No announcement yet.

Weird "Stuff" (I am being good here!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird "Stuff" (I am being good here!!)

OK..... So I am NOT the most superstitious person in the world, but... I was meeting my tax guy to pick up my taxes. He works in Nashville and lives in Clarksville. I am somewhat in between, so I hop on the bike and head for the Mapco on the exit of I-44 and Hwy 49 to meet him and pick 'em up.
    I met with the tax-dude and then decided to top off the tank. Now I could have made it the 18 miles home mind you, but decided to top off.
    I put in the debit card and gassed up.
    As you all know, you watch the tank, not the pump when filling your bike. So I finish, hang up the nozzle, and look at the price. $6.66 ... CRAP!
    I paid at the pump and hung up the nozzle, I couldn't put another cent into the tank. I literally said, “I hope this isn't bad luck." and rode back home.
    I went straight to the Subway to pick up dinner for the family. Got the sandwiches, hopped on the bike and TRIED to start it up.
    No dice...bad gas.
    Every combination of priming, choking, waiting, starter fluid, Heet , etc... You have to understand (and you do cause you own these beasts) my bike has NEVER not started. I have had "iffy" gas in the past, but it usually runs choppy, but it starts.
    I had to call a friend with a trailer to pick me up...coincidence? You tell me!
    JimBoReeno
    My Ex!"Half-Breed"
    '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
    '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
    2000 Indian Chief
    Millennium Edition

Evil gas!
    DZ
    Vyger, 'F'
    "The Special", 'SF'
    '08 FJR1300

Comment

"This too, shall pass."

I went straight to the Subway to pick up dinner for the family, and got bad gas.
      I've never had a problem with bad gas after eating at Subway. Usually, it's from that Mexican place down the street, "Costa Del Plenty."
      I doubt your story... For one, I know that you haven't paid your taxes in years.
      You know the drill... drain the tank and the float bowls. New plugs might be needed, too.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

"Not again"

You know the drill...
        Man... Pro is bringing that dental crap in here now.... I can here TC typing his reply already... lol

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

"Never occurred to me!"

Sorry... carry over from Army days.

Comment

That's alright Pro..... now rinse and spit! LOL

Tod

next thing ya know... someone will see Jimbo on the side of the road, just sitting there on his bike. Someone will ask if he broke down... and he'll tell em, "Nope... black cat just crossed... giving it some time."

Tod
            Last edited by trbig; 04-11-2006, 08:39 PM.
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I'm surprised you got bad gas from a Mapco. They're pretty much the only place that takes Fuelman so I have to go to them for the work van. Never got a bad (or even questionable) tank before. I bet I've been to every Mapco in a 200 mile radius of Nashville over the last 12 years. At 11 or so MPG in the van I go there alot....usually every 3-4 days. Even with a 33 gal. tank

If you still have the tilt switch installed you might want to yank it off and throw it in the trash. Don't the XJ's have a kill switch on the sidestand too? Might be worth a look unless you're sure the gas was crap.

You think you'd get a sputter even with marginal gas.
              80 XS1100SG
              81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

I haven't gotten bad gas since the old Ethyl leaded 100+ octane days. Used to be common to get water in the bottom of the station's storage tanks. Stop the engine right now, no sputter, no nothin'. Now there's so much alcohol in the fuel that the water stays dissolved in the fuel and won't stop the engine. Actually all gas is bad nowdays but it will run the engine ok.
                Shiny side up,
                650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Fellas...pay attention to the story and don't try to get too scientific on me... I paid 666.

No on the black cats
                  No on the side stand and/or tilt switch
                  No even on the Mapco connection

This is a basic God and the Devil deal. I am no zealot, but I do think there are some things that should be avoided.

(C'mon Jon...help me out here!)

You mean to tell me NO ONE else has a "bad karma" story?!?!

And Pro... don't rat me out on the taxes thing, I have already had to move too many times!
                  JimBoReeno
                  My Ex!"Half-Breed"
                  '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
                  '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
                  2000 Indian Chief
                  Millennium Edition

Comment

Sorry, Jimbo.
                    (I actually had to pay this year due to my twenty year old loafer no longer being deductible) Not Karma related, but still bad.

Comment

twenty year old loafer no longer being deductible

Tell em to get off his butt and get a job

mro

btw
                      $hit happens

Comment

Another possibility

Hi Jimboreeno,
                        we just did this on the XS650 list.
                        While you were in Subway did some interfering fool of a
                        safety freak flip your killswitch?
                        Fred Hill, S'toon.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by Jimboreeno
                          (C'mon Jon...help me out here!)

Hey Jimbo,

I'm still waiting on the reply from my email and PM to you about your old backrest.

But really, I think its something related to your kickstand or kill switches.

I've never had gas that bad either from a Mapco or anywhere else, maybe a sputter or two but thats about it.

Good "Luck"
                          '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

Speaking of evil gas...

When I filled up last weekend, 87 oct unbranded gas was at $2.619/gal. Midweek it was at $2.859, today it's $2.919. This is a definite trend. Looks like the oil companies are out to better last quarter's all time record profits. I suppose when it gets up to $6.66 per gallon for 66.6 octane it will truly be "evil" gas.
                            Shiny side up,
                            650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                            XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                            X