Brake Lines and Caliber Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Lines and Caliber Paint

Rebuilding the rear and eventually the front master and Caliber on my 80 xs11 MNS. I was gonna purchase some nicer braded brake lines. In the rear can I just use the OEM brackets to mounts and pass the new brake lines through? Wouldnt be a tight fit but they wouldn't be hanging there at least.

Since I'm taking the calibers off I thought I would paint them while I'm at it, strip the paint off of them and prime and paint them. What's a good paint that you guys would recommend?

Napahkiin when I did mine a few years back, I originally planed to keep the hard tube center but ended up adding a short flex to replace the tube. The mounts capture the connectors rather well so it's mostly like the original design. I'd suspect that a single run with some reworked grommets to bite the hose will be just as good. Just make sure the flex relief is held close to the pivot and not able to slip in the mount and bulge toward the tire.

---Bax
    Attached Files
    80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

Paints I have used for calipers:

(1) Rustoleum semi-gloss
      (2) POR15

The POR 15 is is more durable and impervious to the brake fluid,... but if it does starts to peel, it comes off in big thick flakes like a plastic film.

-Mike
      _________
      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
      '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
      '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
      '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

The Dupli-color caliper spray paint can from auto parts store works well too.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by Bax View Post
          Napahkiin when I did mine a few years back, I originally planed to keep the hard tube center but ended up adding a short flex to replace the tube. The mounts capture the connectors rather well so it's mostly like the original design. I'd suspect that a single run with some reworked grommets to bite the hose will be just as good. Just make sure the flex relief is held close to the pivot and not able to slip in the mount and bulge toward the tire.

---Bax
          Like Bax... I went with straight lines and just added some shrink tubing on them where needed to be able to reuse the stock mounting to hold them in place.
          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
            The Dupli-color caliper spray paint can from auto parts store works well too.
            Yes, that's what I used. My calipers and master cylinder look good several years running.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

XJ4Ever has perfect plug-n-play lines if you are willing to pay for getting it right the fist time.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                XJ4Ever has perfect plug-n-play lines if you are willing to pay for getting it right the fist time.
                How do you actually order from the website? I found the part number I needed and everything but that's about it.

Comment

Also does anyone have any experience with ordering brake lines from HEL? I found these lines here and they seem nice. A little cheaper I believe than xj4ever
                  https://us.helperformance.com/yamaha...ed-brake-lines

Comment

Originally posted by Napahkiin View Post

How do you actually order from the website? I found the part number I needed and everything but that's about it.
                    Just send an email to Info@xj4ever.com. He responds very quickly. He ships right away as well. Everything I have purchased from him has been first rate, NO JUNK! FWIW. if you replace the rear brake line, it's much easier to do so with the single piece braided line. I've done both the single line and three piece reproduction, so my recommendation is based upon experience.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Just send an email to Info@xj4ever.com. He responds very quickly. He ships right away as well. Everything I have purchased from him has been first rate, NO JUNK! FWIW. if you replace the rear brake line, it's much easier to do so with the single piece braided line. I've done both the single line and three piece reproduction, so my recommendation is based upon experience.
                      Yeah if I was gonna do it it would be the single line connecting the master and the caliber. Much cleaner look. Thank you for the information

Comment

just to add my 2 cents... I also use the duplicolor caliper paint. Supposedly is a ceramic based paint and may be a bit more resistant to brake fluid. If you can afford it then powder coating would be the way to go. Thought about doing mine that way but was easier to just paint them and keep the touched up as necessary.
                        2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                        81 LH
                        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                        22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                        Jim

Comment

Bought here with great success! (Much cheaper, too) After rebuilding all calipers and master cylinders and installing new braided lines, the old girl stops better than it did off the showroom floor.

https://www.technafitstore.com/YAMAH...amxs1100sf.htm
                          1980 XS1100G (one owner-me)
                          1983 Kawasaki GPZ750 (Frankenbike)
                          Owned - 1976 XS750D
                          Owned - 1972 Honda CB750
                          Owned - (unknown year) XS650
                          (+ too many Yammies/Hondas to mention)

Comment

Yes, that's what I used. My calipers and master cylinder look good several years running.
                            Yep, I also baked the calipers (all rubber parts removed) in the toaster oven at 225F to cure them faster.
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Napahkiin,

It is THE #1 priority for me to replace all the OEM brake lines on my machines with SS early in the restoration process. Typically before the very first ride!

There are literally dozens of sellers offering brake lines for the XS11's (and any other machine you may have). The HUGE differences in price relate to the overall quality, testing, and MOST IMPORTANTLY construction to DOT standards. Any hydraulic shop can fabricate a brake line but few can apply a DOT certification label or offer the assurance that the lines were to built to or tested to the degree necessary to meet DOT standards. I've a variety of SS lines on my variety of bikes and have found some suppliers lines to be improperly oriented, too long, too short, and of overall crap quality. Galfer and Ipex are GARBAGE.

Having worked closely with LEN at XJ4ever, I can assure you all of his lines are of extremely high quality, fit and orientation are correct. That said, I also use GoodRidge lines on my other bikes which carry the certifications to meet US DOT and every requirement in Europe (which are much more strict than USA),

Whatever line(s) you purchase, you're making a long overdue repair & upgrade from 40+ year old garbage. Just make sure the seller if providing the assurance (and hopefully the certification) that the lines meet or exceed DOT standards!

Sincerely,
                              KURT

Kurt Boehringer
                              Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                              1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                              1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                              1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                              1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                              1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                              1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                              1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'