Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Strom (Suzuki DL1000)

Originally posted by rockyr74 in the Aprilia thread
    I think its funny that the high end guys will let you ride, but try and cop a ride on a new V-strom and fugetta bout it.
    Depends on where you are, I suppose. I was at a local Suzuki dealer (Aurora Suzuki), about the only dealer in town with a real stock of Mikuni main jets, and after I swapped some jets in the service dept, I walked into the showroom. Hey, that V-Strom looks pretty cool, wonder what it's like?

The salesman, who had seen my Bandit, said "here, just sign the demo ride paper, I'll go get the keys. I'm not trying to sell you one, you just need to ride it". (He didn't even look at my drivers license )

What a nice bike! The handling is unbelievable, the steering is way light and neutral. The 19" front wheel must have something to do with that, but they really got it right, and it only weighs 510 lbs with 6 gallons of gas in it! The TL FI 90 deg twin has mucho grunt.
    M4, Two Brothers, others, make aftermarket exhaust, that and a remapping, it sounds like a harley on huge amounts of steroids, and puts the hp easily over the stock 105.

This is THE bike if you are tall (33" seat height), or miss your dirt bikes...and want to carve corners, do wheelies, whatever, wow.

From one of the many reviews you can find with a Google search:
    This bike can scratch like a sports bike, commute like a scooter, tour like a Beemer, put a grin on your face like a Supermoto, I still think that the bike could have been styled more adventurously, but if I could only have one form of transport, the DL1000 V-strom would be it.
    Sounds (and feels) like a great all-around bike!
    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

"great all around bike" - yep, thats just what I am looking for.
    I'll have to pick up the phone and just start calling dealers till I get a ride !

All the current bikes are so good that its hard to get an objective review - just have to ride them to be sure. I go to Vintage bike days in Ohio every year and do all the demo rides I can. I have surprised myself by what I liked and what I didn't .

Thought I would like the Yamaha Road Star and hated it, thought the Yamaha FZ-1 would hurt my bum, but I loved it. Up to Harley Fat Boy - Down to Honda 1800 big cruiser .

All the specs and reviews just won't tell you if it "Fits".
    Thanks for the comment.
    Rocky
    00 Cagiva Gran Canyon
    80 XS11 Special -sold
    77 HD Sportster
    75 Norton Commando

Comment

I've only heard two negatives:

This one is realistic - no center stand! It's an option!

This one, take with a grain of salt, from a die-hard Ninja rider - he says the TL motor doesn't have the greatest longevity, FWIW
      Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Working...
      X