Shawn
    78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
    78 XS1100E Parts
    www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Hey bandet01

How much you weigh????

50 pounds will make a difference

Also if TC goes out and practices his start, will nock off .2 , .5 !?

mro

Comment

in my race clothes i weigh in right at 250 but overe the winter i out on a few punds and i am at 265 but it is coming off before i start racing every weekend so my race weight is between 250-265
        but i dont know what the race weight with me on the bike ready to race is i will find that out may 6th
        79 yamaha xs1100f standard
        best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

Well,

I might be around 250 will all of my race/riding gear on, boots, jacket, chaps, helmet, gloves!?!? I've been practicing my quick NO CLUTCH upshifts, and it seems to work quite well! I wrote the racetrack an email inquiring what style of tree they use, only found info in their FAQ's regarding actual racing, they have a 0.400 Pro Tree, but not sure what they use during the Test and Tune sessions!? I won't be deep staging, and I'll be revving high and fanning the clutch during takeoff, and hugging the tank to keep the front wheel down, with full high settings on my rear shocks. I'm getting so ancy, can't wait till the 29th!!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

et

i say mid to high 13's. time starts when light turns green thats how a slower time can win a race. a perfec light is .000 , at least at the grove were we will buy the way be having a Brag and Drag Aug 11-13 2006, sorry had to do it. this thread is eXSactly why i went with the drag racing format,no bragin ....lol wish ya luck though TC hope you can pull off a 12 would be sweet.
            1982 XJ 1100
            going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
            now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Well,

I was wanting to video tape a run down the track from the DRIVER's point of view, but the way I had my Zilla-Cam fastened to the bracket wasn't very good, just several elastic straps, and using the tripod mount hole. It actually got bent and partially pulled out of the case when I hit a very rough bump!

So...while I was strolling down the aisles in Lowe's, I started brainstorming, eeehhhh, more of a drizzle than a thundercloud

But I figured out a new clamping design that seems to be much more rugged than my previous lame rubber straps! I had some spare handlebar clamps from an old fairing, and I had made the stand from straight bar material! Here's the end result.

And for you eagle eyes, no, that's not the OEM speedo, it's a XS650 one I found to replace my 85mph OEM!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham

Comment

Sharp

.. nice going, now you can duck down behind the camera and watch yourself going down the track on the little screen.
                ..just watch out for wheelies, that camera might not taste as good as it looks
                ..i hope you do well, i'm bettin you'll be in the mid to low 13's for a first night out. don't get discuraged over your first runs, practice makes perferct and everyone has to start some where.

Comment

Slick set-up TC, how's it hold up as far as vibration? The other thing I'm wondering about is wind noise. Didn't you shoot through a windshield when you did the Tail of the Dragon DVD? I'm sure you're hoping to catch your shift points on the audio portion of the tape. Only thing I can see that might be drawback is that the critical part of your tach looks like it may be obscured unless your riding position will get your head lower than the angle of the photo. I'll have my batteries charged and a fresh tape in when I see you on Saturday. Let's pray for a dry day this time!
                  80 G "The Beast"
                  81 H "The Dresser"
                  79 XS650 II
                  82 650 Maxim
                  70 DT-1 Enduro
                  66 Honda CL-77 Scrambler
                  96 H-D Road King

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

Took my cam on the tax relief ride.
                    Had a plastic bag over it when raining.

Later in the ride took the bag off, turned the cam on and off we went. I dropped back so Ray, Ed and Gene were in front. Thought it would turn out pretty good and planned to put video up for you guys (and couple gals) to see. Didn't notice that the bungee cord had moved and pressed the play button.

Didn't record anything

mro

Comment

i dont think they will let you run the camera since it might hurt and it is in you line of vision. i just dont think it will pass tech. when you going to go to the track so we can see what it ran if all goes right may 6th i am going to take mine back to the track and hope for the 12 second pass i am only 2 tenth away from
                      79 yamaha xs1100f standard
                      best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

Oh well,

It is well bolted, but if not, it's easy to remove. OldBiker/John is apparently a very experienced videographer/photographer.....
                        which I didn't know , so I should still be able to get some decent footage!!

Just got this reply from the track regarding the tree:
                        You have your own spot to park in on a first come basis and a .500 sportsman tree is used-That is a normal tree.
                        So....I guess this is the one that counts down the 3 individual yellow lights after the stage light is lit?? That style should actually help me, cause I'll be able to get the timing as each light hits, so that when I see the last one before the green, then I should start leaving!!

Sorry to hear about your missed taping! Mine has a Camera vs. VCR switch, so it's a bit more failsafe!
                        T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham

Comment

Watch Out

Watch out TC some old dude on a 1920 Indian might pass you LMAO
                          Bruce
                          Bruce Doucette
                          Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Race Day Follies!

Well, folks, got good news and bad news!

The good news is that I survived!!

The bad news is that I didn't break the 14 sec barrier!

Gnepig, you were so right with those wheelies! I had my rear shocks preloaded to the max, but with my 4" overs, and the power of the big bore kit, I had the darndest time trying to get off the front line without flipping the bike over on me!

My first run was a 'by' run, and just took off easily. My second run was next to this Hayabusa, and I was trying to get a quick start, had it revved to 5K, thought I was slipping the clutch, but shortly off the line, it dumped and the front end just about flew past my ears! Got rather shook up with that one, and gave the officials a good laugh!

My 3rd and 4th runs were against a hopped up Harley, he was cutting 12's!

Here's my times for the runs. Can you spot the wheelie!?
                            ************************************************** *
                            Run1 Run2 Run3 Run4
                            RT=.545 _____.401 _____.716_____.488
                            60'=2.238____2.557____2.588____2.557
                            330'=5.912___7.019____6.277____6.262
                            1/8=9.048___10.320____9.317____9.288
                            mph=77.72__74.52____80.76____80.28
                            1k'=11.809__13.285___12.034___11.909
                            1/4=14.185__15.885___14.345___14.170
                            mph=95.09__87.50____97.28____97.54

I'll have some photos and videos to post soon. They actually let me run the track with the camcorder mounted to the handlebars, passed tech no problem, it was well secured, that was all they cared about!!

Looks like IF I ever try this again, I'll bolt about a 50lb weight to the front forks!
                            T. C. Gresham

Comment

Glad to see you made it safely, but like you, a little disappointed in the times. I really thought you get into the 13's. What's that ol' sayin'? Practice makes perfect?...or at least quicker. At least you had fun.

Comment

Hey TC WHEELIE BARS!!!!

Good effort, now you need to practice slipping that clutch.

I recall someone mentioning a few years ago that they found 3,500 RPM a good take-off point, must be where the curve starts up but you are low enough to keep the front down, and you can control the clutch slip a little easier. Never tried it myself.

Keep at it.

Where's the vid??
                                Marty in NW PA
                                Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                                Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                                This IS my happy face.

Comment

Working...
                                X