Bike for wife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike for wife

Back in '80-'81 I sold my brother my RD400 cheap as I was heading to Bangor to finish my degree, and he traded it for a Yamaha 650 4.

This thanksgiving I asked him if he still had it and would he ever use it again. My wife Lori wants to learn to ride, and we have been looking around for someting suitable. Turns out he wants some more room in his garage and he said we could come and haul it away.

Turns out to be an XJ 650. not sure if it's an 81 or 82. Will need tires battery and carb cleaned. Carbs currently in pieces. Lori is excited about her first bike. Will probably go down and pick it up in February, should be ready for April.

Steve
    80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
    73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
    62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
    Norton Electra - future restore
    CZ 400 MX'er
    68 Ducati Scrambler
    RC Planes and Helis

an XSellent bike. there are a few here and they are well liked I. was going to get one for SWMBO but other things took priority.
    She will enjoy it, a comfortable bike , there is about a 1000 rpm difference between the XS11 and the XJ 650 at the same speed, so have fun
    Jim
    Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
    Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
    and SOXS
    2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

The XJ650 is a nice bike, that's what SWMBO rode the year we did our first big road trip to Wyoming and Sturgis
      Ken Talbot

Comment

That was my first bike. Good learner, but definately not as smooth as the eleven
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I figure a couple of summers and she'll be wanting an XS, probably have to get one to keep her away form mine.

Steve
          80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
          73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
          62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
          Norton Electra - future restore
          CZ 400 MX'er
          68 Ducati Scrambler
          RC Planes and Helis

Comment

I just bought a 1984 1100 maxim for the wife. Turns out she really does not like it much. Too high and top heavy. She suggested I keep it for myself and sell my 81 midnight special. Love that woman!! The maxim only has 17k KMS, been parked since 1989. The guy I bought it from had a shop go through it end to end and then decided it wasn't the bike for him.

Now my dilema. I still want to buy the wife a new ride. She is currently riding a Honda 500 silverwing and she is really stuck on a Virago 1000 or 1100. Any thought on her choice keeping in mind she wants a bike 900cc or larger. Opinions, PLEASE. I don't know much about the V twins.

Darrell

Comment

Bike for wife

Check out the newer Yammy V stars. They have it in 650 and 1100. About the same weight as the XS. They're built with a nice low center of gravity. The seat is only 28" from the ground
              making it very easy to ride. Brand new still under $9000. They are
              a real sweet ride.
              Just thought I'd try to help. Now I'm ramblin'

woodbutcher

Comment

well there are alto of options for a ladys bike it just depends what she wants if she want a crusier or a standard or a sports bike

if it was me i would say for a crusier the virago is a good bike but if you dont want a v twin you could go with a honda magna i know it aint 900 cc or larger but the 750 has alot of power
                79 yamaha xs1100f standard
                best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

I had a '82 xj650rj. Or in other words a 650seca. I had over 80 k miles on it with little or no problems. Should be the same engine.
                  78E ... Gone but not forgotten
                  2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

XJ650

Here's a pic of a Seca 650.

I owned an XJ750RH ('81 Seca 750) which I bought used with 10,000 mile on the clock and have nothing but praise for it, except for the stock rear shocks which were brutal. I had 85,000 miles showing when some idiot cager ran into me and totalled the bike. At that time I was still running the original clutch, never had to add oil between changes and had only replaced (other than the usual tires, brake pads, fluids & filters, batteries and plugs) 1 clutch cable and 1 turn signal bulb. Other than that, zip. The whole XJ series are known as bulletproof bikes and will eat miles like they're going out of style. One advantage of the 650 Seca (standard) over the 650 Maxim (cruiser) is twin front disc brakes, they are otherwise similar except for riding ergos and styling.
                    Shiny side up,
                    650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                    XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

looks exactly like mine when i bought. Only paint scheme avaible. My brother in law painted it a deep green color with gold metal flake. looked great. Was a bullet proof bike. It's downfall was when Honda came out with the 650 Nighthawk, the Honda was a little bit faster and flashier looking. But the Seca was a better road bike. Almost 6 gallon tank, big quartz haolgen headlight, and a much better riding position. I had several 700 to 800 mile days, and one that was a shade over a thousand. Young and dumb.
                      78E ... Gone but not forgotten
                      2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

What a misleading topic title. I thawt you can exchange your wife for a bike. WHERE?!

LP
                        If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                        (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

My wife rides an '82 Seca and absolutely loves it. Will not even discuss getting a newer bike. It has about 37k on it and runs and looks like new.
                          1978 XS1100E
                          1982 XJ650RJ Seca
                          2001 Yamaha XT225
                          2002 Suzuki DR650
                          2008 Suzuki DL650 VStrom
                          AMA charter life member

Comment

Working...
                          X