Vetter Windjammer V windshield Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vetter Windjammer V windshield Removal

I am needing to remove my windshield and for the life of me I can not figure out how. I have looked it over a few times but I have not figured out how to get the headlight cavity removed. The piece on the front of the faring is part of the headlight and covers part of the bolts that hold the windshield on.

I thought I needed to take the round head light out to gain access to he mounting studs but I can't, for the life of me figure out how to get that out either with out breaking.

Please help...LOL I can send pictures if needed.

Now I am counting on someone to help me.... Don't let me down...
    David N7TWT in Avondale, AZ
    1978 XS 1100E Owner

You should not need to remove the headlight to remove the windshield. I have the same fairing on my bike, and have had it apart to paint.
    To remove the windshield,
    1. Remove all the nylon screws holding the shield on to the shell.
    2. remove the two nuts holding the clips on the top sides of the windshield.
    3. The windshield should come off, with a little flexing.
    If there is a screw in the center position of the shield, you will have to remove the COMPLETE light assembly to get it out. Look on the bottom of the plastic, square cover around the light, and you should see two phillips head screws. remove those to loosen the cover. You will then need to remove the headlight bulb, and the two bolts holding the bucket on to the fairing. ( one bolt on each side of the bucket) You then unscrew the headlight adjuster ALL THE WAY. and remove the peices from the inside of the bucket.
    The bucket should then come off, with some prying and the proper set of words. You can then take the square cover off the fairing, and remove the last center screw, if it's in the way.
    Good luck, and just go slow. it is plastic, so it will flex a little to help with the disassembly.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
    X