Mac computer question need a guru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac computer question need a guru

Neighbor just acquired an old Power Mac G3 with no CD's. A local school is upgrading and dumping their old stuff, so I am assuming some features were originally and intentionally turned off. They are not well off so I am trying to help. OS 9.2 I think.

He tried to install dial-up software from a company, that does not work. Email keeps erroring out with "Text Encoder" something error, he followed the ISP directions but that that didn't work. He gets memory errors 1 and 2. Two different help line folks could not help.

There is an ink jet printer connected, but there is a selection to activate a laser jet which is not what the printer is, and since he cannot get on the internet he cannot download the correct printer drivers.

I know a fair amount about PC's, but I cannot fathom what to do about any of this. Nothing makes sense to me about Extensions or hard drive enables or anything Apple. He managed to screw something up so bad it would not boot, I did some research and found holding the Power CTRL P R keys (something like that) resets everything to factory, which does what? It booted anyway, but still he has these issues.

So, with no Cd's, no manual, and no experience with computers of any type, should he just sell it and buy something newer with operating system CD's and manuals? Should I get OS X for him (found a place for $56, is it worth it to do this?) and install it over the OS 9? Will that work?

Suggestions?
    Marty in NW PA
    Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
    Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
    This IS my happy face.

Depending on the CPU speed and configuration, they are available pretty cheaply as a whole unit. They are selling on Ebay (300Mhz) for as low as $35. With OSX installed!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5834818421

Upgrading to OSX might cure it, but a lot depends on if will import all the system restrictions set by the school. I would think you'd be better off wiping it completely (if you can) prior to the OSX upgrade.

If they have a useable monitor they could get a regular PC for under 100 bucks on Ebay. In a better speed class, even. They'd have access to FAR more support, resources, programs, etc., too. Everything associated with the Mac is more expensive in general, over the long run. I can't say I'm a big fan of them. Maybe they could get enough for it from Ebay to offset getting a x86-type. If you're going to be doing the "tech support", it might benefit you, as well

I never understood why schools taught on Mac's exclusively for so many years when the schools themselves constituted 75% of the user base for Macs. Would be like teaching future mechanics the Wankel engine only. I'm sure someone got paid to make it so.....
    80 XS1100SG
    81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

quote:
      JWSanders
      __________________________________________________ _
      I never understood why schools taught on Mac's exclusively for so many years when the schools themselves constituted 75% of the user base for Macs.
      __________________________________________________ _

Apple donated and discounted the crap out of there systems to the schools. Also (at least here) you can always expect the worst possible decisions from our schools.

bth: check bios, com ports may not be enabled.
      print river can be down loaded to your PC for the mac and copied to floppy. On the web you can find free mem checkers. Also open case, if more than one SIMM, swap them around. When x86 systems have a bad spot in the mem module in the first 16K they experience all kinds of problems, may be same w/mac's

mro

Comment

Thanks JW, I already mentioned that, at least the seed is planted. And yes the monitor is good, that's a good idea.

mro, do NOT get me started on the American Education system. You are so right about that. BUT, if I knew how to check the bios, com ports etc I would. I think after he messed up the memory and it would not boot I reset the bios with a key combination, if I understood the MACspeak language. Understand this was working fine in whatever capacity they were using them when the school gave the up. They are very clean, not even any dust or crumbs in the keyboard.

Thanks guys!
        Marty in NW PA
        Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
        Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
        This IS my happy face.

Comment

Tell him to try to reboot with by pressing and holding the shift key once the little computer is in the monitor screen. Hold the keys down till it says startin with extentions off.

The only isps that are mac freindly are aol and earthlink.
          Their are others that you con use but they reguire you get isp address info from the site on the intrnet and enter it manually.

Let me know if that gets him started. He will probably need to whipe the hard drive and reinstall the system. I have OS 9 and OSX and can get you copies.
          It's an 80 LG My Midnight Ride
          81 XJ650 MAXIM The Preachers Bike (Gone but not forgotten)
          82 KZ 305 CSR Training Wheels (now my daughters)
          82 GS 850 GL SWMBO's (HER RIDE)

'He who wanders is not always lost."

Comment

On a mac with OS9 there is no "bios" per say. All of those functions are controled by "control panels" or "extentions" kept in the extention or control panel folders in the system folder.

Control panels are similar to windows. Extentions would be like plug-ins or drivers.

Both can be turned on or off in the extention manger.

You can get to the manager when you start up by holding down the shift key when the small computer logo comes up in the middle of the screen.
            It's an 80 LG My Midnight Ride
            81 XJ650 MAXIM The Preachers Bike (Gone but not forgotten)
            82 KZ 305 CSR Training Wheels (now my daughters)
            82 GS 850 GL SWMBO's (HER RIDE)

'He who wanders is not always lost."

Comment

Is the PowerMac G3 a Blue and white or is it beige? I have a Blue and White (cirica 1999) with 9.2. There are a few differences between the models in terms of type of memory and a few other mechanical details.

Apple has a built-in program called Remote Eccess that handles dial up connections. To set up a cnnection go to the Apple (Upper left of screen) and go to Control Panels, then Modem. Select the modem you have from the drop-down list. Next go to Control Panel, then Remote Access. Here is where you will enter the user name, password, and phone number to be dialed.

Finally, go the Apple, Control Panels, TCP/IP. here is where you enter the domain name server addresses, search domain, and connection type. Use PPP under Connection Type and use PPP Server in the Configure section unless the ISP gives you other directions. (This is basically the same as setting a Windows box to use DHCP.)

If you don't see the items listed above, check on what extensions and control panels are enabled; do this by going under the Apple, Control Panels, Extension Manager. Couple options here. Turn on everything that is listed under Package as Remote Access and anything else that has modem in the description. Also turn on all Open Transport files. You can check the Sets at the top of the window and turn on Mac OS 9.2 All. This will get you stuff you won't use, but you the Mac will run OK and you can turn off individual items later.

If Extension Manager does not show up under the Apple, and many schools do hide it, drop me a private message and I'll go through the steps to re-publish it.

Good luck!
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.
              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
              X