No announcement yet.

Computer needs an XS overhaul..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, HP offered me a $59 upgrade to XP-64 for my workstation and after thinking about how much extra work I would need to do to get back up and running (requires a format, reinstalling my development environment, 3d enviroment, video editing environment) I would have about 20+ hours of work to become stable again. Too much work.

I got tired of my AMD processors running hot (San Jose, 101 degree day, no air con, processor meltdown...) so I switched over. I mean how much speed do I really need? There isn't a game out there that a 2.5ghz can't handle...

BTW here's what I have at home...

HP XW6200 workstation
    dual 2.8 ghz Xeon proc
    1GB DDR2 400 ECC RAM
    80GB SATA150 7200rpm HD
    200GB SATA150 HD
    ATI FireGL 5100 PCI-E video card

Comment

I have always heard that the Intels run as hot if not hotter. Maybe they are just capable of higher running temps.
      I run a home built

Asus A8N-SLI delux mobo
      AMD 64 3200 cpu
      Radion PCI-E X600 vid card
      120Gb Seagate Baracuda SATA2 HD
      1Gb mem
      Aftermarket cooling on cpu, video, and northbridge
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

81xsproject

I've tried loading dif operating systems on my pc.
        Finally bought a removable drive bay and extra HD's.
        Loaded each operating system/programs on it's own drive.

Works well and should something bad happen and can just slip in a different drive

mro

Comment

It has been my experience that Intels run a lot cooler (which is why overclockers like them). I can play Guild Wars or URT04 with the graphics level maxed out and never hear the fans kick in, I only hear them when I'm doing a massive rendering. AMD has always pushed their processors to the edge temp wise to keep up with the Intel processors.

I have always built my own systems (since my first 386-25 in '90) but I couldn't build a workstation for as cheap as I got my latest system (they had too many free upgrades going on). Otherwise I would have built my own.

I wish I had set this system up as a dual boot with linux but I already have a linux box so I don't really need it....though my linux box (dual pII-300) could use some overclocking... :-)

Clark

Comment

massive rendering

your running 64 bit aps??
            are most of high end video/photo aps are multi-threaded???

mro

Comment

I know the athlons had cooling issues due to the extremely small core to heatsink contact. I know with my 64 I can play Battlefield 2 on 1024x800 with all the extras enabled and my video core and mem overclocked with only a 2 degree rise in temps. But at the same time, even on my old dual AMD system, I have always had meticulously wired cases to promote airflow combined with 100% negetive casefan airflow, aftermarket fan/heatsinks (quieter options), and kept it fairly dust bunny free. Have yet to have a temp issue. What I have always like about Intel though is their comitment to compatibility with the highest performance memory technology. But for me it is still all about the most bang for my bucks.
              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
              X