No announcement yet.

May not be riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pat, as one of the many members you've helped on this forum know that my thoughts and prayers go out to you and wish a speedy recovery.

Ed. Z
    It's an 80 LG My Midnight Ride
    81 XJ650 MAXIM The Preachers Bike (Gone but not forgotten)
    82 KZ 305 CSR Training Wheels (now my daughters)
    82 GS 850 GL SWMBO's (HER RIDE)

'He who wanders is not always lost."

Comment

Pat,

I can empathize, SWMBO rolled our Jeep on Wednesday and took quite a knock on the noggin, seatbelt not withstanding. She is now experiencing symptoms similar to yours and the doctor offers an explanation about swelling and fluid. She is still hospitalized, I think I and going pick up some ginger tablets before I head to the hospital tomorrow morning.

I'll be praying for you as well, Pat. I know how I would feel if something were to keep me from riding...
      Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
      78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
      02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

It hasn't stopped me yet, I've been riding to/from work (yes, even in the rain).
        Not sure how an XStended ride would be.
        10 days so far. This is really getting on my nerves. From talking with people that have relatives/know someone with it, it seems to last a couple of months.
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Best Wishes

Best Wishes for you as you get through this thing. I hope it is of short duration.

Big Pat

Comment

Pat,

I too send my prayers and best wishes for a speedy recovery, do be careful out there, I can't imagine riding without all my balance and coordination.

Maybe you should drive a cage for awhile just so we'll get to talk to ya s'more.

Be careful, and God go with you when you ride.
            '82 Xj1100j

"Ride for the Son"

< )) ><

John

Comment

Good luck on your recovery. Glad you're at least doing some riding.
              Don
              99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

We'll take Pat for a ride. We can ride 3 per lane... keep him in the middle and catch him when he leans too far one way.... On second thought... scratch that! lol.

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

As of Sunday afternoon I was still dizzy, non-stop dizzy. Been going to work and trying to do everything as usual. Sunday afternoon I was working in the yard installing a sprinkler system. Got done for the day, sat down on the couch to watch the Sacramento Kings basketball game. Wife said dinner was ready, I stood up and I wasn't dizzy. I walked to the kitchen and told wife I wasn't dizzy but my ear was still ringing. She said "Great! How's your ear?" (and I have problems?).
                  I watched the 1st half of the game then fell asleep on the couch. I woke-up around 11 and headed to bed, I was dizzy again .
                  Now it almost feels like it is transferring to the other ear (not that uncommon).
                  Still riding, still planning on the Tax ride and hopefully doing Solvang.
                  Pat Kelly
                  <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                  1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                  1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

Been really busy the last few weeks and haven't been following the forum very closely. Hope you recover soon Pat!

I had a somewhat similar off-the-wall thing where I lost feeling in my left pinky and ring finger. Docs all said it would go away but couldn't say when. Something to do with irritation of the ulnar nerve sheath. No treatment for it. I couldn't play guitar and had to cancel a bunch of gigs. Worse, I couldn't book any because I had no idea when I'd get over it. After about 7 months I started to recover and eventually it went away. Now I've got pins and needles again and some gigs coming up. On the bright side it's happening just after I finished cutting my new CD. At least I can ride though...and I've always been dizzy.

Again, best wishes for a speedy recovery Pat.
                    Shiny side up,
                    650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                    XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

You've got some NERVE!!

Hey Mike,

I went to a medical conference many years ago, and in the auditorium, they had these wooden round arm chairs with hard wood arm rests. I sat there resting my arms on the rest, most of the time with my hands held upwards, so that groove in your elbow where you can hit your funny bone/nerve, was pressing against the armrests for about 8 hours that day. I was alright at the end of that day, but the next day, my little and ring fingers were going numb. Lasted for many months also. I had to work hard to try NOT to rest my arms on anything that would put pressure in that same groove. ALso took lots of Motrin to try to help reduce the inflammation systemically. Would probably take ALEVE now. Some folks are recommended to wrap the elbows in a sheepskin type protector that you can get at a pharmacy/medical supply store, they attach with velcro, to help prevent pressure during sleeping!?

SO, just wanted to mention about trying to keep the pressure off of that location, might help reduce the inflammation a little quicker!?
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks TC,

Doctors already told me about that one, armrest in my Chrysler, I don't use it now. I am also keeping my arms off the armrests of my computer chair. They also prescribed a wrist splint to wear while I sleep to insure that my wrist isn't being cramped inward. Don't know what's causing the relapse but so far it's only pins and needles not totally numb so I can still play guitar and tell the shift key from the caps lock without looking. I can't take Motrin or Aleve because they hurt my stomach but I can handle aspirin and am taking that. The docs also said there are various infectious agents which can cause inflammation of the nerve sheath so it may not be direct pressure on the ulnar nerve that's causing it. They also said that it might be inflammation centered on the pinky branch of the nerve in the forearm area, either in the nerve sheath or surrounding tissue. Doesn't really matter since there are no real treatments other than what you and I have already mentioned except time. This info is from 3 General Medicine docs and 2 neurologists so I guess I've just got to wait.

For those who slept through anatomy in high school physiology class, the ulnar nerve is the "funny bone" nerve in your elbow that causes that electric shock when you hit it. One branch of that nerve serves the pinky and half of the ring finger.
                        Shiny side up,
                        650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                        XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

i know what you need

pat
                          jim from australia
                          get you dr to prescribe a holiday in australia.we can ride all year here.i have got 2 road bikes 2 dirt bikes and a ocean going boat.
                          sone r&r in australia might just fix you up.if not we will have a lot of fun any way.
                          ps
                          thanks again for the drink brake at your house in 2004.hope to have you over one day
                          cheers
                          from all in australia

Comment

Jim,
                            With my dizzyness everything is spinning clockwise.
                            A trip "down-under" should unwind everything counter-clockwise
                            Pat Kelly
                            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                            1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

Pat,
                              'haven't been watching the board lately; 'sorry to hear of your predicament - if you need some help CALL me - if you can't find my tel. # it's in the Yellow Pages under musical instrument repair...

God be with you,
                              Ron

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Working...
                              X