Bmw K75rt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bmw K75rt

I just bought a 1994 BMW K75RT and thought I would pass on some impressions, especially in comparison to the XS.

I took the bike for a ride before signing any papers, but that was really just a formality, as it was an ex-police bike from Victoria, BC. I knew the bike had been well maintained and had only 65k km on the clock so I was not worried about the mechanical condition. Actually, I just wanted to ride it

As I pulled out of the dealer's lot onto the highway, the bike felt both familiar and different. It required less rpm to slip the clutch than my 80SG and did not pull quite as hard on moderate acceleration as the XS, but the bike only puts out 75hp as compared to the Xsive 95hp. What becomes apparent in second gear is that the gears are much "taller", being entirely designed for highway running. I found myself running at 100k/h and 4000rpm, thinking I was in 5th, but a glance at the gear indicator on the tach showed 4th gear. The taller gearing, coupled with the smaller displacement (750cc) will definitely have this bike in the 50mi/gal range, no matter which gallon you use! Acceleration and roll-on acceleration are actually not too much different than my XS, which is not set up for maximum stomp (single air filter, 110 jets). Being a lighter bike than the XS, by at about 50kg, the power to weight ratio is not that far off my SG.

What IS very different, however, is the technology and handling of this bike. It corners easier and feels very stable in bumpy turns. The shaft drive in the BMW still means I cannot chop the fuel in the middle of a turn without some effect on the track through the corner. Acceleration out of the turns is very good, even at lower rpm's. The other very noticeable difference is the braking. With linked brakes and ABS it's almost scarry how fast this bike stops Changing the XS over to steel lines on the front probably multiplied my braking by a factor of 10...the K75 brings in another factor of 10, giving a whole new meaning to 2-finger braking!

It is amazing how much different the technology is in the BMW. There are only 14 years separating the two bikes, but in terms of technology, they are farther apart than the XS was from a mid-60's Triumph. The fuel injection is probably what I noticed the most, along with the thoughts that I would never again have to balance carbs!

Anyway, I will be picking up the bike on Tuesday (holiday here), and will have another 2 weeks before the plates run out and I button down for the winter monsoons. During these 2 weeks I'm sure I will discover even more, but I also have another task to accomplish, selling the XS. I don't think it will sell this fall, but I am trying an initial ad in a local magazine dedicated to selling stuff, including vehicles. I put a cheap text ad in with a reference to my web page, which I set up to specifically to sell the XS.
    members.shaw.ca/nwilley
    It is with mixed emotions that I sell the XS, as it has been a lot of enjoyment, both riding and wrenching, but I feel it is personally time for me to move on. What I will not leave behind, though, is XS11.com
    Norm Willey
    94 BMW K75RT
    nwilley@shaw.ca

Congratulations, Norm. The K75 is a very nice handling bike. I rode one for a week a few years ago and enjoyed it a lot.

Amazing how far bike technology has come, isn't it?
    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Working...
    X