Sidecars???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidecars???

This started on the truck/trailer thread, but I expect more questions so I started a new thread. I'm new here, if I did it wrong, please let me know.

I can post photos of the mounting points if someone cares to see them and tells me where to put them.

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by johnstewart

Mike - I'm sorta looking for a sidecar (I've got a dog that loves hanging her head out the window; I think she'd like it).

15 minutes? I thought it would be more difficult.

Also, I see you mention Dnepr sidecars, but found none on that link you sent. Any more info on those?

Any pics?

thanks!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry. Go to http://webpages.charter.net/thelake. (notice, no www). That's my home site. If you click on the motorcycle link on top, then on the picture in the left lower corner of the page that opens, you'll see my XS850 rig. You can also go to www.ural.com. The only real difference between a Ural and a Dnepr is that the Ural has a trunk lid and brake rod while the Dnepr accesses the trunk by tipping down the seat and has a brake actuated by a cable. The M72 at Dauntless is a Chinese copy of the Ural sidecar. These things are all steel, built for the Russian Military, so they have grinding marks and paint runs, but they are built like brick s---houses. One of the Ural riders rear ended a Suburban and actually did more damage to the Chevy than to the sidecar.
    Sidecarmikel
    aka Mike Laubenstein
    Lake Tainter, Wisconsin

1980 XS1100 soon to have sidecar
    1980 XS850/Dnepr sidecar
    1989 TransAlp/ no sidecar yet, but I know where there's an Equalean!

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

I saw a new Ural side-car rig recently on display,by a Ural dealer, at the West Virginia Country Roads Rally. I was impressed by the steel body work like you mentioned. Also this one came with a jack and jack handle, spare gas can mounted on it, and a spare tire and rim. It had the same size tire/rim for all three wheels. Also on this Ural you could choose between only the motorcycle rear wheel pulling or go "positive traction" so to speak, and have both the bike rear wheel and the side-car's wheel pulling.
    An elderly gentleman in my area has a Goldwing with a side-car.
    He most always has a HUGE teddy-bear with a scarf and goggles riding in his side-car. I can only imagine all the looks and comments he gets. I do a double-take every time I pass him. Whether the teddy-bear is for balance or just for looks, I don't know.
    Once my daughter forgot her Tigger [from Winne-the-Poo fame] at a friend's house. I rode the XS up to retrieve it. I put a scarf on Tigger and placed him in front of me for the ride home. I got alot of smiles and thumbs up from motorists. One motorist at an intersection even pulled over and started taking pictures!
    Greg
    1980 XS1100-G
    1982 CX500 Custom
    1979 XL250-S
    1985 XR80R [My Children's Bike]

Comment

XS1100 with sidecar

I have a california friendship sidecar currently on an 83 goldwing with a bad motor. Any ideas on mounting it to an 80XS1100SG?

Brent, Lilburn GA
      It is a great big beautiful world out there
      Brent in GA
      Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Re: XS1100 with sidecar

Originally posted by Brent
        I have a california friendship sidecar currently on an 83 goldwing with a bad motor. Any ideas on mounting it to an 80XS1100SG?

Brent, Lilburn GA
        If California Sidecar doesn't offer mounts, contact Jay Geise at www.dauntlessmotors.com . The mounts on my XS850 came from him and will fit my 1100 if I ever get it running. Jay also sells the frame upgrades if your Friendship is an early torsion bar model.
        Sidecarmikel
        aka Mike Laubenstein
        Lake Tainter, Wisconsin

1980 XS850/Dnepr sidecar

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

If you guys ever want to see a lot of sidecars at one place, try to get to Americade in Lake George, NY. Usually held in June. Some unbelievable side cars on sale and cruising the streets. Here is a link to one photo I took in 2001.

http://facstaff.uww.edu/fieldsj/mcyc.../amcade30.html

A previous neighbor, retired, had a Ural (BMW knockoff) with a sidecar similar to one described on an earlier post....sidecar wheel was powered. He and his wife would take a run just about every good evening around town (Whitewater, Wisconsin) and looks like they both enjoyed it . I never took it out, but talked with them about it and got good closeup views of the system.

Vetter made sidecars in the past, but have not seen one in years, so believe they must be a scarce item?
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry
            If you guys ever want to see a lot of sidecars at one place, try to get to Americade in Lake George, NY. Usually held in June.

Vetter made sidecars in the past, but have not seen one in years, so believe they must be a scarce item?
            The annual rally of the United Sidecar Association will be held June 19-22 at Goose Island Park in LaCrosse WI this year

The Vetter sidecars were actually being built in Canada untill summer of 2001 when they were sold to an outfit in China. They were nice cars. Merriam Cycle still sells them. http://www.merriamcycle.com/html/sidecar.html Check out their XS1100's.
            Sidecarmikel
            aka Mike Laubenstein
            Lake Tainter, Wisconsin

1980 XS850/Dnepr sidecar

Comment

the wing?

Brent , What happened to the Wing? I thought it was on the mend? My 83 went bad too it needs a starter #4. Now i'v got a 79 up and going.
              Santa Jim
              79 XS11SF
              79 GL100
              83 GL1100 I

Comment

My wife is from the La Crosse area (Onalaska) and I spent quite a bit of time in town! Goose Island Park is a nice place to have an event like this. Some nice rides through the Coulee region and along the Mississippi River.
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Re: the wing?

Jim, wing WAS on the mend. Partzer bike eng with 26000 miles installed took me, daughter and wife to Honda hoot. Drove 941 miles in 4 days. great time last June. But now I found out that that goldwing would not run on two cyclinders. I think I may have had a fuel suppy problem. Now I have a valve broken off, a hole in a piston, and a cracked cylinder wall.
                  Originally posted by Jim Scott
                  Brent , What happened to the Wing? I thought it was on the mend? My 83 went bad too it needs a starter #4. Now i'v got a 79 up and going.
                  I have been told that you can install a starter without removing engine if you turn the bike on its side and shake it while sliding the splined shaft into the sprocket as it swings back and forth on the chain inside the engine case.... If you are lucky.

Happy motoring.
                  Brent 80XS1100SG, 83 GL1100I Hack, 02HDFLHRI
                  Brent in GA
                  Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

sidecar

looked at a velorex, should say, rusty frame velorex, that was hooked to an xs850. Will the hook-up fit the xs1100 standard? I guess i could replace the rusty sections and reupholster the seat.

sidecar- chs

Comment

Re: sidecar

Originally posted by chs
                      looked at a velorex, should say, rusty frame velorex, that was hooked to an xs850. Will the hook-up fit the xs1100 standard? I guess i could replace the rusty sections and reupholster the seat.

sidecar- chs
                      New Velorex sells for about $1000 and was designed for a 350cc Jawa motorcycle. I have a Dnepr that weighs twice what a Velorex does and sometimes feel it is too light for the 850. The sidecar, when empty, should weigh at least 1/3 of what the bike weighs with you on it. I would NOT put it on an 1100 unless I bought the upgrade kit from www.dauntlessmotors.com or someone else to stiffen and strengthen the axle and added about 200 pounds of weight to it. My Dnepr is on an 850 and I'm debating putting it onto my 1100. I think the mounts will fit, but you may need to build a subframe off the lower rear. Stay tuned.
                      Sidecarmikel
                      aka Mike Laubenstein
                      Lake Tainter, Wisconsin

1980 XS850/Dnepr sidecar

Comment

Forget the side car - how bout a trike, an
                        ebay xsive trike?
                        Marty in NW PA
                        Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                        Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                        This IS my happy face.

Comment

Re: Re: XS1100 with sidecar

Thanks Sidecarmike,

Californis Side car is on XS1100SG.
                          Dauntless was helpful. I had a local welder fabricator weld a bracket to the lower front cross member of the frame. some other hardware from the GL1100 gold wing were usable.

Rode to GA side car rally maybe 200 mi total. I was told that a member used an XS1100 special for years to pull a 25 cu ft trailer and a 4 (yes four) passenger watsonian sidecar.

Happy motoring,
                          Brent Lilburn Ga
                          Brent in GA

Comment

Re: Re: Re: XS1100 with sidecar

Originally posted by Brent
                            Thanks Sidecarmike,

Californis Side car is on XS1100SG.
                            Dauntless was helpful. I had a local welder fabricator weld a bracket to the lower front cross member of the frame. some other hardware from the GL1100 gold wing were usable.

Rode to GA side car rally maybe 200 mi total. I was told that a member used an XS1100 special for years to pull a 25 cu ft trailer and a 4 (yes four) passenger watsonian sidecar.

Happy motoring,
                            Brent Lilburn Ga
                            Come over to http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/ there are quite a number of members who use XS1100 as tugs and even a few with XS650's. I had electrical problems with the 1100 and got frustrated. Sold the 1100, both 850's and the 750 and bought a Valkyrie. Now I can carry all the weight I want. Today my 6 ft 4 inch 260 lb. son was in the sidecar and we were still able to cruise well over the century mark. Not that I would condone that, of course I did enjoy my time here. Come see me at www.sidecar.com
                            Sidecarmikel
                            aka Mike Laubenstein
                            Lake Tainter, Wisconsin

1980 XS850/Dnepr sidecar

Comment

Ive just fitted out a DUSTING sidecar for a mate.
                              have a look at:
                              http://coskys1.tripod.com/
                              My Web site
                              SEATS by COSKY
                              http://www.members.tripod.com/coskys0/id28.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X