1980 xs1100sg Front Master

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 xs1100sg Front Master

Hello all, I’ve been poking around looking for a replacement front master but can’t really seem to find much info on it. (My searching skills maybe needs a brush up). Can someone advise the correct bore size for the 80sg for replacement? I believe it’s 17mm but just wanted to check before I order something. One I had seems to have grown legs and walked away. Either that or the 10mm sockets kidnapped it 🙂.

also, any suggestions on a good replacement would be appreciated.

You need 16MM for dual disk brakes. These work great and are economical. I have run these master cylinders over 50,000 miles on a few different bikes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295232081050

Click image for larger version

Name:	ezgif-3-1fe0ad92b9.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	880768

Comment

However, if you want the finest quality and have the money, Brembo is the best you can buy. I am now currently running one of these on my XS11/sidecar unit. Both the economy and Brembo master cylinders perform the same. The Brembo fit and finish is better quality.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/382997353337

Name:	ezgif-3-7686cd0298.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	880770

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
        You need 16MM for dual disk brakes. These work great and are economical. I have run these master cylinders over 50,000 miles on a few different bikes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295232081050

Name:	ezgif-3-1fe0ad92b9.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	880768
        I'm with Deebs, for less than the price of a rebuild kit you can get one of these and be done with it.
        1980 XS1100G

I identify as a man but according to the label on a package of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four!

Comment

LAB3 - They are so low priced that I always keep a few on the shelf for the future. Most restorations need them.

Comment

I've used them on my last three bikes and they've never failed, this despite the warnings of those who will tell you you'll die if you don't use the latest, greatest thing out there.
            1980 XS1100G

I identify as a man but according to the label on a package of Stauffers Baked Lasagne I'm actually a family of four!

Comment

The thing i don't like about some of those units is there is no lever adjustment screw to adjust the travel and dial in the "feel".
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                The thing i don't like about some of those units is there is no lever adjustment screw to adjust the travel and dial in the "feel".
                I do agree in this. It would be nice to have a more modern one. I am going to be changing the bars anyway so I might as well update the master. I assume any of the newer ones will work as long as they are for a dual set up and 16mm?

Comment

Yes, for a Special, any 16MM will work just fine. Single or dual caliper doesn't matter. You will need to use SS braided lines though.

I tried one once that didn't have the adjustment screw on the lever and even after properly bled, the lever would bottom out on the grip. Went to the adjustable type and no problems, worked like new. YMMV

Note: Standards work best with a 14MM unit, they have a different caliper piston size than the Special requiring the smaller bore MC for best lever feel.

http://www.vintagebrake.com/mastercylinder.htm
                  Last edited by bikerphil; 07-19-2024, 04:16 PM.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                    Like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166858045860

Name:	ezgif-5-1a51b3b982.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	880829

Comment

This was a spam posting. It is now a warning to other spammers.
                      Last edited by DiverRay; 07-20-2024, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
                        No, this adjustment.... And the levers are not interchangeable.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20240720_085757~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	212.4 KB ID:	880835
                        Last edited by bikerphil; 07-20-2024, 07:17 AM.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

Comment

Understood. However, both types of adjustments are for grip to lever distance. The Brembo unit is bulky looking in comparison.

Name:	image_6152.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	880838 Click image for larger version

Name:	Brembo adjustment.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	880839

Comment

...and the Brembo has only 4 adjustment settings.

Comment

Yep, and those cheaper China units for some reason did away with the adjustment screw at the piston, so there is no adjustment whatsoever.
                              2H7 (79)
                              3H3

Comment

Working...
                              X