Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not a yama- but something to see anyway! Chopper project!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a yama- but something to see anyway! Chopper project!

Truly a "junk yard/e-bay dog" bike- got the frame off e-bay, well, damn near everything off e-bay- all the motor and stuff from a KZ 1000 (1977) donor bike that was given too me.

total cost of build will be under 1000 bucks it appears- with the exception of tires- will add about 300 bucks or so to the price.

Okay- we started putting the pieces together to kind of mockup close to what the trail would be etc- what you are looking at is a 75 Z1 900 B frame, ZX6 forks, ZX10 rims front and back, with a 170 tire in the rear. Looks like a 8 inch over on the forks, with the ZX10 hieght tires, around 4-6 inches of trail, we will get it closer as we get it mocked up better.
    This is what we call the "staged car craft mag shot"

Okay- it is my buddy Travis ( I think he is registered here as "chopaholic") in the sell out choppers hat LOL- don't hate him, it is Alaska, gotta keep something on his head to keep warm!

Here is my buddy stacey making sure we had the tire hieght right LOL

Here the fellas are doing some more looking apparently- but it is a good shot of how wide a 170 tire looks like on this thing!

Here it is with the shadow tank on it, the old corbin chopper seat (which looks like ass now that the bike is more mocked up- something else will be occupying that area it looks like!

Another fat tire shot- some slight clearance issues with the swing arm, just barely touching up front- and I think the sprockets will line up pretty good.

Last one of the shadow tank and such- the ducktail will stay, and no side covers- the old tank style to hide the electrics. the 5 inch of gooseneck and 36 degrees of rake (about 8* more than stock) - gives the whole front the chopper look- combined with the drag racing cues and wheelbase- the new wheel base will be 71"- almost 10 inches longer than stock.

nice job!

Seeing other people work on projects like this makes me wish that I could weld better. ... be nice if I could paint better, too!
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Get a welder- make some tools- and you will be golden LOL

The XS will be coming in next week I think- I will be building the bike stand for it in a couple days.
      Last edited by CruisingRam; 12-08-2005, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Used an arc welder 25 years ago when I was racing cars. All I have now is an oxy/acetolene setup who's main function seems to be lighting cigarettes. Other than building a stand for my bench grinder and a trailer hitch for my truck, the six week refresher course I took five years ago has left my memory completely!
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Now see, thats my kind of project bike ... oh if only money weren't an object, I'd build me one hellova bike shop out back!!!
          ~ Street Rat ~

Mitch
          '78 XS1100 "My Mistress"

Knowledge is Experience. Everything else is just Information

Comment

Money? That is the theme of my shop "Low cost customs" - I hope to have less than 1500 in parts, including everything, and the same in labor by the time it is done- I think it might sell up here as high as 4500.

It is looking like the XS- the next thing you will see on a stand in pics in my shop- will be as cheap. I got a mopar 71/4 rear end out of a duster- it has 2.96 gears in it! All the ricer rearends I looked at had real steep gears for the trike set up I want. Got the rear end for free- it is in 100% perfect condition, and is 54" wide brake backing plate to brake backing plate. I have a kick ass set of retro aluminum cragar slotted mags, to go with the XS's stock front mag. I ordered a summit catalogue item- it is of the competition engineering brand- a ladder bar suspension kit for a car. I will use a ladder bar, the mounts to mount it to the axel, use the stock XS 1100 shocks, and make the swing arm bolt area into a cross member to locate both the ladder bar forward ends and the panhard bar. It will look so slick I will not even have to cover it I think- I think I will mold in a duke and duchess seat and leave the XS nekid!

You guys are going to love this project once it gets rolling!

Comment

Working...
            X