Bike Prangs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Prangs

was sitting here looking at old xrays and was just wondering, those of you that have had serious bike accidents, and the injurys suffered.

my first bike accident occured when i was 12 riding my mini bike around the back yard after it had been raining, the bike had slipped from under neath me, the bike had an old lawnmower type motor which started with a rope around the magneto, which spun freely when running with no guard to protect. This had landed on my right inside foot near my big toe, tearing the skin. I had something like 20 stitches on the outside and about 10 stitches on the inside. Was off school for about 2 half months.
    Touch wood, ive only had minor accidents on road bikes over the years.
    My last acco was in 98 when i was doing wheelies on a trail bike on a bitumen carpark, We!d been riding all day and was pretty buggered, when the bike flipped the whole weight of the bike, the left foot peg landed on my left foot, crushing it, I broke 4 bones in 6 places, my foot was like a baloon, it then became infected (gang green) where i had to have all the dead skin removed, I was of work 4, 3 months as a result.

pete
    pete

new owner of
    08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
    1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
    zrx carbs
    18mm float height
    145 main jets
    38 pilots
    slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
    fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

I have had 2.

First when I was 18, I crested a hill to find a car backing up in my lane. No shoulders on road, nowhere to go. Hit both brakes hard and slid under car. My leg wrapped around and was trapped up against car muffler, 3rd degree burns....ask to see my scar! Broken scapula, broken pinky finger.

Last one was 2 years ago in NC. Road not made properly in my opinion..but it was my lack of attention. Went off road dumped bike in gravel and bike decided to flip over on me and bruised a rack of ribs. Lots of soft tissue damage in shoulder.

Been hoping this list does not get any longer
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

I have yet to have an accident where I fall off the bike (dirt dosen't count). I've been hit 3 times but never been down (yet).
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Down a bunch of times in my mis-spent youth, fancied myself a "scratcher". Never hit anything so escaped with only painful, not serious injuries...road rash and the like. Like Pat says, dirt doesn't count.

Most serious was on a rainy New Year's day on a straightaway approaching left hand curve. Around curve comes AMC Pacer filled with people, out of shape, slides sideways toward me in my lane. No where to escape, hit the binders, my Dunlop Sport Elites maintained grip and I came to a stop. Pacer slides sideways into me totalling my XJ750 Seca. I am still standing holding the bike up. I step off and let the bike drop. Slight bruises where handlebars hit my hips. Cops happen by moments later. Ask if I need an ambulance. I told them I needed a tow truck. Cop looks at my smashed bike, then at me and asks again, "Are you sure you don't need an ambulance?" Other driver cited for driving too fast for conditions, driving on the wrong side of the roadway, no insurance and no license. I sue the guy in small claims court and win but since he has no assets I can't collect.
        Shiny side up,
        650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
        XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Here is my most recent/ serious mishap.

http://www.photodump.com/viewer/John80SG/BackSpine.html
          http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...light=accident

Comment

Ouch! Glad you're better now.
            Shiny side up,
            650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
            XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Thanks Mike. It looks like I'll finally be able to return to work next week. I've been out for five and a half months. I am so ready to go back, but I have had the time to rebuild Twilite Special, help SWMBO with her bike, when she asked for it, and I am currently reserrecting a 79 Special for a friend, so I have been keeping busy, and haven't turned into a 'Sofa Spud'.

Comment

Working...
              X