saw an Amazonas!

'05 ST1300

Comment

Working...
            X