shocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shocking

Will shocks from a special fit a standard, or do they have different lengths?
    Travis Miller
    1978 E

Travis,
    The shocks have a different part number from Yamaha. The standard has a "heavy duty" available for full dress bikes, and I think the big difference is the adjustments available on the standard.
    I believe they are the same length, so they should work. Just make sure you get heavy duty springs on the shocks. The standard is designed to carry a little more weight.
    I'm using BMW shocks on the back of daily ride. They are about 1 1/4" longer than stock, but DO have heavy duty springs.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

great info, thanks. I do not have full dress on this standard. It is a 78. I would actually like to raise it a tad for more corner clearance. The shocks that I was concidering were from ebay. I think that a member here was selling them. They are progressive so they will probably go for more than I am willing to pay anyway. Did you buy those BMW shocks used? How is the ride?
      Travis Miller
      1978 E

Comment

The shocks I've got are progressive. The local shop, Road Rider, had them on clearance new, with springs, for about $140.00. The big problem is the center stand no longer will lift the rear wheel. If I'm going to work on a tire, I need to put a 1X6 under the center stand.
        I run the springs on the 1st or second position most of the time, as I'm 1 up with the box in back. With a secon person, I just go up 1 on the springs, and it's good. I do plan on installing the progressive front springs this weekend, and that should even out the ride.
        The book lists a 12 1/2" eye to eye on stock shocks, but I think it's closer to 12". Progressive does have some nice springs for our bikes, and there is an online shop that has them at a reasonable price.
        Ray
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

i have a 78 standard with a sidecar. went to a special 16" rear wheel for better tire selection. used the special shocks . no problem. bolt rite on.
          fly

Comment

Working...
          X