T.C.'s E.T. Poll!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T.C.'s E.T. Poll!

MRO came up with this suggestion, sounds like fun!

I'll be trying my best to get the quickest E.T. I can, no bracket or sandbagging, I'll be going all out!

I'm running an 81 Special, 1179cc big bore with less than 10K on it, stock cams, carbs, ignition, new clutch frictions, springs, extra steel, 4-1 pipes, Indy cone filters, PREMIUM gas, 117.5 mains.
    Rear tire less than 5k on it, Dunlop 491 Elite II 140/90-16, no windshield, I'll have the saddlebags OFF. I weigh 225, 6'6" tall, but will be hugging the tank as best I can!

I'm hoping to get below 14, but have no real idea what it can do.
    Less than 12 seconds . . . . In my wet dreams
    0.00%
    12 to 12.99 seconds . . . . A drag racing GOD!
    16.67%
    13 to 13.99 seconds . . . . Decent for a 25 y/o bike!
    62.50%
    14 to 14.99 seconds . . . . Not bad for a guy almost 50!
    16.67%
    15 and above . . . . Next time I'll take the training wheel off!
    4.17%

The poll is expired.

T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

I put you in the 13-13.9 only because you've mentioned the fact that you aren't an experienced racer. I think with some practice, or an experienced rascer should be able to bust into the 12's. At least that's what I like to think my big bore will do. Good luck when you do get the oportunity to run it.

Comment

Timing is everything!

Hey John,

The timer starts when the light hits GREEN right?? Or does it start when the front wheel leaves the staging area?? I know they time your reaction time, guess that's the difference from when the GREEN light lites, and the front wheel leaves the staging area!?

I'm sure I'll get a chance to watch a few others before I go. I've heard that if you actually start to react when you see the YELLOW lights then you'll be just starting to move when it hits the green!?

I'll be taking it easy on the first of hopefully 3 runs when I go there in 2 weeks. Can't hardly wait!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

well if you guys are only planning on 12 with a big bore kit i am almost there with a almost stock 79 xs1100 i mean 2 tenths and i am in the 12s i mean all my bike has is stock debaffled exhaust and 4 pod filters and thats it
        79 yamaha xs1100f standard
        best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

But...you have some experience racing your bike. He has none, and neither do I. Hell, I would probably take a nap at the line , and ruin any hope for a decent run any way. I have popped mine up into air a couple of time on a snap throttle roll on, so I know I would be a little worried about trying to launch hard, and possibly break something XSpensive, like me or the bike. I've been broken recently, and it ain't no fun. I don't intend on ever racing, but having somewhere near 100 horses 'tween yer legs, and lettin' 'em run is always fun.
          I have a Jardine, 4-2 spaghetti pipe exhaust, Uni foam air filter in the air box, and 78 E carbs jetted to 140.

Comment

E. T., please call home

Please deposit 14+ first run

Third run thirteens, (13.24 precisely)

fastest run, full of "PREMIUM gas"
            across infield to outhouse, door is locked

mro

btw
            Hey, it's not my fault, I'm just the $hit disturber

Comment

i have only been to the track twice with my bike but i used to race a car every weekend, one word of advice to get a better time feather the clutch out on the start dont dump the clucth and pop a wheely and i would say after a few passes your bike will go mid to high 12s

Comment

Re: Timing is everything!

Hey TC good Luck, Drag racing is addictive, I know!!

So this is not Bracket racing? Are you using a pro-tree? The pro tree has .4 seconds between lights, the pro tree has .4 seconds between staged and green, all yellow lights come on at once. The regular tree has .5, with each of the 3 lights coming on individually, a prefect reation time is either .400 or .500 depending on which one you use. Etherway if you see green you are late!

I used to race every Wed night at Empire Dragway. We used a regular tree except when the IHRA was in town and then we had the pro tree, with 60 foot times and all the pro data.

Reaction time is added to ET (basically) in a real race since who ever gets to line first wins, reaction is time from green light to breaking the staged light. This is why you can 'deep stage' for an advantage, but becareful no to red light!

Here is a quicky I found on Drag Racing Basics

Later,
                Gary

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TopCatGr58
                Hey John,

The timer starts when the light hits GREEN right?? Or does it start when the front wheel leaves the staging area?? I know they time your reaction time, guess that's the difference from when the GREEN light lites, and the front wheel leaves the staging area!?

I'm sure I'll get a chance to watch a few others before I go. I've heard that if you actually start to react when you see the YELLOW lights then you'll be just starting to move when it hits the green!?

I'll be taking it easy on the first of hopefully 3 runs when I go there in 2 weeks. Can't hardly wait!
                T.C.
                [/QUOTE
                Gary Granger
                Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Gary, isn't Empire Dragway the one over in Wyoming County not far from Letchworth Park? Went to a IHRA event there a bunch of years ago. Haven't heard anything about it in a long time.
                  80 SG
                  81 SH in parts
                  99 ST1100
                  91 ST1100

Comment

draggin tips

Hey good luck at the track, it is very addictive and you will be back. Turn your rear shock all the way up (stiff). You can also tie the forks down on the bike (if you can). this couple with a little clutch riddin will help keep her on the ground and leave like a rocket. With your bike you shouldn't have any problems seeing 12's.

Oh and something else don't do a burnout, just clean them up a little, street tires don't need to be heated up they get slippery. You will just be wasting your money. A common misconception among all the young goobers at the track on their stretched plastic rockets. I see them all the time needlessly burnin up a good tire. Run the rear 10lbs less than you normally do.
                    Last edited by Shawn27530; 04-17-2006, 08:35 PM.
                    1980 XS850G
                    1978 XS750SE>>>>>Sold
                    1982 XJ1100 Maxim

Comment

OK TC, it looked like we were weathered out this weekend, but this will go down on the 29th and I think you will run in the mid 13's by the third pass. Don't make me fix my clutch on my 80G and make me provide more than video support for this effort! We VA guys have to stick together and show what our antiques will still do. Just look at this delay as an opportunity to get two more weeks to prepare for T & T. I'll be there, bro'.
                      80 G "The Beast"
                      81 H "The Dresser"
                      79 XS650 II
                      82 650 Maxim
                      70 DT-1 Enduro
                      66 Honda CL-77 Scrambler
                      96 H-D Road King

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

Comment

Where exactly are you guys gonna go? I would like to meet up with you guys and make a few passes with you. I live in Goldsboro NC, so Richmond is not a bad ride from here. You guys will beat me every time down the track, as I have the same bore and stroke I am just missing a whole jug!
                        1980 XS850G
                        1978 XS750SE>>>>>Sold
                        1982 XJ1100 Maxim

Comment

as for a burnout i would try it both ways my bike went faster with a nice long swmokey burnout vrs no burnout at all

and if you can tie your front end down

DONT WHEELIE FEATHER THE CLUTCH

Comment

Check out an awesome take-off on the new Busa killer ZZR14

http://videos.streetfire.net/hottest...FF38FFE441.htm

Comment

That's the same one, it's in Liechester NY, probably boarded up again by now. Was a lot of fun.

Originally posted by laxdad
                              Gary, isn't Empire Dragway the one over in Wyoming County not far from Letchworth Park? Went to a IHRA event there a bunch of years ago. Haven't heard anything about it in a long time.
                              Gary Granger
                              Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                              2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Working...
                              X