Fng

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fng

Hey yall, I am the FNG. I recentley acquired a 1978 xs 11 in boxes ( literaly) I am 61 years old and have not worked on anything mechanical in over 30 years. I have the service and parts manuals. My question is this. Do you all think I should tackle this project myself or hire someone to do it. I have never assembled an engine. I have done minor tune-ups, oil chages Etc.

Thanks Tom
    tom macarthur
    989 906 0443
    photos click below
    http://www.myspace.com/yadzilla

and the answer is..................

The real question is, do you want to do it yourself????
    Do you have a place to work?, how about the time?

Being mechanically inclined helps

The XS really is not that sophisticated of a machine, but there seem to be a few "tricks" to the trade. Still, if you persevere you should not have many problems.

Of course you’ll have to post your progress and maybe a few pics so we can have some fun at your expense

mro
    btw
    just how disassembled is it???

Comment

"Time... is on my side... yes it is."

Go for it, Tom! I mean... you're not forgeing cranks nor machining parts. It's all just nut and bolt-on at this stage. I'm a blithering idiot... and I get paid to do work like this. That should tell you a lot!

MRO: I think that Tom has plenty of time to complete this task.
      have not worked on anything mechanical in over 30 years.
      If I read this correctly, he's been in prison for a spell... even wrote his inmate number there under his name, so that we can write to him if he has questions.

Hhmmm... Tom, like MRO asked... just how far disassembled is it? Engine, frame and a bunch of parts, Or frame and bushel baskets of pistons and valves?
      Does it look like this?[IMG][/IMG] (At least it was free) As is the help on this site.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Set your computer up in the garage!!! There isn't a problem with a XS that has not been covered here. Do it yourself and it will be done right! Most shops won't even touch em cause there "to old". There simplicity is the key to so many of them still running, and the help from this site, mine would have been long gone if it wasn't for the help I have received from here. Its a great feeling when your 25 year old bike breathes heavy on the late models. Remember, "its not how fast your go, its how well you go fast".
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Think of it this way... Someone has already done the disassembly part for you I had to strip mine down to do my restore. If you want to paint the engine, do it while its apart so you can use the good bake on paint. the first time I got gas on my "engine" paint I wanted to cry.
          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Tom,

What have you got to lose?

If you want to swap stories let me know, I am in Midland and sometime this summer I have to decide what to do with my 78 XS11 motor. Something came through the casing on it while I was riding up US23 on the way back from Florida. I expect you have the basic tools but if you need to borrow a vernier, inside and outside calipers etc to check parts I can help out.

Regards,
            Scott
            I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

fng2

Wow, what a response!! OK, I will do it myself and will come to all of you when i get stuck. The bike is not totally disassembled. the engine is out and the tank and seat are off. The engine has had the head, etc removed. The person i got it from said that when he took it apart it as running good bit was stock in third gear. I am thinking i will probably need a new tranny but i will know for sure as i get into the project. My wife said that she would like to assist. She will be a lot of help. I also have a couple of biker neighbors. If i keep beer in rthe fridge they will be in my garage a lot. I will post photos tommorrow. . Thanks agan for the encouragement.

God bless
              tom macarthur
              989 906 0443
              photos click below

Comment

Tom,

As one motorcycle noob to another, Go For It.

I'm having a blast bringing the old girl back up to snuff. Mine was in one piece, but had slept for 3 years so I have the additional bother of taking things apart. On the other hand, it is really satisfying to look at my garage after a few hours and to be able to SEE what I've done.

Everyone is also correct in that it is a relatively simple machine. There are a few do's & don'ts and some good hints & shortcuts to be had. Some searching of the forum, and browsing the Tech Tips will go a long LONG way. Get a shop manual (or two) and read up.

The guys here have a really good list of places to get parts that can't be found on eBay.

Besides all that, if I'm going to ride a 26 year old bike, it's nice to have done the work myself so I'll have a clue if something nasty should happen while I'm out & about.

I'm really looking forward to riding. My brother-in-law has a '79 Honda Goldwing. It has the same Vetter Windjammer V that I have. They are both black and are both obviously from the same general era. We also both have white beards. We should make quite the pair.

Eric
                Eric Roellig
                1980 SG w Windjammer V & KG hard bags
                **Very first bike**
                Current condition: Running!!! Lead, follow or get the #^%# out of my way!!!!!!

Comment

Eric, Thanks for the response.

Hey Pro, Just to let you all know you were right about the prison number.

I got sent to prison for shooting somebody that was teasing me about my prison time LOL

how do I insert photos??
                  tom macarthur
                  989 906 0443
                  photos click below

Comment

A challenge

Imagine it as a big puzzle. All the parts will fit...honest.

Comment

Hey Tom,

Welcome to the incurable tinkers club known as XSives!!

As for your bike being stuck in 3rd gear, not sure why the PO would take the HEAD OFF?? A common problem can occur on the end of the shift drum, there are a set pins that the shifting pawl grabs to turn the shifting drum which moves the shift forks which slides the gears into and out of position. Those pins can come loose due to the thin plate that holds them in place can get bent, etc.! Also, shift forks can get bent, but 3rd gear is right in the middle of the pack of gears, so it's less likely to cause problems!

But, like everyone else has stated, just take your time and you can do it. If you're not sure about how to do something, post here first and we'll do our best to guide you in the right direction!
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                      X