First ride.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First ride.

Took my first ride of the season today. Hit prime on the petcock, hit the starter and it fired up. Ran rough for the first 1/4 mile then smoothed right out (aahhh Seafoam, tune-up in a can, put it in the tank in the winter for storage when I do the oil change). Only a twenty minute ride to work and back. It's nice to start the season with a bike in good working order unlike years passed. Bought The Preachers Bike two years before My Midnight Ride wasn't in the greatest shape ( Can you say GELLED GAS in the carbs and GELLED BRAKE FLUID in the master cylinders.) Took two years to get the parts off e-bay to get it running. Was to be the wife's bike but she has decided to keep Training Wheels (so named because the kids learned to ride on it.) Now if I can stay away from birds, squirls and my own stupidity It's going to be a fun year. Need that first parking lot practice of the season though. Would like to make it to Brag N Drag but thats my better half's birthday (a Special One) so don't know if we'll make it.

Ed Z.
    It's an 80 LG My Midnight Ride
    81 XJ650 MAXIM The Preachers Bike (Gone but not forgotten)
    82 KZ 305 CSR Training Wheels (now my daughters)
    82 GS 850 GL SWMBO's (HER RIDE)

'He who wanders is not always lost."

She should enjoy being in the great outdoors on her birhtday with you. I mean you could just go and not invite her.
    There's always a way, figure it out.
    78XS11E

Comment

She's done with the camping thing. Her dad was a Boy Scout leader so every summer they would take a two week tour of the country. She's camped in all lower 48 and says that's enough.

Now hop on the bike to make a seven hour each way day trip is no problem.

Ed Z.

Comment

done with the camping thing

As soon as our first was born, she put an end to camping out.
        Took me a little while but got her interested agin. She would camp out anytime as long as it was in a lodge or hotel.

mro

Comment

SWMBO's idea of roughing it is staying in a hotel without in room Jacuzzi.
          Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
          78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
          02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

I guess we would fit the mold of "re-entry riders" while we never reallly quit riding we have taken a year off here or there because of the kids. Now they're grown (oldest 24 is getting married in July and the youngest 22 moved out last month) we're ready for some longer trips this season, been working on getting in touring condition for two years (going on longer rides, getting the bikes in reliable condition, repeating skill manuvers in parking lots to find the limits of bikes and riders. Before the kids it was nothing to wake up on a saturday moring say " Let's see Brad today", Jump on the XS750 and go. He lived 4 hours out, we would have a good time from noon sat til noon sun and head home. Looking to do some of those this year.

Ed Z

Comment

I got in 200 miles today. Go piddled on, but the old rain suit still works well. I also reaffirmed that I hate the Interstate. Jeeze, that's boring. Hopped off of I70 and on to US 40. Made the ride a little slower, but way more interesting, Llama anyone?
              Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
              78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
              02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

One of my favorite rides is Hwy 2 south to Oregon, Il. then cross the Rock river go north to the state park with Blackhawk's statue.
                Lunch in the park overlooking the river, then back north home.

Ed Z.

Comment

Working...
                X