battery suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery suggestions

My battery is dead and would like to find a reasonable and worthy battery. any suggestions?

Sidekick
    '80 XS1100 SG

Sealed type > Non-sealed type. Costs more though. Its worth it if you tend to be hard on batteries like me....
    80 XS1100SG
    81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Just bought a new un-sealed type from BatteriesPlus for about $40. it was the correct physical size as well as cranking amps. They also carry the sealed-gel type that you can order on-line for about twice the price. Things are pretty mild down here in Houston so I took the cheaper way out.
      82 XJ1100J "Jackel"
      78 Honda CB750-74 Honda CB750
      74 Husky 400
      70 Yamaha 360 & 70 175 enduros

Comment

I use a WestCo in mine Check out westcobattery.com

XSively
        Bruce
        Bruce Gerken
        '79 XS1100SF
        "The Black"
        '2009 BMW k1300GT'
        The Red Sled.
        St.Augustine (354-430 AD) wrote,"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page . Well motorcycles turn the book of the world into a page turner. That is often impossible to put down.

Comment

Since the access to batteries on the 11 is a real pain, my next battery will be the sealed type. I manage to get about three years out of regular style batteries. I do keep a "maintainer" on mine when its parked and check it at least once a month. Since I moved from Albuquerque, I have found the winters here alot milder but the summers more brutal, maybe batteries will last longer. Not sure whats worse on em, real cold or real hot.
          When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

The "maintainer", as you named it is the hardest on batteries. The explanation would take more space than I have here. Basically, a wet cell battery is only as good as the number of times it has to be re-charged. Number of plates and other factors attain to its quality. With that said, this is one area you get what you pay for. My original battery in my 81H lasted 5yrs, the first two outside (bike covered) in winter, as I rode it throughout winter, and started many a time with a heat lamp under it and -20 degrees. When it crapped(sulfated), it had never been out of bike or recharged. Getting bike back some 15yrs. later after selling it in 91, I put in correct size using an Interstate. Cost was $55 + tax.......well worth the little extra expense for a quality battery I think.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I was told that my cheapie would only last 3 years, but only if I bought a maintainer for $19.99, I passed.

As a side story (and maybe a warning ), I decided to take a few minutes and clean up my battery box. After what seemed like several hours and having to dismantle half of the bike, I got it out. I had no idea that I would have to take apart most of the fuse holders and other wiring mounted next to the box.

I then got the brillant idea of painting the box with rust encapsulating high gloss black paint from home depot. I bought a quart of it, used 3/4 of it painting myself and my garage floor. It went on like bad oatmeal and took forever to dry. I now have shiney black oatmeal on the frame around the box, sticking out from under the side cover.

After putting everything back together the next day I turned the key and nothing. My special paint had encapsulated all of the ground connections. I had to scrape it off to get the battery and fuse block to ground again.
              82 XJ1100J "Jackel"
              78 Honda CB750-74 Honda CB750
              74 Husky 400
              70 Yamaha 360 & 70 175 enduros

Comment

battery

Just bought a new un-sealed type from BatteriesPlus for about $40. it was the correct physical size as well as cranking amps. They also carry the sealed-gel type that you can order on-line for about twice the price. Things are pretty mild down here in Houston so I took the cheaper way out.
                even though i work for them i couldn't said it better myself. we carry quite a few different models that will fit the xs/xj all reasonably price. we currently have a national promo going $5 off all bike batteries.

i will keep saying it until i am blue in the face.

odyssey pc680mj

www.odysseyfactory.com

Comment

Working...
                X