Helmets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmets

I am definitely a newbie here, I have ridden a few dirt bikes on the farm, but just never anything close to an XS1100F. So if anyone can give me some pointers on what to look for in a helmet, I.E. how tight, face shield versus open-faced, type of padding. Anything would help.

Thanks, for the help, and an excellent place for info.

Dupman

Snug, not tight. You should not be able to move it around on your head at all, or you will have problems.

I prefer full face, with a visor that can move up and down . . . hinged.

Also I use a tinted visior while traveling . . . so make sure the visor is fairly easy to switch out.

And importantly . . . make sure it has good venting. Removable liners (washble) is also nice.

You can spend anywhere from $90 to $800 . . . I go for the $100 models, you really should replace them every 5 years or so no mattter how much you spend.
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Someone told me once that tinted visors were not legal at night in PA. I never checked, with a Vetter I just switch from sun glasses at night.

Could they have meant tinted wind screens?

Just curious.
      Marty in NW PA
      Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
      Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
      This IS my happy face.

Comment

No, I have a tinted visor and I swap it for a clear visor for night riding.

Comment

I have a Schubert Concept...
          Modular helmet (the chin part lifts up), it has clear visor and a tinted one integrated to cover the eyes when necessary... no exchange necessary. Not on the cheap side, but not too expencive.

http://www.helmetsrus.com/schubconhel.html

LP
          If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
          (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

A quality helmet makes all the difference to me, I like Shoei's my self, not the most expensive but in the top 5.

First look for the DOT & Snell certification, this means the helmet has at least passed some testing.

Shoei has a fittment section on their website that tells you the best way to pick out the right size. go to http://www.shoei-helmets.com/ and then pick the 2001 or 2002 website (depending on your computer) and then click on 'technical' and then 'choosing a helmet' for the right way to fit one.

My last three lids have been Shoei's but they may not be right for you, my wife bought a Bell, it was cheaper, still DOT and Snell certified and it fit her better than a Shoei.

Here are some pictures of my lastest lid, it is an RF800 (since replaced by the RF900):

Gary Granger
            Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
            2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Helmet Size Charts

When I was in the market for a couple of helmets earlier this year, I found Discount Motorcycle Helmets on the web and called to inquire about sizing. The salesman I talked to warned me about using the sizing charts and said that about 40% of the helmets that they sold were returned because they didn't fit. He told me that I should go to a local dealer and try on some helmets to find the manufacturer and size that actually fit my head. I did as he recommended and found an Arai and an HJC helmet that felt really good and had Snell and DOT stickers.

I ended up buying the new HJC helmets off eBay($100 with free shipping for a $200 list price each) and am very happy with the fit.
              Bill Murrin
              Nashville, TN
              1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
              1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
              2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
              2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
              1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
              2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

I have a Shoei and an HJC...sizing differences between the two, prefer the Shoei but the HJC had a heated visor option...needed when I was in Wisconsin.

Tip about trying helmets on is right on the money. Shoei uses differnt size helmet shells, some others use the same size shell and different padding to make different sizes. Had a Bell before that, older and visability not as good, but fit well and was comfortable.

I use the Shoei high definition (amber) visor for dayligh riding, switch to the clear for evening/night riding.

Don't overlook Zanotti Motors as a source for helmets...they will sell them to you at an excellent discount. Thats where I got my HJC, and they sell other brands as well. Price (with shipping) was still around $40.00 cheaper than on other web sites, and very similar to Ebay prices.

BTW, after switching to the high definition shield, I would not go back to riding with a clear shield. I wear glasses, clip-on sunglasses don't work well under the helmet. The shield cuts down glare and UV, decreases eye strain, and makes the world look a little 'greener' as it absorbes some blue. You get used to it real fast. I recommend giving one a try.
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

TRY IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT!!!

I have had a hard time finding a helmet. I have been cursed with a large head. I found 1 HJC XXL that would ALMOST fit me, but not quite.

A dealer offered to order one for me in a larger size, but when he explained that he would charge me then not give my money back, but give me a store credit, I walked out.

Since then I have been searching by phone to try and find a XXXL. The problem is that no one seems to stock one that big. Has anyone found that ANY particular brand seems to fit larger then others?

Comment

Re: TRY IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT!!!

Originally posted by dasuchbe
                    I have had a hard time finding a helmet. I have been cursed with a large head. I found 1 HJC XXL that would ALMOST fit me, but not quite.

A dealer offered to order one for me in a larger size, but when he explained that he would charge me then not give my money back, but give me a store credit, I walked out.

Since then I have been searching by phone to try and find a XXXL. The problem is that no one seems to stock one that big. Has anyone found that ANY particular brand seems to fit larger then others?
                    Check out the link above I posted... they can provide an XXXL.
                    If you're still not happy I can check another forum, where a guy had the same problem.

LP
                    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

There are two HJC XXXL LT20 Black helmets on eBay now. One is new the other isn't. To find them, go to www.ebay.com and search for "hjc xxxl". Don't use the quotes.
                      Bill Murrin
                      Nashville, TN
                      1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
                      1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
                      2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
                      2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
                      1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
                      2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

I prefer open faced myself. I have an HJC-FG3 open faced. I know the full faces are prolly safer but I like the feel of the wind in my face and the open road. I feel like im in a bubble when i wear a full face helmet. I even like half helmets but the are just not save enough. You almost never find a half helmet that is SNELL approved because they cant pass the tests.

BTW I would insist you get a SNELL approved helmet as it is the only test thats worth a lick.

DOT approved dosent mean diddly. DOT stands for Department of Transportation, a government agency (Do you think a government agency can make us all safe, humm?)

SNELL on the other hand is an independent non-profit foundation dedicated to seeing that helmets in all sports are the safest possible.

The price diff. between a SNELL helmet and not is very little and the helmet will protect you when you need it, which is hopefully never.
                        [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                        [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                        The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

My prefered lid is an ARAI but I have only been able to afford them twice, I currently have a SHOEI and am saving for the new ARAI wish me luck on my mortgage for new helmet, lol.

Comment

I asked, and I listened. Thanks everyone, what I got was,: Try it on, make sure it is not too tight, inside pads washable, snell certifide, screw DOT, and don't get in a bad cituation. (spelling bad).

Thanks KLINE P DUPLECHIN
                            Don't tell anyone my phone number is 337-725-6105, or my e-mail addeess is : dupman@hotmail.com

Comment

i.m an old guy so i like open face- but i can't wait to show my son gary g.'s helemt

Comment

Working...
                              X