Dunlop elite II,More rare than hens teeth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunlop elite II,More rare than hens teeth

MV85HB15 Dunlop elite II, I need this tire,I ordered one 2 months ago from a national supplier and have not recieved it yet,They claim it is out of stock because Dunlop has been on strike and they don't know when it will be available. has dunlop been on strike or an I getting a BS story. Does anyone know where I might be able to find one of these tires instock and available for shipping. I can't wait any longer!! I talked to another supplier and they stated that this tire would not be produced until October!! Let me know what you find out!!
    Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

It's true, it's true!

Hey Dan,

Planedick posted some time back about the strike that Dunlop was going thru, they've just gotten done with it, but it was a long one, and they have a considerable backlog, and AUTO tires take precedence, so yes, you may have to go to another brand of tire if you want to ride this season!?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Strike

The strike ended right after the holidays. Some of the bike tires have gone back into production, but not all. I called Dunlop to find out when I could get an Elite III for my Valkyrie (I ordered it in late Oct.) and was told that production wasn't even scheduled until late April or early June. I couldn't wait any longer so I switched to an Avon.
      Walt
      80 XS11s - "Landshark"
      79 XS11s
      03 Valkyrie
      80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
      78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
      81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

I bought a set of Elite III's in February, that was my V-day gift to my girlfriend. The old man I got em from said 20k rear and 30k front if you keep them at 31psi and 29, respectively. pretty happy so far
        Yamaniac
        '79 xs11 sf - WidowMaker, 750 final drive
        '80 xs1100 sg- ENEMY#1 parts bike no title(free)
        '79 f- frame and swingarm (and title)
        '82 yz 490- needs a cylinder, head, & new piston, etc. Got one for sale?
        '88 Honda cbr600- Running, finally! Training bike for swmbo, maybe a stunt bike for me eventually.

Comment

Dunlop

Sounds like you got old stock,whats the date code on them?
          Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

Comment

elite III are new generation
            "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
            History
            85 Yamaha FJ 1100
            79 yamaha xs1100f
            03 honda cbr 600 f4
            91 yamaha fzr 600
            84 yamaha fj 1100
            82 yamaha seca 750
            87 yamaha fazer
            86 yamaha maxim x
            82 yamaha vision
            78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

haven't checked date code, but the old man that sold em to me said he wasn't even supposed to have them yet.
              Yamaniac
              '79 xs11 sf - WidowMaker, 750 final drive
              '80 xs1100 sg- ENEMY#1 parts bike no title(free)
              '79 f- frame and swingarm (and title)
              '82 yz 490- needs a cylinder, head, & new piston, etc. Got one for sale?
              '88 Honda cbr600- Running, finally! Training bike for swmbo, maybe a stunt bike for me eventually.

Comment

Update on Elite II's, READ ALL ABOUT IT!

Hey Folks,

I told you that I contacted Dunlop, too them a month to reply, here's what happened!
                * Dunlop Tire Contact Form Submission *

Sent On : 3/9/2007 7:28:39 PM
                City : Portsmouth
                State : Va

Email : topcatgr(at)xxx.net

Comments :
                Dear Dunlop,

I am writing to you to ask if there is any truth to the rumor that you are planning on discontinueing the K491 Elite II series of
                tires?
                I know you have created a newer Elite III, but many of us riders of the Yamaha XS1100 on www.xs11.com enjoy your 491 Elite II's for their handling, durability, and long wear with our HEAVY "classic" machines.

We know that you are coming out of a lengthy STRIKE situation, and are working on a backlog of orders, but we have heard rumors about the K491's, and would appreciate any clarification in this matter!

Thankyou for your time.
                T. Curtis Gresham
                Forum Administrator XS11.com

Yes, I currently use Dunlop tires.

T. Curtis,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. The Dunlop 491 Elite II has been discontinued in the blackwall sizes that were
                overlapped by the Elite 3 tire model
                . In other words, if the size is now available in the Elite 3, that same size has been
                discontinued in the 491 Elite II.

"Dunlop Tire"
                <website@dunlopmotorcycle.com>
                So....not a complete answer, cause they make the Elite II in RWL, so perhaps only the blackwalls have been DC'd, but they may still provide the RWL in our sizes! I use the RWL style, was hoping to get it in Blackwall to prevent side rubbing in the over size 140/90-16 that I have vs. the OEM 130 size?
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham

Comment

2nd Update!

Okay,

To my surprise along with the email that Dunlop sent me, they also sent me their new 2007 catalog, and in it is the description about the 491 Elite II's only being available now in RWL and a select sizes of BlackWall! So, this confirms that the Elite III is the replacement for the 491 Elite II IN MOST BLACKWALL SIZES!

So.....Dunlop is NOT discontinuing the Elite II's....just the blackwall models, so we should still be able to obtain the Raised White Letter style for some time yet.
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham

Comment

Working...
                  X