Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poker Runs and other events

Hi guys, Merry Christmas!

I am a member of a Fraternal institution that is deeply involved in charity and will be assuming the mantle of leadership for a year or two next summer. As such, I want to incorporate motorcycles in my fund raising attempts (Charity can be expensive, we gave away $150,000 last year). My thoughts are running towards some sort of ride event or maybe a show and shine. I have never ridden a Poker Run, how do they work and has anyone ever set one up?

One idea I had was a "Bridge Poker" ride. We have a large number of Covered Bridges in the area that I could set up in an easy 100 mile ride. Any thoughts on if that sounds like fun?

Thanks for not laughing at this off roader turned road rider for his ignorance.
    Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
    78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
    02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

poker

the ones i go to are drinking related, but easy to convert for your situation. Find or have 5,7,9,11 stops or destinations. At each destination someone on your crew will be set up at a table or chair. They will have the club stamp or marking (so people don't cheat make it unique so it can't be just drawn in ) At each stop the person or persons will get a check mark. When everyone stops at the meeting place they will draw cards for the number of stops they made.(some people only do 5 out of 11 , or 6 out of 11 etc. ) The best poker hand wins. Some runs give you messed up directions (to make it fun) others give you XSact routes straight to the place. (i like the messed up ones myself ,makes it a challenge) When i say messed up i mean like go 5miles to smiths farm turn left past the milk house go for like 10 miles take turner road to the river etc. etc. Anyway usually 100 or so miles for a one day ride. At meeting place usually food and drink ,music dancing etc. prize hand out you get the picture. have fun and if you got questions let us know. and yes they are fun, haven't been to a bad one yet.
    1982 XJ 1100
    going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
    now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

that all sounds like a fun idea and it would be right in my backyard since i am from middletown ohio and blue is just north of me and chevy hiut it right on the head with what he said
      79 yamaha xs1100f standard
      best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

Okay, I'll start looking into this. It sounds like a lot of fun. I have about 6 or 7 months come up with something. Should keep me busy.

Any idea what entry fees for something like this usually are? $25? $30? I envision the Run itself, a show and shine either before or after with some prizes like best overall, oldest, people's choice, longest distance. Entertainment of some sort (some of my Brothers can tap into a Bluegrass band or two), a cookout and of course, Beer (at the end of the run, I'm a firm believer in sobriety on two wheels Or Four for that Matter )

Advertising the run will be important, of course there will details here!!!!
        Papa Gino

78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"

Comment

Entrance fees are usually $10-$20 in my neck of the woods. I like exact route sheets with maps myself which means one can ride one's own ride and even choose a different route between checkpoints. I once rode a run put on by an outlaw club...no route sheet at all so there were 450 bikes in one giant parade, pretty doggone nerve wracking and downright dangerous. I don't think I'll ever ride any poker run with no route sheet again.
          Shiny side up,
          650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
          XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

yea i say 10-20 entry fee. also. but for charity so 25 is not unreasonable. Yes getting the word out important. Ask local radio station to help sponser the charity (free advertising.. ) i hang with the XScuse me drinking harley crowd so they go to bars...i do sodas. but at the checkin places could maybe sell something to drink or hot dogs (to help pay for the goodies and awards and such.) might even want to look into having the check points at local bike shops or other type places that can help out with donations and such. It is for charitys ya know.. So if it was me i'd be trying to bring in the most money or freebees to pay for the things your doing so moneies collected from the riders can go to your favorite Charities. just some rambling thoughts from a alzimmers patient
            1982 XJ 1100

Comment

I hadn't thought of the selling drinks and snacks at the checkpoints, but that makes tremendous sense. I was going to check with the local shops and see what I could rangle from them as far as prizes. There are two superb bike shops in Springfield (Ohio, real close to here) that would welcome a lot full of bikes. Might be a good selling point to get some prizes.

I too suffer from 'Oldtimers'.
              Papa Gino

78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"

Comment

Just a suggestion, most of the poker runs I've been on have had one draw a card at each of 5 checkpoints which I think is more fun somehow than drawing all at the end. Best hand I ever had was my first poker run...full house, 3 aces and 2 jacks. Wasn't worth anything! Every other time it's been nothing at all.

Another idea. Sell raffle tickets for some nice sponsor donated prizes at sign-up. Many riders will purchase long strings of these and it'll up your revenue tremendously.
                Shiny side up,
                650 Mike

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

cards

drawing cards at each stop no no (unless you can be certain they can not be duplicated) money prizes do bring dishonest people out of the woodwork. I have seen people cheating at those events Best to draw cards were you are in control and only one deck of cards is needed. Just a thought...lol (sorry 650 i met no harm i just saw bad people wrecking a good thing before)raffles always good but then you knew that...
                  1982 XJ 1100

Comment

Cheating?

When the cards are drawn at each stop the rider's sheet is marked by an official thereby precluding cheating, of course it's then possible to get 5 aces but what the hey. Actually there are always ways to cheat I suppose but most riders wouldn't dream of it. One run that I rode in (the outlaw one) each rider was given a punch card sealed in an envelope with 52 squares around the edges of the envelope. At checkpoints you would indicate which square you wanted punched and the official would punch it. When you got to the final stop the envelope was opened by an official and your hand was revealed. Far from precluding cheating this made it entirely possible for those "in the know" to indicate the "correct" punches at checkpoints and make off with the best prizes. I was highly suspicious until the prizes were given out and some of the best went to non club members so I guess it was on the up and up. I didn't win that fine pearl white modular helmet I had my eyes on, damn! The food was good though.
                    Shiny side up,
                    650 Mike

Comment

I've done some brainstorming on it and presented my idea to my Fraternal brothers, the consenus is "go for it". I like the draw at end of ride concept since it is more secure. SWMBO deals in rubber stamps so the uniqueness factor on the sheets is easy to control, I'll have a specific unique stamp for each stop. I was thinking a mixture of the local covered bridges and at least two local bike shops (if I drop riders on their doorsteps, I'm more likely to get better stuff as prizes from them).

I think a Show and Shine prior to the ride with a Coffee Can balloting system for best bikes works for charity. Yes, YOU can buy yourself first place, it's charity and money talks.

After ride activities would be a dinner, beer, conversation and hopefully, some entertainment, a raffle or auction and a 50/50.

I am shooting for an August Date, maybe late July, since there is a great Air show here in Dayton at the end of July and some riders might like to take that in as well. I'll get busy.
                      Papa Gino

78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"

Comment

One thing that you need to think about carefully for safety reasons is the locations of the checkpoints. There should be plenty of room for riders to park and congregate and it's best if riders don't have to turn left into a checkpoint across opposing traffic. It should also be an easy spot to pull back onto the road with good sight lines. I've ridden a couple of runs where it was dangerous getting in and out of checkpoints, one had an off-camber left turn entrance and a rider fell making the turn. Another had a dirt parking lot on a grade and a couple of Harley dressers got dropped while parking.
                        Shiny side up,
                        650 Mike

Comment

bottles and drinking

don't forget bottles of booze are relitively cheap and people will be more then willing to buy raffle tics. for them (espesialy for charity)2 bucks each sell 20 per bottle. just a thought and remember it doesn't have to be just bike shops for sponsers,try local shopping stores meat markets etc.etc. a lot of them have there own banners and such think big the more raffles and givaways the better.
                          Last edited by chevy45412001; 12-27-2005, 10:15 AM.
                          1982 XJ 1100

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the tip about the parking. I had wanted to use a few of the local covered bridges as stops, but the parking issue had weighed in the back of my mind and you reaffirmed it. I am now looking at places like two major bike shops, the Air Force Museum (if I can get permission), one or two local watering holes and a few other places that might be interesting. The booze raffle is a good idea, I had already put a 50/50 on the agenda as well as gifts from local bike shops and stores.
                            Papa Gino

78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"

Comment

hey blue

don't also forget you can raffle ANYthing,small coolers (igloo playmate etc.) small cd players 10 dollar kinds , smoky joe grills 20 dollar variety,you know the deal. People love to help people. I've won many raffles spent much money too but it's all 4 charity,so i don't mind...
                              1982 XJ 1100

Comment

Working...
                              X