Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shack got a Bandit!

Hey Guys,
    I finally picked up a bike....2001 Bandit Oklahoma Sooner Maroon...The Bike is wonderful...pretty much stock,,new tires and some cool running lights..The guy put in 2 low beams and wired up some running lights to activate on high beam..I can see much better at night with this set up..still has stock can and jets I got a great deal for such an incredible bike... May not be the deal of the year..but close to it...I will PM you the price if ya want to know...Can you change the can and leave the jets alone or does it take both..I will post pictures as soon as I figure out how>>>thanx for all the advice...I rode the bike from Eastern Ok to East Tx about 345 miles..what a great ride...I put 187 miles on my first tank and still had fuel left...the wind was blowing 25-35 miles per hour and I still got around 42mpg...Give me some good advice about these Bandits
    Shack
    Shack
    79 xs11 Special "SOLD Aug 26 2003"
    2001 GSF K 1200 Bandit "BIG 12"
    Oct 02
    2001 GSF Naked + Black 1200 Dec 03
    3176 miles

Congrats on the new bike Shack!
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Way to go Shack!

You note I split off this thread from the old Triumph thread, seems like its a new thing, yes?

Yes, pm me the price please.

You could change the can w/o the jets, but it will be very lean, so best to wait til you zero in on all the things you want to do and do them together.

What can you thinking of?

The 2000 (or was it 2001?) and up Bandits were not tuned quite as lean as previous years, but there is still horsepower and torque galore to unleash.

One way to get a lot of quick advice (mostly good) is to join the bandit list at www.topica.com (Bandits_R_Us)

The Bandit is such a cool bike even stock, take some time to get used to it as it is and really research what people have done, you'll thank yourself.

There is more than one way to power up. Dale Walker's Holeshot Performance (click the Bandit yellow thingie in the nav bar at that site) has great stuff. That's if you haven't already blown the whole budget on getting the bike

So, have you looked at the Bandit thread Gary started early in the life of the forum?

For a completely awesome website with 2 really great Bandits, see
      David Schuen's page.

Cmon cmon tell us what you think so far....you got a Bandit and you talk about the LIGHTS???? (They DO sound cool, can you send some pix?)

With 110hp, consider that quiet can as being like a stealth bomber... mine barks pretty loud, if I twist it in a residential neighborhood, heads turn, but with the stock can they won't even know you zoomed by on one wheel
      Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Congrats Shack!
        Well this forum is going to soon be the XS/XJ/Bandit owners association!

I guess Im going to have to get one after all. Gota keep up with the Jones'!

Get some picts posted for us Shack. We'd love to see the new ride.
        [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
        [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
        The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

XSERS

I forgot to list the zero gravity shield and the 1"3/8 riser bars and a stainless steel brake line...What a blessing I prayed a long time for as great deal...
          SHACK
          Shack
          Oct 02
          3176 miles

Comment

Did you look at pix of my Bandit on the thread link in my previous msg? Is your ZG screen same as mine? Probably not, you have dual headlights, yes? That red is awesome, hope you can send some pix.

Is the s/s brake line a single from the lever to the splitter block and then two to the calipers, or two straight from the m/c to each caliper? (I have the latter, easier to bleed, but the former is good too, not that they need any help, but it does give an even better feel).

The Suzuki shop manual is pricey, like $70, but much better than the $30 Haynes manual, and you really need to get one of them - the Suzuki one will pay for itself with one job that you can do avoiding the dealer.

Go here: http://members.accesstoledo.com/portpct/

and here: http://members.accesstoledo.com/portpct/banditfaq.html

Gotta run for now, study up...

Comment

Mike,
              The PO also included a factory manual..I love the screen it does little for wind protection..but looks great..I'll check the type.
              Shack
              Shack
              Oct 02
              3176 miles

Comment

Here are some of Shack's Bandit picts he asked me to post.

Very nice, im jealous!!!

Comment

ha cha cha

Shack, did the PO tell you what the Kanji behind the air box says?

You know the wheels have been paintstripped and polished, that is not stock

Something the 2001 has the earlier ones didn't (and should have) - the fork protectors.

That sticker on the frame rail under the tank has gotta go! (I also took the heat gun to the bodywork. The 'Suzuki' on the tank is not a decal, though, else I'd have disappeared that too.)

I can't tell how the driving lights are mounted... are they on the motor mount bolts??? Also, what brand are they?

I was just out on my Bandit today, after several rides in a row on the XJ, wow, zoom, zip, bwaahhhh, rip, it feels so much lighter than it is...

You gotta be totally thrilled, Shack. Keep the rubber side down on that baby now, y'hear?

Tell me you have discovered at least the power wheelie, where you're rolling on the throttle in first and long before you get to full throttle or redline the front starts to come up...

Comment

Wayne,
                    Thanx for posting the pics and being a true friend...

Mike,

The PO said that the strange writing is "BANDIT"??? The sticker must go as soon as monsoon season is over here in TX...I finally got to ride today for twenty minutes...WOW the bike rocks.....it is amazing how quiet and light the bike feels..so mellow..until you get on it then it turns hooligan....turns on a dime and rides soooo smoooth...the Dunlops really grab in corners...not so great in light rain conditions...the speeodometer seems to be at least 6 mph off....is the shield a good one are there better ones??? I would like some more wind protection...but the screen is "hot" as far as looks compare to original..."signal stat"is the brand name of the
                    lights, the tires are sportmax dunlops..seem much wider than xs I really like the Bandit power and stability at speeds low and high... Thanx for all your input
                    Shack
                    Shack
                    Oct 02
                    3176 miles

Comment

Shack, I have a Sigma BC800 bicycle computer on my Bandit, the speedo is notorious for reading too high, and I wanna know exactly what my speed is (around here they almost always let 8mph slide, but if you're 10 over, it's blinking lights time). Don't know for sure about the 2001, but the 97-99 speedos were about 10% off, though not linear. Tach reads a few % high, odo is not so bad, but not right on either.

Those Dunlop Sportmax tires are the latest and greatest, the R1 and GSXR1000 guys love em. I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport's.

Forget about more wind protection, there is no graceful way to do it. You might find one maybe a couple inches taller, but that's it. Sorry, as you've seen by looking at pics of mine and Gary's, the 2001 is a different animal as far as fairing/screen/mirrors (improved), seat too for that matter, not swappable w/ older models. Anyway, the Zero Gravity screen is a good one, take your time researching. Gary's Secdem is very nice, I don't know what they do for the 2001-2002 models, might be worth checking out. BTW, I've ridden Johnny Yukon's naked Bandit, and believe me, you are getting some wind protection for your torso, but not your arms/head. You get used to it

Are those lights bolted on the motor mounts or what?

Comment

Mike,
                        They are mounted on the frame..there are two bolts in the frame hex head...he took one out and mounted it to the frame...seems pretty stable.He used a bold with a regular 6 point non beveled..Do you have some advise on chain replacement??? I have only had dirt bikes and they were bullet
                        proof on longevity,,,,PO said he would change the chain soon if it was still his???
                        Shack
                        Shack
                        Oct 02
                        3176 miles

Comment

Gary just did the chains on his Bandit and Triumph, I haven't had to do mine yet. My manual is downstairs, look in yours for the spec for max length for x nr of links.

Running a chain too tight is worse than a bit loose, more wear. Main thing is, there should be no kinks or tight spots, if your chain feels the same all the way around (3 turns of the rear wheel exactly (15/45 gearing stock) you're probably okay for a while. We're at the mileage where you want to keep an eye on it.

I run about 1.5" of slack in my chain, fwiw.

Gary should be back from NC, bet he'll chime in here soon.

Have you bookmarked those links I posted? Lots of good info.

Comment

Shack, I've been looking for Signal Stat lights, but am getting hits only for truck lighting, mostly LED's. Do your lights have a model nr or part nr on them? TIA

Comment

Originally posted by Shack
                              Wayne,
                              Thanx for posting the pics and being a true friend...
                              No problem Shack,thats what friends are for. Bike looks great. God Bless.

Comment

Working...
                              X