Heat shrink tubing durability?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat shrink tubing durability?

I am wondering how electrical heat shrink tubing would hold up to oil and engine opertating temps. The reason I ask is that I am redoing the wiring on my buddies '77 ZK1000 stator. It is a wet type and I need to keep the individual coiled wires from contacting one another. Would the heatshrink tubing hold up? If not, what could I use?
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

.. it should be fine Jessy, the oil will never get hot enough to cause the plastic to break down or melt like the heat gun or cig lighter you will use to make it shrink.
    ..you'll notice how the heat shrink gets hard after you heat it

Comment

I've used heat shrink on a few stators with no problems.
      "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Awesome! ThanXS guys
        '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Stager your lengths so as not to make one big clump of wires. You can then slide a bigger piece over all the individual wires that are soldered and shrink tubed.
          "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Ancor marine grade heat shrink has a sealer inside.... i use this stuff in the bilge full of oily water with no worries.
            Shawn
            78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
            78 XS1100E Parts
            www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

I concur!
              I accidentally got ahold of some of that marine-grade stuff, once. I made it just a bit too long and had a heck of a time cutting it back! It filled in between the wires very WELL!
              s'neat stuff!
              RLMcD
              XJ1100J Maxim (Arlington)
              Ruby Red
              XS1100E (no name yet)
              Macho Maroon

Comment

I don't know if it is marine grade, but clear stuff came out the ends once and looked pretty sealed.
                '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
                X