Rotflmao

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotflmao

I got this email from my oldest son the other day.

This Harley is gonna kill me.
    So I bought these rebuilt heads from a 75 and mines a 74 and they should fit. Well, I go to bolt them on this week and the bolt hole pattern is different by just a fraction. Get to doing some checking and MY cylinders are from a pre 72 (crappy and thin walled), but since I had already bought pistons and had em bored I decided to keep them. I found out I could open my head's bolt holes a little and it would work as long as I lined up the oil returns. The heads are all the same on all sporsters EXCEPT for 3 different bolt hole configurations.
    So I decide to do them on a bridgeport mill at work on my lunch break. I open up the ones on the first head and it works perfectly. Go to do the second and I get 3 drilled when my boss calls me to help him with something. I comeback an hour later and do the fourth hole and and when I pull the head off all the holes are perfect EXCEPT the last hole which has punctured my combustion chamber!!!
    I don't know if someone moved the machine or I got distracted and got my dimensions messed up but it SUCKS!!!!
    So now I'm stuck with a crappy set of rebuilt jugs and a wrecked set good heads.

I'm gonna try and have it welded and machine it back down. I'm sending you some pics and it looks like as long as I can stop any leaking from the bolt hole I'll be fine. Madisons welding said he could do it, but it would be hard for him to put metal in and still leave me a bolt hole. He told me to try Kenny at that Aircraft restortiation place to heli-arc it, but Kenny says his stuff won't work on cast iron. So I'm gonna try another specality welder he gave me a card for and see if he can do it.
    If that doesnt work I'm gonna JB Weld the bitch, sell it on ebay and buy a Honda.

Hey, I only said I wanted to try a Harley.
    I tried it..........they can keep em.

Every time I try to send him a reply, I start laughing so hard that I can't type!
    He bought this bike one year ago tomorrow and has only managed to ride it for about 3 hours the day he bought it.

Louis
    "There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
    brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
    '82 XJ1100J
    LED Dir and running lights
    LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
    Modulated H/L
    PIAA Driving lights
    YICS Eliminated
    750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

I've got an Ironhead Sportster in bits in my shed.

Guess why I've got an XS now.

It's called learning the hard way!!
    Triking - it's a way of life!

www.trikenest.co.uk

Comment

ironheads?

Even when they're running it's impossible to keep your feet on the footpegs of an old sporty at 65 mph due to the vibration. The frame is flexible too and the suspension (?) sucks eggs. The kickstart will give you "Sportster knee". Nice looking bikes though.
      Shiny side up,
      650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
      XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

I wouldnt mind a hardley.... for a cafe racer.
        Too expencive here tho... the bikes.

LP
        If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
        (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Originally posted by strom
          I wouldnt mind a hardley.... for a cafe racer.
          Too expencive here tho... the bikes.

LP
          Unless it's newer Sportster you'll have to replace the frame on it if you want a bike that handles in the twisties. The old frames flex something fierce and the front forks will bottom on bumps and top out if you come over a rise fast and get airborne, they make a loud "clank" when they bottom and top out too. Damping is nearly non-existant. DAMHIK. The frame flex makes the bike take a different line under power and another when you back off the throttle. Harley people don't even notice these things because they usually don't do twisties... Nowadays Harley is using Japanese Showa forks, a big improvement over the old Harley forks.
          Shiny side up,
          650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
          XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Ah! my Sportster is Triked so handling is all a bit strange anyway
            Triking - it's a way of life!

www.trikenest.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by xs650mike
              Unless it's newer Sportster you'll have to replace the frame on it if you want a bike that handles in the twisties. The old frames flex something fierce and the front forks will bottom on bumps and top out if you come over a rise fast and get airborne, they make a loud "clank" when they bottom and top out too. Damping is nearly non-existant. DAMHIK. The frame flex makes the bike take a different line under power and another when you back off the throttle. Harley people don't even notice these things because they usually don't do twisties... Nowadays Harley is using Japanese Showa forks, a big improvement over the old Harley forks.
              No problem... I still have a set of XS11 front forks and rear shocks lying around... you couldn't reckognize it anyway... xcept for the sound maybe.

LP
              If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
              (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Working...
              X