Info on Throttle cable/Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on Throttle cable/Battery

Hey- Quick note. My 1979F was revving when turning to the right. Turns out, throttle cable was adjusted to tightly at the handgrip adjustment. I loosened it most of the way at that section, and adjusted it with the 'wheel' at the carbs. Problem solved. Same day: was starting the bike, and all went dead, even the panel cluster of lights. It intermittently would come on, then dim. Got the electrics acting normally when ignition was on, hit starter button, and everything went off totally. Battery metered at 12.34 volts, and 11.78v. when ignition was turned on. Turns out, battery was compromised and shot. Ordered a new one immediately. This info is put out there to help anyone who might have same issues. Love this forum. Safe riding, all!
    79 F
    Previously owned: (among others)
    1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
    1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
    1973 Suzuki TM 125
    1979 XS1100 F
    2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
    1991 BMW K75

My friend and I rode our Harleys from CT to Maryland about 20 years ago. We checked in at the campground and when we went to the bikes, his was totally dead. It had been running about 5 minutes ago and now was dead. The battery shorted internally. I rode to Sears (remember them?) and brought him back a new battery and he was fine for years to come. It does happen sometimes.

A battery can show voltage but have no ampereage.

Comment

True Deebs, sometimes you can 'baby' a battery, and it still doesn't last over 3 years. Oh well, I'll be on the road soon.
      79 F
      Previously owned: (among others)
      1969 Harley- Davidson Rapido 125 (Aermacchi)
      1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler
      1973 Suzuki TM 125
      1979 XS1100 F
      2005 Kaw. Vulcan VN800
      1991 BMW K75

Comment

Working...
      X