Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirt Bike Question

Hi guys!

I got a dirt bike the other day, it was so cheap that I had to get it just to fart around on. It's a KC Motorsport or KC Powersport 125GY. It actually keeps up with my uncle's motorcycle when we rode it today. Thing is that I can tell it has a governor on it, I looked at the wiring diagram and didn't notice any mention of it. What would the governor be listed as or is it something hardware I have to actually remove, the bike honestly looks just like a honda crf but a little less beefy. I just can feel that this thing can go 70+ and actually have some take-off power once I get the governor taken off, should I just take it to a shop?

It's a 4-stroke, I actually found it online, made in china, I was hoping it was some sister-company of like Honda, and I think it is.

Here's the link:

http://chinakangchao.en.alibaba.com.../Dirt_bike.html

Mine has a different engine I think though, here are the specs:

Model - Cylinder Bore X-Stroke 56.5X49.5
    Compression Ratio - 9.0:1
    Max Torque - 8.2Nm @ 7500RPM
    Displacement - 124 ML

I kinda want to add a headlight to it too, the alternator or whatever puts out eh... 7.8KW @ 9000RPM do you think that this would be able to run a decent light??

Thx in advance
    Jeremy

7.8KW @ 9000RPM
    Wow!

I could light my house with that!

Comment

hmmm...

So I guess that a light is definitely possible or they misprinted the manual eh?

Comment

well...

I am more concerned about either removing or adjusting the governor unless it's not possible. The light is at the bottom of my list...

Thx

Comment

Sorry to tell you this Wang but there is no governor on your bike.
          All that I can tell you is to make sure that the air cleaner is clean, the throttle cable is adjusted correctly and that the throttle grip is pulling the carb slide all of the way up/open.
          Oh yes and the proper air pressure in the tires is a good idea.
          I dont think that the Chinese bikes are all that fast tho.
          I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.... It smells like......victory

Comment

Haha

K I'll take your word for it, and I will check all of those different things you said. The throttle cable would explain it.

but yah its not a FAST bike. At best it does like 55 mph and it bottoms out really easy, I'm wondering if the suspension is even adjustable...

This is my first bike since I was a little kid, and I'm not really a dare devil, I was hoping to get a better take-off and maybe a few mph's out of it. I was romping in the woods and it took it like a champ, so if anything how could I get some more torque out of that engine or are there any mods even worth applying.

I will probably hand it down to my sister or something in a few years if it stays strong, and get a 250 or soemthing.

What u think?

Comment

so if anything how could I get some more torque out of that engine or are there any mods even worth applying.
              It would be in your best interest to just enjoy it as it is and save your money for something bigger - not Chinese.

You might get better responses to your questions at a pocket bike site, instead of a big bike site like this one. There isnt very many people here that knows anything about dirt bikes from China.
              Well, except me, only because I have one and I dont know that much about it.
              Alot of people know about Yamaha's here tho, make your next bike one of those and more people here will talk to you.
              Good luck
              I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.... It smells like......victory

Comment

Chinnneeeeezzzzzz!!!!!!! Small bike... About the only way this small bike would be able to produce more power would be to mod up the motor and change some gearing.. AND.. hopefully it would stay together long enough to hit top speed.
                In all honesty though,, I feel this is a great starter bike.. Cheap,, Don't care to much about wreckin it,
                After awhile, and you start to outgrow the bike, Mabee get a KTM, Suzuki, Honda or Yami, For dirt, I'm partial to Yami and KTM.
                If you want off the line launch, I'd steer toward a two stroker.
                You may need to go older though,, Was told that two strokers are being replaced with four strokers..
                What a bummer.......
                S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                1-big XS patch
                1-small XS/XJ patch
                1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

"Dear Mr. Wang..."

(Funny, that's what the women used to call me...)
                  Anyway... It's sort of fitting that Wang buys Chinese.. But I won't go into that.
                  There is another thread here regarding foriegn bikes.. think it was Hyosung(and those bastards still haven't reimbured the shop for my warranty work!)
                  From what I recall, which usually isn't too accurate... a lot of these things are made under license from the big manufacturers. as in.. a lot of the dirt bikes are running old Honda 50 engines, not made by Honda, but made using the same molds.
                  I do occassionally take pity on someone who has bought one and will work on it in the shop , but I tell them that parts are hard to find, don't expect too much and don't abuse it as it will not handle it.
                  VERY cheaply made and designed. Just remember that. Like the quads... don't expect it to hold up like one made by the big four... these frames are thin walled tubes, and they bend, twist and snap just by looking at them.
                  Your KC Powersports bike is such a creature. You may get years of use out of it, but realize where it was made, how it was made, and treat it accordingly.
                  KTM... don't get me started, Czekus!
                  No... actually they are great bikes... top of the line! Expensive, too.. but well worth it! They just don't have Manuals! Have a shelf full of "Parts Manuals" for each bike, but nothing showing repair, replacement, or diagnostics. I don't work on them... the other mech does, and even he had to call the hotline last week for info on the oil pressure operated cam chain tensioner!
                  Just remember... KTM does not built dike bikes... these are pure race machines!
                  Too many people buy 2-stroke race machines, and then just putt around the woods and fire lanes... (letting them idle when they sit and talk to their buddies...) and burn up the pistons and such. Race bike engines have only two modes: Full throttle, and off! Either you're moving fast so air can flow through the radiator, or you should have the thing turned off. Period!
                  If you want a dirt bike... buy a dirtbike. Wanna race, get a KTM.
                  Last edited by prometheus578; 12-17-2006, 11:51 AM.
                  "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Thank you prom. That's why I like KTM Cuz when I'm on dirt,,, that's what it's all about,,, Balls to the wall, or nothin at all.
                    I Don't like Chinneezzz stuff.. ( I can't even spell Chinneeze right ) The stuff seems to fall apart just when you need it the most. I would think that's the same for their bikes. For every day off roading with the ability to ride on the road, think Enduro.
                    Riding a bike on the street with knobbies takes alot of skill in itself. ( Take a corner, on pavement, at high speed with knobbies ) Not a good place to be. Like I said earlier, Great starter bike, Light, Don't want to wreck it but if ya do, who cares. Throw it away and buy another.
                    S.R.Czekus

1-big XS patch
                    1-small XS/XJ patch
                    1-XS/XJ owners pin.

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Oh!!!! I forgot. There is some thing chineezze that is kinda good.... Chinneeze food....
                      S.R.Czekus

1-big XS patch
                      1-small XS/XJ patch
                      1-XS/XJ owners pin.

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Thx GUys

I was hauling through some trails yesterday and hit a chunk of ice, like I tried to swing to the side an catch the dirt on the wall of the mountian, but I still hit ice and just went straight to the ground probly doing like 25 mph, the bike just slid and the clutch lever snapped in half, I'm gonna go the mountian bike shop today and see if a bike brake lever will work for now, cuz I can't find many parts for this thing at all either.

I did get it up the face of a crazy hill that I didn't think I could make it up, woot!

I think by next summer this bike will go to my girl or little sister, and I'm probly gonna get a crf 250 or an xr 250 enduro. Should be good! SO glad I got into this hobby, it turns any boring ass day into an adventurous day!

Jeremy

Comment

Sounds like you have either a restrictive intake or exhaust or both.
                          My grandson had one of the little 50cc Chinese knockoffs to a mini-trail. Think leaked oil worse than my Norton, had a kickstarter with about 3 inches of travel. I thought it had a shaft drive. Would not go one day so I took the "shaft assembly" apart. It actually was a cable drive like a weed eater. I fixed it but he won't let me ride it anymore.

Like everyone said, play with it like it is and save your $$ for a real dirt bike.
                          When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Do what I did. I got a 07 Yamaha TT-R 230 and I`am quite happy with it. Also got a 3 year warranty with it. Has electric start and climbs very well. I use it to go around fence lines and check the land around here. Yamaha makes a 125 as well. They are a good trail bike nothing more. I don`t need it to race I have a 501 Husaberg for that. I notice that I ride the 230 more than the 501. The Yamaha would make a far better bike for you. Take your broken lever to a Honda dealer and let the parts guy match it up. They might be able to find something. I was trying to find out some information about UMs in the other thread. Learned that they are cheap and won`t hold up so plan accordingly.
                            Bill Harvell

Comment

Working...
                            X