Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haynes vs. Clymer

Haynes wins!! Hands down!

Just got the Haynes manual for my XS400 and was reading through it today. Much, much better than the Clymer manual for the 11. It actually explains how and why the parts work and not just how to take them apart. Makes me want to look up one of the old Haynes XS1100 manuals.

Besides, it's all proper. It's mostly designed for Britian, it seems. Tyres, and whilst's, and colours, oh my!
    80 XS1100SG
    81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Clymer vs Haynes

Still don't have a manual for my XS11 but I've got both Haynes and Clymer for the XS650 and XS400. Best to have both but if I had to have only one I'd definitely pick Haynes. For one thing the illustrations are soooo much better. The Clymer drawings look like they were done by old Floyd Clymer himself in the last throws of Parkinson's disease. The Haynes XS400 manual is especially nice with all of the models and their variations listed in the back. Haynes manuals actually list the authors which Clymer manuals don't. Seems like there would be more incentive to be accurate if your name's going on the finished product.

Be nice to have factory manuals too!
    Shiny side up,
    650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
    XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

"Yes, I hate that, too."

Hanes are OK..., though I prefer "Fruit of the Loom", myself.
      As for those "Climbers"... Man, I hate it when you're walking and they creep up the crack o' your arse!
      Wait... what are we talking about again?
      Oh... I see. Sorry
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I always go for the hanes over clymer whether its for bikes, boats or cars. Over the years I have found alot of errors in the Clymer books.
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

I think they both suck. My money goes to a factory manual every time.

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer
            I think they both suck. My money goes to a factory manual every time.

Geezer
            It's nice to have the factory manual, I had one for my XJ750RH but I still had to buy a Haynes manual because it told all the ways to get around buying those pricy special factory tools which the factory manual called for. Many times the factory tools turned out to be unobtanium anyway.
            Shiny side up,
            650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
            XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

I think they both suck

Factory manuals are better for a mechanic/tech

After market (as long as they don't creep up the crack ) are generally better for newbees.

mro

Comment

I use Clymers and common sense. I havn't had a chance to use the haynes so I wouldn't know what it contains. I havn't had any problems. No matter what manual you use though, Common sense will go along way. A good example is in the ignition system. ( spark plug gap ) The stats in the book are for everything in new condition. Over time things deterate and it takes a little more to make the same thing happen. Back to the example of plug gap. Say the book says to set the gap at .038. You may think about setting them at .035 or .030. These are just examples and may not apply to your bike.
                Also. There is a degree of variance like setting the timing. +/- 3 degrees is usually the general rule for stock. When you start to go after market, the book is pretty much just a referance, or base to start. Trial and error and common sense.
                Damm, I'm ramblin agian,
                S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                1-big XS patch
                1-small XS/XJ patch
                1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

I use what I can get but the facoty manuals are always the best.

The worst manuals are Chilton. I don't know how they stay in business... I only recomend chilton manuals for starting camp fires.

Geezer
                  Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

vs.

I haven't compared the haynes with clymers, but for autos I have compared haynes with chilton. Chilton will beat haynes. I like to buy two different books for any project I plan to have. Its nice to have another perspective on reairs or mods. I have also found a ton of typos in the Haynes. Escpecially in the wire diagrams.
                    "If it weren't for a budget I'd be bored."

Thom
                    79 xs11sf - Rented Mule
                    80 xs11sg
                    81 sr250t- sold to Pain

Comment

Working...
                    X