Kawasaki ZZR1200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kawasaki ZZR1200

What bout ZZR1200.... I guess it's ZX12 in US, if there is one for the US market.

Rode the beast today, great bike. Love the dash, engine... stuff. Didn't ride it long enuff not to like anything

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Strom,
    Do you have a picture of the beast. I was wondering about quarter mile times and horsepower and top end info, dO YOU HAVE A LINK?
    SHACK
    Shack
    79 xs11 Special "SOLD Aug 26 2003"
    2001 GSF K 1200 Bandit "BIG 12"
    Oct 02
    2001 GSF Naked + Black 1200 Dec 03
    3176 miles

Comment

They also come in black and blue... but silver one looks best.

Didn't find quarter mile stuff...

KAWASAKI ZZR 1200

Puts the "sport" in sport-touring

For the sporting adventurer, the new-for-2002 Kawasaki NINJA® ZZ-R1200 sport-touring motorcycle is the ideal vehicle. Designed specifically for motorcyclists interested in a performance-oriented ride, but who also seek the comfort and style of a bona fide grand-touring bike, the ZZ-R1200 can't help but please. Originally conceptualized for the European market, the ZZ-R comes stateside with the best of Kawasaki's ZRX1200R and NINJA ZX-11 traits. The result is a machine that offers sporty handling, a powerful yet user-friendly engine, comfortable ergonomics and an upscale appearance.

Although the ZZ-R1200's double-overhead-cam 1164cc inline-four engine is similar to that of the ZRX1200R, Kawasaki engineers modified the 16-valve engine to be a stronger performer in the low and midrange sections of the powerband. For starters, the cylinder head is endowed with a new water jacket and head-bolt layout to accommodate a bank of four Keihin 40mm downdraft carburetors. Like the ZRX, the aluminum cylinders themselves utilize electroplating rather than cylinder liners to provide an altogether lighter-weight package and quick heat transfer, both of which allow for closer tolerances and therefore more power.

The pistons also have been altered as the skirts were reshaped and reinforcing ribs similar to those on the ZX-12R sportbike were added. Actuating the valves are sintered-tipped rocker arms, instead of the chrome-tipped versions used in years past. The new versions ensure less wear and friction and offer better lubrication. A newly balanced crank is similar to that on the ZRX1200, and helps bring out the engine's torquey personality.

For more efficient fuel flow, the ZZ-R1200 uses twin fuel pumps that feed four Keihin carburetors equipped with the Kawasaki Throttle Responsive Ignition Control (K-TRIC) system. In turn, a revised alternator produces more output to power the dual fuel pumps, as well as the new dual headlights on the ZZ-R. Finally, in an effort to keep things cool, the 1200's radiator is equipped with two fans, similar to the ZX-12R.

Much as the ZZ-R1200 motorcycle's engine was tweaked to create an all-new powerplant, the same can be said for the chassis. The aluminum perimeter-style frame was stiffened with thicker rails and a new steering head. The latter is reinforced with internal ribbing. Also, the aluminum rear subframe was exchanged for a steel unit in order to accommodate aftermarket saddlebags such as the color-matched luggage offered by Givi.

To give the ZZ-R1200 the lighter-handling nature associated with sport-touring bikes, the rake was decreased and offset reduced, while efficient ball bearings are used in the steering head to maintain a light-steering feeling. Also in the name of agility, the swingarm was lightened and then lowered to improve traction and squat characteristics. Kawasaki's patented UNI-TRAK® rear suspension employs longer linkage rods and a new rear shock for an overall smoother ride.

Bringing the new 1200 to a halt is an amalgam of braking components. Dual-piston calipers grip 320mm discs in the front, while the rear brake caliper is borrowed from the ZX-12R and the 250mm rotor from the ZRX1200R.

With power and handling covered, Kawasaki turned its attention to ergonomics and styling. To give the ZZ-R1200 all-day touring capacity, a new and comfortable riding position was created by moving the handlebars back, and the footpegs forward and down in comparison to the ZX-11. From the rider's perspective, an attractive instrument panel displays pertinent information and incorporates the ZX-12R fuel gauge for improved accuracy.

Aesthetics are apparent in the all-new bodywork, which includes an elegant, contoured fuel tank and sleek-looking twin-beam headlights. Hollow-spoke wheels, a one-piece fender and clear, automotive-style turnsignals round out the complete ZZ-R1200 sport-touring package.

2002 NINJA® ZZ-R1200 FEATURES

Four-Cylinder, 16-Valve Engine

Aluminum cylinders with electroplated bores reduce weight, resist wear and offer superior heat dispersion

Pistons reshaped with new skirts and reinforcing ribs similar to those in the ZX-12R

Cylinder head equipped with new water jacket and head-bolt layout

Equipped with newly balanced crank based on that of the ZRX1200R

Downdraft Carburetors with Kawasaki Throttle Responsive Ignition Control (K-TRIC)

A throttle-position sensor tells the ignition control unit how hard the engine is working so that its micro-computer can determine the best ignition timing for more power and better fuel economy

Dual Fuel Pumps

Dual fuel pumps provide more fuel flow to cylinders

One pump feeds cylinders one and two, while the other feeds cylinders three and four

Liquid Cooling

Even-running temperatures mean no "power fade" on hot days and longer engine life

Equipped with twin fans, similar to the system on the ZX-12R

Sintered-Tipped Rocker Arms

Provide longer wear, less friction and better lubrication

Replace chrome-tipped rocker arms

Redesigned Alternator

Produces more output to power the dual headlamps and fuel pumps

Holes redesigned to increase cooling

Aluminum Perimeter-Style Frame

Thicker frame rails provide extra rigidity

Rake and offset modified to provide more nimble handling

New steering head incorporates internal reinforcement ribbing

Tapered head bearings replaced by ball bearings, which aren’t easily over-tightened and don’t bind the steering

Steel subframe accommodates aftermarket saddlebags

Bottom-Link UNI-TRAK® Rear Suspension

Longer linkage rods provide a smoother ride

New shock features hydraulic preload adjustment and protective guard over the shaft and seal

Lowered swingarm improves traction and squat characteristics, and reduces wear on the chain slipper

Lighter swingarm features ZX-9R mounts that don’t pinch the pivot when tightened

Cartridge Fork

Inner guards added for overall durability

Comes with new leak-resistant seals from the ZRX1200

All-New Bodywork

Includes twin-beam headlights, modern taillight and automotive-type turnsignals with clear lenses

Contoured fuel tank contributes to bike’s aesthetics

Details

New riding position created by moving handlebars back, and footpegs forward and down

Attractive instrumentation with ZX-12R fuel gauge increases accuracy

One-piece fender provides easy maintenance

Hollow-spoke ZRX1200R-style wheels replace solid-spoke design from ZX-11

ZX-12R ignition switch deters theft

2002 NINJA® ZZ-R1200 SPECIFICATIONS

Engine
      4-stroke, DOHC, inline four, 16 valves

Displacement
      1,164cc

Starting
      Electric

Bore x Stroke
      79.0 x 59.4mm

Compression ratio
      10.5:1

Cooling
      Liquid

Carburetion
      Keihin CVKD40 x 4

Ignition
      Electronic with Digital Advance and Kawasaki Throttle Responsive Ignition Control (K-TRIC)

Transmission
      6-speed

Frame
      Aluminum perimeter design

Rake/trail
      25 degrees/4.16 in.

Suspension, front
      43mm cartridge-style fork with preload adjustment

Suspension, rear
      UNI-TRAK® system with remote-reservoir shock with preload adjustment

Wheel travel, front
      4.8 in.

Wheel travel, rear
      4.8 in.

Tire, front
      120/70ZR17

Tire, rear
      180/55ZR17

Front brake
      320mm dual hydraulic discs

Rear brake
      250mm single hydraulic disc

Overall length
      n/a

Overall width
      n/a

Overall height
      n/a

Ground clearance
      n/a

Seat height
      n/a

Dry weight
      n/a

Fuel capacity
      6.1 gal.

Wheelbase
      n/a

Colors
      Galaxy Silver

LP

Comment

Thanx,
        I bet is Hi 9's or low 10's, I wonder if it is close to the bandit I keep hearing about? I bet one of our xs guys has a comment on the comparrison. I am looking for a used Bandit 1200, most I have seen are thrashers. This bike you showed probably,,,,,twice the money of a Bandit. I keep reading problems with the 2002 oil burners and little suzuki. help? K1200 looks great!!!! thanx
        Shack
        Shack
        Oct 02
        3176 miles

Comment

Them's apples and oranges, Shack - the really good looking Kaw is a heavier touring bike (no weight spec, darn) with 6.1gal tank no less. I'm sure the price tag is not comparable either. It runs the same size tires as the Bandit, that's about all that compares. They are way too different. Sure is a pretty bike.
          Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Mike,
            Are there any changes to the 2003 Bandit? Are they still going to be offered? Tell me a great place to find one of these Bandits. I looked at a 1999 green one totally stock, but thrashed hard. If the new Bandit has some upgrades it would be nice to get a bike with no purposeful mistreatment. Give me some advice please??
            Shack:
            Shack
            Oct 02
            3176 miles

Comment

Shack, the previous ZZR1100 had 285 kg full. The new one has shorter wheelbase and I think it's lighter. But don't expect it to be in 220kg range.
              The engine kicks off right off idle, but I think top speed is 5-10 mph lower...
              It's a great highway bike, does well in the twisties, but it's BOOORING. Sorry, but the only non boring bike I had was the small guzzi. You can ride it slow, its fun, you can ride it fast and it's still fun. Belive me, 90mph on a small guzzi is FAST. Nobody DARED to pass me... (guess everybody thaught the bike's gonna explode under me.. keeping a safe distance)

We'll see how the XS does on the road... seemed fine so far.

LP

Comment

Working...
              X