Valvoline MC oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valvoline MC oil

Been a few comments that Valvoline mc oil seems to be better than other oils.

Have read the "Articles" section about oil (twice) and "Tech Tips" oil section.

Seem to be MISSING the part about how clutches are negatively impacted by high quality car/diesel motor oil

Please steer me in the right direction. Search including "Oil" will bring up more posts than

mro

btw
    You can bee the first to post a testimonial at the Valvoline MC Oil web site. Don’t know if you get anything for it.

Also thinking about copy/post part of the oil article there

.. i like it, i am using the Valvoline 20/50 mc oil in two of my bikes for about 2 months now. my clutches were slipping on the red bike when i changed to the Valvoline, i changed the oil the same day i ordered a new set of clutches, by the time the new clutches had arived from Bike Bandit the old clutches were not slipping any more, now i have a new set of clutches sitting on the shelf..
    .. the Valvoline mc oil made the engine sound quieter, the transmision shifts smoother now and there is no sign of the clutches slipping .. cost per qt about $3.20
    .. i will buy this stuff for my bikes from now on

Comment

The trouble usually comes from using any oil with friction modifiers in it. That's what makes the oil just too slippery for the wet clutch in an XS.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

OK Ya twisted my arm and talked me into it. I had to go to Valvolines site and do the testimonial thing. I like the Valvoline oil. It does a great job and is cheeper then Honda HP4,
        S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
        1-big XS patch
        1-small XS/XJ patch
        1-XS/XJ owners pin.
        1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
        2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
        1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
        1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

I have been contemplating switching from Suzuki 50W (PO ran it) to either Rotella or Valvoline MC (I use Valvoline in SWMBO's van and the Beast with good results). In your testimonial, can you give us some insight as to what effect Valvoline MC has on the Hard Shifting characteristics of our Beloved XS's? There have a been a few shifts that I swore I broke a toe!

Also, has anyone used both and can shed light on which is a better choice? Battle Cruiser is very moderate in his oil use (leaks most of what he loses), but has a rock grinder for a transmission.
          Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
          78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
          02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

I've heard nothing but good about Valvoline oils, both for autos and for bikes. Guy at the NAPA store says the oil sold under the NAPA brand is in fact made by Valvoline. Haven't ever used their oil in bikes. My friend swears by Kendall, uses it in his cars, Britbikes and Harley. When he can't get Kendall MC oil he just uses their auto oil in his bikes and has had no clutch problems as far as I know.

I'm using Shell Rotella T in my bikes currently. My XS1100SF shifts somewhat smoother with this oil and I'm pleased with it. Only costs $1.99/qt. at K-mart. Available in single quarts or 1 gallon containers. My other bikes all shift smoothly no matter what the oil though the clutch on my 400 was starting to get a little slippy with the 15w50 Mobil 1 auto oil I had been running. Haven't taken it to redline since I changed the oil so I don't know if the Rotella has helped the clutch but it's by far the highest mileage bike I've got.
            Shiny side up,
            650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
            XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

NAPA

NAPA 20-50 oil and filers is all I have used for 27 years and a 177.000 miles on (The Black). So what do ya get with a better oil?I change my oil every 3000 miles.

XSively
              Bruce
              Bruce Gerken
              '79 XS1100SF
              "The Black"
              '2009 BMW k1300GT'
              The Red Sled.
              St.Augustine (354-430 AD) wrote,"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page . Well motorcycles turn the book of the world into a page turner. That is often impossible to put down.

Comment

Napa oil is Valvoline, which is an Ashland oil product, which is made in Ashland Ky. Napa filters I think are made by Wix. I use to use that combo in all my cages till I XSpierienced full synthetic ( and napa rose their prices )
                S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                1-big XS patch
                1-small XS/XJ patch
                1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

NAPA filters are made by Wix. Wix makes, and NAPA sells the 6002 series bike filters? Really? What is the P/N? I know AutoZone sells the STP version of the filter. It is P/N SMO-02. The last STP filter that I bought had a Fram P/N label in the bag with the O rings, so they are probably all made at the same factory.

Comment

A lot of companies buy-out stock of stores that are going out of business. Merchandise is then reboxed to what the store sells.
                    Napa may buy all the parts for pennies on the dollar from a small chain of "Mom and Pop" stores that went bankrupt. They then rebox all their (for example) Fram filters into Napa boxes.
                    Wix does make filters for several companies. Except for the FL1A, all Motorcraft filters are Wix.
                    Sometime the house brand is manufactured or reboxed from a name brand. Pampers and Huggies are made in the same factory.
                    Jack in the Box is owned by Foodmaker Inc. which is a subsidiary of Ralston Purina...... people chow.
                    Pat Kelly
                    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Kelly
                      Jack in the Box is owned by Foodmaker Inc. which is a subsidiary of Ralston Purina...... people chow.
                      Do you mean to say that Soylent Green is (*gasp*choke*) people?
                      Shiny side up,
                      650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                      XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Kelly
                        That explains why pretty much every product on their menu has the exact same consistency. From tacos to chicken sandwiches. It's all friggin dog food.
                        80 XS1100SG
                        81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

I went to 2 different dealerships (Kaw/Suk and a Yam/Hon) and neither had it. At the first shop Kaw/Suk dealer, the guy said that the Honda brand stuff WAS Valvoline MC oil. So, at the second place I picked up some of that. We'll see if it was the Moble1 or if I need a new clutch.
                          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

.. i buy the Valvoline mc oil from Advanced Discount Auto parts stores and Auto Zone stores. there might be other auto stores that sell it, i just haven't looked, but not motorcycle shops, they only sell the expensive stuff

Comment

From Ken
                              The trouble usually comes from using any oil with friction modifiers in it. That's what makes the oil just too slippery for the wet clutch in an XS.

Well I just changed to Valvoline yesterday.

last 4K miles on other oil and never had a problem until read about "clutch slipping oil". Then week later wto in third and rpm goes up and speedo doesn't

So going to try the Valvoline. Hope didn't fubar clutch
                              Now need sunny cal to be sunny agin so I can test out new oil and maybe a little video too.

mro

Comment

Working...
                              X