Hey XS650Mike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey XS650Mike

'just got a poster for my shop; the Charlatans - a band Mike Wilhelm was in during the '60s. They were on the bill with Steppenwolf (Sparrow) and Canned Heat

check out the post: http://www.unclespot.com/XS11Mike.jpg

...we're in the midst of Rock'n'Roll Royalty

1980 XS1100SG

Royalty? Just where ARE my royalties anyway?

Yeah Ron, I remember that poster and that show. How much did you have to pay for the poster? They used to give 'em away free! Proves once and for all that some of those who remember the '60s were actually there. Whoa, the screen's getting all wavy just thinking about it...

Ah yes, the Summer of Love...(flashback)...it's all coming back to me now...

The Charlatans tuning up for a free concert (for the great unwashed who couldn't afford two bucks to get in to the Avalon or Fillmore), Golden Gate Park Panhandle, 1967. Me in my trademark black sombrero with silver conch band. Photo by Gene Anthony (at the time a photog for Life magazine). He dropped out to become a rock photographer.

Another pic from the same shoot as the poster. Photo by famed rock photog Herb Greene who was our official photographer.

Onstage at Avalon Ballroom, April, 1967, same gig as the poster.

Onstage with Dan Hicks last fall at the memorial concert for promoter Chet Helms held at Speedway Meadow, Golden Gate Park + another Charlatans pic from the same show, (left to right) Richard Olsen, George Hunter, Dan Hicks.

The late great Charlatans pianist and poster artist, Michael Ferguson with his 9mm Beretta which he wouldn't be caught dead without. I suppose it's buried with him. He had a sign posted on the end of his piano, "PLEASE DON'T SHOOT THE PIANO PLAYER, HE'S DOING HIS BEST."
    Shiny side up,
    650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
    XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

&quot;Damned Long-haired, Hippy freaks...&quot;

Just jealous 'cause the only posters of me are hangin' on the wall of the post office. (they don't do that anymore, do they?)
      First is was them damned hippys and now it's those shiftless teenagers. "Turn your hat around, pull your pants up and get a job!"
      Summer of Love, my ass! I was seven years old.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Re: &quot;Damned Long-haired, Hippy freaks...&quot;

Originally posted by prometheus578
        Just jealous 'cause the only posters of me are hangin' on the wall of the post office. (they don't do that anymore, do they?)
        First is was them damned hippys and now it's those shiftless teenagers. "Turn your hat around, pull your pants up and get a job!"
        Summer of Love, my ass! I was seven years old.
        Careful there Pro, we were armed damned long-haired hippy freaks, smile when you say that.

We weren't really hippies. I always told the teenage runaways who sat on the sidewalks of Haight Street asking for "Spare Change?" to "Go home or get a job!" It was all those young fools with no clue and no means of support that brought our whole cool scene down. Flowers in your hair, my ass!
        Shiny side up,
        650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
        XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Working...
        X