No announcement yet.

nor cal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunset absolutely brilliant, white stuff looks too cold.

Comment

What do they know?! California has more people than Canada, eh?! Everything from deserts to glaciers, skyscrapers to beaches. It costs a lot because it's worth it. I have read recently, however, that only 19% of Californians can afford a median priced home. I'm waiting for my Lotto winnings to arrive so I can buy my Malibu beachfront property and open my Home for Wayward Women and Nude Beach...
      "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Yep, if you don't like the climate or scenery in one place you can just go a few miles and find something more suitable.

It used to be more affordable but people just keep coming here. There are even communities that greet you with a sign that reads, "Welcome to California, now go home!"

When I lived in San Francisco it seemed like every other person was from NYC...1/3 of my friends were from there. It's actually difficult to find a native Californian most places, let alone someone whose family has been here for generations. Why is it that most Californians now have a "midwestern" accent? My high school history teacher was from an old pioneer family in Merced. She had a western drawl right out of the movies. A guy I know from an old Sonoma County ranching family talks like that too. I suppose you can still find people with that accent down in the San Joachin where LoHo lives but they are getting damned rare.

Malibu Beach doesn't have much glamor for me, I grew up in So Cal and went there all the time before it became "exclusive". The rich can have it now that they've ruined it.
        Shiny side up,
        650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
        XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Yeah, boy, I'll tell ya, we got us quite a few old boys who come out here in the 30s, like my folks, for instance, who still drawl and use phrases not native to this area. My pa said that when the Okies came to California in the thirties, it raised the average IQ in both states.

Mike, I was contemplating a Clear Lake Rally, although it is too far for me to organize.

I plan to do a Yosemite rally at the KOA near there this spring, and of course I'll get the word out after I figure it out. Meet there Friday night, ride the Gold Country (Hwy 49) and through the Yosemite Valley, then camp again, and then figure out where to go on Sunday as camp breaks up. Perhaps a coast trip, or over to Bodie, the ghost town. I'm leaning toward April 7-8-9.

While there is a legion of XSives in California, it's like pulling teeth to get anything going. KOAs make it easier to organize, and it isn't a real rally without a campfire and BS stories.

Comment

Yep, plenty of those dustbowl refugees still left up here. Read the obituaries in the local paper and every other person was from Oklahoma. But I was talking about the old-time western drawl which probably stems from the fact that most of the old California pioneers (after the Spanish) were from the southern states. When the Civil War started California sided with the North even though a majority of citizens were from the South. I suppose they had all become too prosperous to want to go to war and the secessionist movement died a quick death. Few Californians fought on either side but they did send a lot of treasure back to Washington. A case could be made that the British financed the South and California financed the North.

I'd be willing to organize a Lake County Rally if it can be organized. I tried to get a Yamaha 650 Society rally going last year but only a couple of people expressed any interest even though the eastern membership and especially the southern membership are avid rallyists. The California XS11 crowd seems more up for this sort of thing, the Reno rally came off pretty well. Anybody up?
            Shiny side up,
            650 Mike

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Mike;
              Count me in. I do live with a view of the Monterey bay, but no body is perfect. I have been traveling for work, and have run out of time for work on my bike, but winter is almost here. Then maybe I can get the project going.
              Ray
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Lake County Rally

Would like a get together.
                Seeing pics of the other XS's has been giving me "XSenvy"
                Would have to stop riden it long enough to at least wash it.

mro

Comment

I don't wash my bike very often, the older I get the lazier I am. In the winter I really neglect the washing thing, it's just going to get splattered with road mud anyway cause of the rain. I guess I should clean my windshield though, it's nearly solid bugs.
                  Shiny side up,
                  650 Mike

Comment

Better road mud than dust...

Comment

650 Mike

Just looking at my map program.

From my house to Lower Lake, 118.1 miles.
                      That's going up on 29.
                      Nice enough ride after getting out the bay area. Never been one to ride a freeway when theres another way.

Silverado trail is a little better than 29 when traffic isn't too bad but stops at Calistoga.

Just day dreaming about a ride up your way.

mro

Comment

I must admit, I'm one of those that thought that Cali is full of nutballs. While I've seen enough to have to rescind that, I've also seen a lot of nutballs in just one short week

Damn there's a lot of people here.

But a lot of beauty, too. And I've just seen a small part of it. I could probably learn to like it here, as long as I stayed away from the major cities. The people I've met so far have been very likeable, and friendly. There's such a feeling of laid-backness that pervades everything. Hard not to appreciate that.

I'll still be glad to get back to TN though. Even if it's only half the temp right now. My dogs and my guns are missing me
                        80 XS1100SG
                        81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Originally posted by mro
                          650 Mike

Just looking at my map program.

From my house to Lower Lake, 118.1 miles.
                          That's going up on 29.
                          Nice enough ride after getting out the bay area. Never been one to ride a freeway when theres another way.

Silverado trail is a little better than 29 when traffic isn't too bad but stops at Calistoga.

Just day dreaming about a ride up your way.

mro
                          Quickest way is to take 29 till the stoplight in Yountville which is where 29 becomes 2-lane, turn right and take the Yountville Cross Rd. over to the Silverado Trail then up to where it picks up 29 again in Calistoga. Nice thing about Silverado is that there's places to pass and it bypasses the towns that're on 29. I'm about 2 miles off 29 between Lower Lake and Kelseyville. Or you can come over 175 from Middletown just to get some more mountain miles in...takes the same amount of time. It's a great ride any way you come though.
                          Shiny side up,
                          650 Mike

Comment

Originally posted by JWSanders
                            I must admit, I'm one of those that thought that Cali is full of nutballs. While I've seen enough to have to rescind that, I've also seen a lot of nutballs in just one short week.
                            Then I'm sure you must've met that nutball they call "The Friendly Stranger" 'cause he's really friendly and he's really strange.
                            Shiny side up,
                            650 Mike

Comment

I feel the same way about the cities. They can keep'em. I can't stand being around a lot of people. I am proud hillbilly. I like my hunting, fishing, 4wheel'n', snowboarding, hiking, and the everythings-better-with-a-cold-beer mentality
                              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Damn there's a lot of people here.

JWsanders

A lot of people born here in the Bay Area have moved (past 20/30 years) because too many people.

Now there are cities in the valley that used to be small towns, and the ones that went a little further (foot hills or Clear Lake like areas) are getting traffic jams too.

My mountain place is about as far from it all as I can go with out becoming a hermit.

BUT!!!!

if you think there are a lot of people here, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Want a real shocker what man can do?
                                Drive down hy5

When you come down the south side of the grape vine it begins.
                                150+ miles of concrete both sides of the freeway (Santa Clarita to past San Diego) Almost solid houses and buildings.
                                And it gust gets bigger every day.

Once upon a time there was actually a little space between one city and the next, now if you miss the sign on the side of the road you can't tell what city your in.

One big thing about living here is that one really appreciates the time spent out in the (disappearing) boony’s. And every once in a while one of my rides in the local hills there won't be anybody else on the road

mro

Comment

Working...
                                X