polishing preservation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• polishing preservation

So, no longer having access to a bench grinder w/ a buffing wheel, I just got done pooring elbow grease all over my grab bar. I use mine constantly to get the bike out of the garage every morning and live on the coast. What is the best way to protect it against hand acid/ humidity oxidation?

I could have gotten it better, but you have to draw the line somewhere...
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Nice work

How about some clear coat? It is sold in spray cans, or just keep a good coat of wax on it.

Comment

protect

once you get it buffed to perfection drop it off at your local powder coater and let them clear powder coat it. then you will never have to worry again.

Comment

I'm slowly getting the Battle Cruiser's Fork Tubes to gleam. Lots of Maguiars and elbow grease. I am cheating on the tight spots with my Dremmel. After I'm done, it's the clear coat route for me.
        Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
        78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
        02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

clear coat

i might worry about spray enamel clear coat. how well is it going to stick to the bare aluminum. i would also worry about ruining the clear coat if any brake fluid got on it while servicing the front calipers.

Comment

Sounds fatalistic, but if and when that happens, I'll strip em down, polish em again and just have that much more cleaning to do. They look good so far and I think it's worth the trouble.
            Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
            78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
            02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

As our bikes age the clear coat yellows and looks bad. Here is a trick that I found works well. I use a spray on paint remover, eats that stuff off quick. After rinsing it off, get after the parts with Simichrome and Eagle one "wad" polish. Soon they look like they were chromed. Not hard to keep up polished, but then I dont live near the coast. Besides, polishing, cleaning and waxing my 11 is not considered work.
              When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Working...
              X