Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warm wet stuff running down my leg...

Oh #%&!

That's my oil coming out that hole in the casing. I made it from Michigan to Florida for bike week and then got within 80 miles of home before a rod went and punched a hole in the engine casing. The 78E will be sitting out the riding season and I get to spend more time on ebay looking for a bottom end.

I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Been there, done that with my Norton, know how you feel, my sympathies.

Steve

PS do you know why it happened? Guess you didn't run out of oil?
    80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
    73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
    62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
    Norton Electra - future restore
    CZ 400 MX'er
    68 Ducati Scrambler
    RC Planes and Helis

Comment

XS walmart

Think Andreas still has a complete motor

mro

Comment

Yes still have a complete xs1100h model with approx 20,000 miles on it. If you need the bottom end I can break it down for you. Shipping should not be to bad. Let me know what exactly you would be looking for. andreas

Comment

thanks guys,

I do not know what happened, in fact I am not sure yet whether it was the rod or the bearing cap that let go. I can see in there but did not have much time to look after I got home before I had to head out for work. The bike spent a long time in storage before I got it and it may have had a bad spot on the bearing already, and it just finally gave up. I am going to drop the motor this weekend and get a look at how bad it is. I am hoping I can get it back running with a crank, connecting rod and bearings, it would be nice to keep the #'s matching even if it is not a show bike. I have ridden the bike in 2 provinces and 12 states so we have been on a lot or roads. The bike didn't seize I hit the kill switch and coast off the road right away so maybe I will get lucky. If damage is severe it is good to know I'll be able to get a some donor parts.

It was pretty cool to ride down to Florida and pass by all those HD's on trailers on I95.

Keep you posted.
          Scott
          I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

Wow...first one I have ever heard of (that was still in a bike) that blew a rod through the case. Sorry

Buy a complete motor and just swap it...much cheaper and less time then messing with bottom end.

Good Luck!!
            Gary Granger
            Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
            2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Hole in case.

I purchased an '80 Special (parts bike) late last year and it had a hole in the case. The hole is about quarter size just right of center in the top of the case. The bike only showed 66k (used and abused) miles but it had been sitting for at least a decade.

Be safe and strong,

Big Pat

Comment

Working...
              X