Has anyone tried this??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone tried this??

I found this while cruizing different motorcycle stuff.
    http://www.barsnake.com/

Has anyone tried it or heard anything about it. My handlebar vibration really comes through with the bar end mirrors and lowers their visibility.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

You can accomplish the same thing by using lead shot or even cut up wheel weights. The idea is to weight the end of the bars and it doesn't matter what you use. And, you are not eliminating the vibration, but by weighting the bar ends you are moving it to a different frequency, which usually puts it at a different speed. One method I've heard of being used is to fill the bars up with caulking, and then put the weights in the last 6-8" and then seal the ends up with caulking. The idea here is to fill up any space the the weights might have to rattle in.
    Brian
    1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
    1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
    remembering the same thing!

Comment

Several Guys on the Bandit list use the bar snake or liquid bar snake with good results. Also heavy bar end weights will work, or as xssiveone said lead shot is great as well. If you don't have lead shot then steel BB's will also work, just not as well. I had my Bandit bars filled with BB's for two years.
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Some models of the XS650 came with weighted bars. My XS400SJ Heritage came stock with bar weights. They also help damp front end occilations as well as vibration. I personally find the XS11 pretty damn smooth but maybe that's because I'm used to the heavy vibration of the XS650. The 650s have rubber mounted bars and pegs but the vibes are still really strong.
        Shiny side up,
        650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
        XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

After many years of scientific study, I have invented a revolutionary handlebar product that will completely change motorcyling as we know it. It's called - "THE BAR BOLT"

Comment

The problem w/ the bar end weights is that I have the bar end mirrors. So, I can't have both and I like the mirrors.
            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

hey PGGG

your more resourceful than we realize
              1982 XJ 1100
              going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
              now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

The Bar Bolt

Just the thing for cheapskates like me!
                Shiny side up,
                650 Mike

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Hey pggg, does it come in stainless steel??
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Never owned a bike that vibrated enough to aggravate. Can't help.
                    Marty in NW PA
                    Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                    Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                    This IS my happy face.

Comment

Hey pggg, figure out how to machine in some skulls and get them chromed and you can make a mint off of the Harleydudes...
                      "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Originally posted by LoHo
                        Hey pggg, figure out how to machine in some skulls and get them chromed and you can make a mint off of the Harleydudes...
                        or Maltese crosses or Confederate flags!
                        Shiny side up,
                        650 Mike

Comment

"THE BAR BOLT"

Hey do they come in rust???
                          Like em to match my handle bars

mro
                          80G
                          slightly bent here en there
                          (me and the bike)

Comment

I call it the Fredsweigh

A barsnake works by damping vibration. End weights work by adding mass to change the vibration frequency.
                            My Fredsweigh combines both systems.
                            If you reload trap shells you already have part of the stuff to hand, otherwise you gotta scrounge.
                            Shove a 12Ga plastic wad (they fit perfectly) into the bar as far round the first bend as it will go.
                            Mix up a slurry of #7½ lead shot and Devcon 2-part cold-setting rubber (or group buy the liquid Barsnake, that'd do a fair few bars using this method). Pour the slurry into the bar and hang it up to set. If you are into bar-end mirrors leave space for them.
                            Once it's set flip the bar over and do the other side.
                            Worked great on the Honda 750 bars I put on my XS650.
                            Before the treatment they went donnnngg when you rapped 'em; afterwards they just went thud.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Fredsweigh2

It occurred to me that my original Fredsweigh could be improved.
                              I limited my lead shot/Devcon slug to the bar ends mainly because I was limited to how much Devcon I could scrounge off the lab techs.
                              If I were to make a Mk2 I would use liquid barsnake instead of Devcon because now I'm retired I have no techs to scrounge from.
                              As before, I would stop off one end of the bar with a shotshell wad and pour the end full of shot/barsnake slurry. Then flip the bar to pour the centre full of straight barsnake, leaving space to pour the bar end full of more slurry.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X