exhaust modifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust modifications

I am a new xs1100 special owner 1979 and have a question about drilling the end of the exhaust for more noise. The bike is too quiet and I was curious if I would mess up the jetting etc. I am also interested in a fork brace used if possible if any one has one for sale.
    Shack
    79 xs11 Special "SOLD Aug 26 2003"
    2001 GSF K 1200 Bandit "BIG 12"
    Oct 02
    2001 GSF Naked + Black 1200 Dec 03
    3176 miles

Greetings fellow XS11 owner,
    For a source on a fork brace [new] try the XS11/XJ11 Discussion forum on this site. Go to page 2, the thread is "starter button" the "man" is tKat.
    As for your jetting question; there are others in this group that have more knowledge/experience than I . I don't want to steer you wrong,but in my "opinion" drilling several holes in the muffler end-cap would not affect jetting. Key Word: "opinion".
    Early this spring I replaced my mufflers with J.C. Whitney replacements. My bike was quieter than stock! I lost power on "roll-on" acceleration and lost 10 mpg. Remedy: I took a hack-saw and removed/cut out, one half of the "removable steel baffle".
    Even gave the old girl a little personality [sound].

Greg C.
    1980 XS1100-G
    Last edited by xsivebiker; 08-27-2002, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Drilled out mufflers

Greg,

I bought my '81SH this year and someone had drilled eight holes in the end of each muffler. Now that I got it to stop backfiring it isn't that loud. I thought it was way too loud before, but I am about to turn 55 and everything is loud to me. I have a friend that is going to weld up the holes for me.

I guess I think that if you have enough of a bike you don't need to adveritse with noise. I'll leave that to the Harley riders and the guys with the wheely bars.

Bill Murrin
      Nashville, TN
      Bill Murrin
      Nashville, TN
      1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
      1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
      2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
      2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
      1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
      2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Bill,
        I should have stated that I replaced my mufflers out of necessity. The old ones were hole ridded and becoming a threat to my next state inspection.
        As for my modification; I deemed it easier than rejetting. I just tuned my exhaust for the current carb settings. Six allen bolts and a hack saw versus four carbs, etc, etc, etc,etc.
        I'm 41 and don't care for [parden the pun] excessive noise either. Frankly, I'm no street racer and we've all been around bikes that are so noisy [loud] that we'd find a nuisance to ride. I don't go for that either.

Greg C.
        1980 XS1100-G [fully dressed]

Comment

Hey Shack,
          I love a good solid sounding bike myself and understand your desire to get the rumble. But I just have one question. Do you know if the muffs are original stock and in good shape. If so I wouldnt drill them just because they are VERY hard to come by. I have original stock ones on my bike and I am very fortunate to have them remain in such good shape.
          Anyway, it all comes down to what you want I guess. As far as jetting, I too dont think you will have to rejet but you can always check your plugs and see how they are affected. It may also depend on other mods you might do.
          You can also try the individual filters install, from what I understand that can give you a better sound. You can check out a recent thread about indi filters and such here.

Check you the tips sections for info on jetting and the like.

About Tkats fork brace. I love mine, I highly recomed it. You can also check out his fork brace at his web site here. You can see the picts of the brace for both the standard and the special.
          Last edited by Wayne; 08-28-2002, 07:30 AM.
          [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
          [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
          The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

exhaust modifications

Hey Wayne,
            Thanx for the advice. My bike is a one owner bike except for 18 months of the second owner who put 800 miles on it. I am pretty sure everything is original inside the exhaust. I added a K&N filter, but can't tell a difference from the stock one, but am sure it flows better. I will probably opt for the tkat brace soon and hope it will help. Sometimes the bike feels a little loose in the front. I did add progressive shocks with HD springs and it rides much better since the orig shocks were leaking. I also had a leak in the rear wheel so I put new seals and bearings. My wifes' family lives near La Porte they live in Baytown. Maybe some day we could meet and talk bikes or what ever. I am not sure what I will do about the exhaust, but the single filters will flood out if ridden in rain, so I hear? Keep ridn for the son.
            Shack
            Shack
            79 xs11 Special "SOLD Aug 26 2003"
            2001 GSF K 1200 Bandit "BIG 12"
            Oct 02
            2001 GSF Naked + Black 1200 Dec 03
            3176 miles

Comment

Well Shack the thread i spoke of in the previous post has lots of guys saying that the rain isnt an issue with indy filters, just gota be careful when washing the bike.
              I, too, added the Progressive fork springs. That with Tkats fork brace turned the XS into a new bike for me, especially since I have a full touring model. And I have a K&N and it does make a difference fer sher although I have some indi filters and am considering giving them a try.

Id love to get with you if your ever in the neighborhood. Are you busy on the weekend of Sept. 27-29? I am hosting the 1st annual TeXSive Rally in Kerville Tx. Check out the info here. We would love to have you come ride with us.
              [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
              [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
              The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

Working...
              X