Honda CX500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda CX500

I am purchasing a 1982 Honda CX500 Custom. It has barely over 16k on the odometer and has a Vetter fairing, crash bars with highway pegs, padded sissy bar w/ luggage rack, stepped seat [aftermarket?] and a service manual. Like the XS, it has shaft drive and cast wheels [not spoked rims]. It is in good running order, but I must admit that I have seen only pictures of the bike. Also, it does need both tires replaced soon. New battery and fork seals were installed this summer.
    I am purchasing it from an old friend who now lives in an adjoining state [Maryland]. I should take delivery either Thanksgiving or Christmas;when he comes to visit during the holiday season.
    This bike will be for my wife, who has her Motorcycle Endorsement. Hopefully it will be a good bike for her to "refresh" her riding skills and then to accompany me on my XS.
    Does anyone have any experience with these bikes? Any suggestions, tips or comments would be appreciated.
    For $500 I get the bike AND a new riding partner with a big smile; and you know I couldn't pass that kind of a deal up.
    Greg
    1980 XS1100-G
    1982 CX500 Custom
    1979 XL250-S
    1985 XR80R

AAaaahh.. the famous CX
    Strange looking thing, definetly a head-turner... at least here.
    For more info check www.umgweb.com.

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

$500.00 is a good price. One point to look for...seems to me the early CX (liquid cooled) had problems with the thermostat housing. Honda had an upgrade for this, was retrofitted to most bikes and the production line was changed to correct the problem. Telltale was a small amount of coolant leaking out on top the crankcase. Chemicals in the coolant would etch the metal. You might want to ask the owner if he knows anything about this, or if he ever had a problem. At any rate, change the hoses, thermostat, and coolant before taking any long trips.

Fully dressed version of this bike became the SilverWing. I almost bought one a few years back, is a decent bike and will be a good ride for your significant other.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

My son purchased an '81 CX500 from a neighbor a couple of years ago. Had 9500 miles on the clock. He paid $200 for it. It ran great but would not charge the battery. Ended up replacing the stator (Big job. It's located in the middle of the engine.) Runs great now. I have more miles on it than my son has. It's what got me back into riding after 20 years.

Good luck with yours. I understand that the stator going bad is a common problem with these bikes.

Ride safe!
        Bob Udy

Comment

Thanks guys for all the input. I should be taking delivery on November 23. Everyone ride safe.
          Greg
          1980 XS1100-G
          1982 CX500 Custom [soon to be]
          1979 XL250-S

Comment

YEEEEE--HAAAAAAA!!!!!!
            The CX was delivered Friday evening!!! Large grin on the wife's face, and even a large grin on my 17 year old son's face.
            It starts easily, idles well. Due to "doubling back" at work and rain, I haven't took it for a spin yet.
            When delivered, my son took it for a 3 mile ride. He confided in me that it will bring the front wheel off the pavement. Man, it's hard to scold your "child" when you are grinning from ear to ear!
            My wife has already got her a wish list started: two new tires, seat re-upholstery kit [Travelcade] replacement mirrors and replacement grips.
            Also I need to replace the front brake light switch,stretched clutch cable and trouble shoot the turn signal circuit. Cosmetics needed include a side cover decal.
            I guess it will be a "winter project" during the off-season.
            Now, when weather permits, perhaps my wife and even myself can take it "once around the block".
            Greg
            1980 XS1100-G
            1982 CX500 Custom
            1979 XL250-S

Comment

I guess you can say I have some experience with the CX

I picked my 78 up last summer after I crashed my nighthawk. A neighbor of a friend had it sitting in his garage and was going to pay someone to take it away, so he was gald that we offered to take it for free After the installation of a few missing parts(radiator, oil filter housing, insturment panel facade, seat, headlight....) and a few choice goodies (K&n filter, mac pipes, bigger jets, dual piston brake caliper, SS brake lines) I rode it back to show the neighbor, who was both impressed, and dissapointed--serves him right for wanting to junk a classic

one thing to watch for-- the bikes electric ignition runs off a seperate coil on the stator, which likes to go bad after 20 or so years--honda might have fixed that problem by 82 though... on the whole, it is a very fun and reliable bike

check out the good folks at
              HONDA CX & GL 500
              79ish suzuki rm250
              82 honda cb450sc
              78 honda cx500
              72 honda cb175
              78 yamaha xs11e

Comment

Working...
              X