Sunny day ride in the neighborhood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunny day ride in the neighborhood

Those who read of my Rainy Day Ride in the Season's End thread might be interested in what it's like around here when it's nice. It was nice today, sunny, about 68F temp...ideal for a ten mile out and back. I headed north on Soda Bay Road (aka State 281) until stopping for a couple of pics on the north side of Mt. Konocti. These pics were taken in the hollowed out scar on the face of Konocti that was formed when the mountain exploded 13,000 years ago. Because this place is on the lee side from the prevailing winds it gets way more precipitation than the rest of this area and so there is a miniature rain forest there called the Black Forest. In 100F degree summer heat when you ride through here the temperature drops dramatically and it's a bit surprising to see the moss covered rocks and tree trunks.

The two large moss-covered boulders just to the left of the tree are volcanic bombs which came from one of Konocti's long ago eruptions. Though large they are nothing compared to the many car-size ones that litter the area for miles around. Though it was sunny today the pavement here is still wet. Everywhere else I went today the pavement was dry. On the right of this road lies Buckingham Park, an upscale neighborhood; on the left is the Black Forest and Mt. Konocti.

Here's a pic showing the vast expanse of Clear Lake taken high on the northwest slope of Konocti in a neighborhood called Riviera Heights.

And another shot of Clear Lake which is the second largest natural freshwater lake in California (Tahoe is the largest). It is the oldest lake in North America.

And another from the same spot showing Soda Bay.

You wouldn't believe how just how steep this downhill hairpin is! I had to shoot from astride the bike with a foot hard on the rear brake, absolutely no place to pull over and park.

I took this shot in the tiny resort community of Soda Bay showing the Konocti Blues Cafe which along with the Lakeside Inn English Pub makes two places featuring good food, drink and live music in this tiny burg.

On the return trip I paused to take a shot looking back toward Soda Bay which gets its name from a hot spring on a tiny island in the middle of the bay called Giant Soda Spring.

One block off of Soda Bay Road I took this pic of the Buckingham Country Club golf course, the clubhouse can be seen on the other side of Little Borax Lake...a good spot to eat. Beyond that you can see a little bit of Clear Lake peeking through the trees.

Leaving Buckingham I continue toward home and then turn right to climb high up Konocti in the Riviera West development and shoot back down at Little Borax Lake and the surrounding golf course which is home to the annual Celebrity Quarterback Golf Shootout.

In the background is Buckingham Penninsula which is formed from the material ejected from the ancient explosion of Konocti, now some of the priciest real estate in the county.

The folks who live in Riviera West enjoy panoramic views.

Ol' Rusty can be see parked in the shadows in the cul-de-sac. There's a prime homesite to the right of the house waiting for some lucky family to build.

Another view...

The last three photos were taken from the exact same spot.

Here are the fountains at the entrance to Konocti Harbor Resort And Spa, a world class resort featuring world class entertainment. It's the venue for the annual "Takin' It To The Streets" motorcycle rally around Clear Lake with an outdoor concert following. This year the headliners were the Doobie Brothers, Steppenwolf and Foghat. This event and the Quarterback Golf Shootout are the two biggest events here each year. Clear Lake is also home to several bass fishing tournaments every year as well as the Catfish Derby.

Here's a shot showing a peekaboo of the amphitheater stage taken from Konocti Harbor Resort's Lot F where motorcycles are directed to park for concert events. Cheapskates like me can see and hear the concerts from here for free!

Any NorCal (or anywhere else) XSives get in touch with me if you want to come up and ride the many scenic byways of Lake County!
    Shiny side up,
    650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
    XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

dude, that makes me so jealous, that would be an incredible place to ride. Thanks for the pictures.
    Bauer
    1980 XS 1100 SG (The 3rd Degree) - The Cafe' Racer
    Image Photos @ http://photobucket.com/albums/f230/BauersXS11/
    1980 XS1100 G (The Trouble Maker)
    Fully stock and still goin at 65k miles

Comment

I can't wait to hook up next time I go down there. The last time I was in Cobb was too brief to bother. But, hopefully next time I will have more time.
      JEss
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by 81xsproject
        I can't wait to hook up next time I go down there. The last time I was in Cobb was too brief to bother. But, hopefully next time I will have more time.
        JEss
        Next time you get up this way Jessie ping me a PM and we'll hook up for some riding.

The photos don't really convey how high above the lake these houses are...this street is really steeper'n 'ell.

The pic was taken from a point on the slope of Konocti directly above the bike's sissy bar in this pic. You can barely see the houses up there in this reduced size.

Maybe we can get a Lake County rally together come spring. I've been watching TC's video of the 2003 Georgia rally and I'm getting jealous of all that fun. For a little taste of what kind of roads are up here check out this link: http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/BigCanyonRoad.htm or this: http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Highway175.htm How about this: http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/BerryessaKnoxville.htm? Plenty of cheap lodging and Clear Lake State Park has killer lakeview or lakeside campsites.
        Shiny side up,
        650 Mike

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

lake county

i also live in lake county (illinois) don't have sites that nice...
          1982 XJ 1100
          going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
          now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

WOW That's amazing.

I miss Southern Cal. aka Big Bear

Thanks for the pictures for us all to enjoy.
            78 Standard Pix's Xs1100
            ( Pop's Ride ) not running
            79 special New to the House
            (Okie) running

Comment

Re: lake county

Originally posted by chevy45412001
              i also live in lake county (illinois) don't have sites that nice...
              There seems to be a lot of Lake Counties across the nation. Also a lot of Clear Lakes. The one in Iowa is where Buddy Holly and Richie Valens died in a plane crash. There is another Clear Lake here in California too, up by the Oregon border. I'm kinda wishing they'd use the Indian name Ka-Ba-Tin, it's way more distinctive.
              Shiny side up,
              650 Mike

Comment

wow great roads that would be a hoot riding them,would love to come over your side of the pond next year,tough decision go to china to see moto gp with a free 3 day pass with access to the pits from bwm or the states??????????

Comment

Originally posted by scoobes
                  wow great roads that would be a hoot riding them,would love to come over your side of the pond next year,tough decision go to china to see moto gp with a free 3 day pass with access to the pits from bwm or the states??????????
                  I'd say the states if you want to ride! Come on over Robbie, lotta good roads here!

Check out www.pashnit.com for a sampling.
                  Shiny side up,
                  650 Mike

Comment

i remember the summers at konocti bay back when i was a teen ,way to many years ago.the fishing was good back then.
                    alot has changed in the bay i bet
                    the old address was 219 konocti bay road
                    man right on the water,sking fishing swimming bbq's& the local girls hot dam
                    lifes to short, so ride the wind

Comment

Originally posted by greywolfe555
                      i remember the summers at konocti bay back when i was a teen ,way to many years ago.the fishing was good back then.
                      alot has changed in the bay i bet
                      the old address was 219 konocti bay road
                      man right on the water,sking fishing swimming bbq's& the local girls hot dam
                      There's still great fishing Carl. Konocti Bay Rd. is just down the street from me and the Richmond Park Bar & Grill is still there where you can fish off the deck. That's where the bikers and boaters meet. The $10 grill-it-yourself steak feed with all-you-can-eat buffet is a big attraction too. Earlier this year a guy caught his limit of bass in 15 minutes at Konocti Harbor Inn. Another guy got busted for over-limit by the Fish & Game Warden with 213 crappie in his boat! They impounded his boat and took him to jail. I'll go down there and see if #219 is still there, betcha it is.
                      Shiny side up,
                      650 Mike

Comment

I want to move to Mr Mike's neighborhood. Man, Mike, that's awesome!
                        Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
                        78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
                        02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

nor cal

hey xs650mike

you shouldn't tease them poor duds out east. all we need is anouther few millon moving in out here in Nor Cal. Also they need the winter time for fixing their bikes. :rolleyes

just took my XS-XJ shop manual cd case (back is yellow/orange) and taped part of it to my left year turn signal ( no money to repair crash yet) all other turn signals are cracked and bent but not braking the law.

haven't been out on the XS since I droped it. Just can't stand it anymore. Leaving in a few minutes back to niles. (nice babe working at the Derby)

mro

Comment

Yep, California winterizing: Remove and replace the bald tires with new ones, drain the 20w50 and refill with 10w40. Keep riding!
                            Shiny side up,
                            650 Mike

Comment

Hey mro, I heard this radio talk show host today going on and on about how people are leaving California in droves because of the high taxes, no jobs and pinko commie liberals. How come they keep building all these new houses everywhere you look? If everybody's leaving who's buying 'em at $3/4 mill a pop? I wake up every morning to the sound of bull dozers, nail guns and hammers and even out there in the brutal summer heat and winter floods of the Central Valley...acres and acres of new homes. You don't think that maybe that guy on the radio doesn't know what the hell he's talkin' about do you?
                              Shiny side up,
                              650 Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X