Newest pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newest pics

Here are the newest pics of the new paint. I don't know if the metallic will show up very well, but it really looks great in person. Happy Viewing

Click on the pic to see it full sized.

Very nice

Great work. How many coats was it?

Comment

Thanx!

Two coats of color, wet sanded, and two wet layers of clear. (basically 4 coats of clear )

Comment

very nice

good job bike looks very XScellent.
        1982 XJ 1100
        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Very XScellent...

Love the mirror aspect ... that turned out real nice. I'll have to try that wet sanding when I paint my tank.
          ~ Street Rat ~

Mitch
          '78 XS1100 "My Mistress"

Knowledge is Experience. Everything else is just Information

Comment

Great job! The V&H exhaust and XJ wheels sure make it distinctive.
            Shiny side up,
            650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
            XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Thanks Guys

Mike, the pipes are actually Jardine. I found them on an old 78E a sometime ago. I liked them, so I bought the whole bike. I was running an OEM set from a MNS before the Jardines, but after the big bore I swapped over to the Jardines for better performance. The wheels are from an XJ. I parted out two of them a few years ago, and I really liked the curved spoke design. I had XJ11 air shocks on it before the accident, but I have swapped them out with some from a MNS. It seems to ride better with the new shocks. And being black, they kinda fit my color scheme.

Comment

6 coats...

I might even have enough patience for that :-)

Comment

Like the way the firing order is set up on the headers, like 2 twins with 2-1s, seems like the way to do it.
                  Shiny side up,
                  650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                  XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Before N' After

Here's what it looked like five months ago.

And let's not forget this one...

Click on the pic

Comment

Looks really awesome, John. I consider that a goal-type bike. Really nice. It really makes me consider going black on my engine something fierce. I bounce back and forth between polishing or painting once a week.

Did I mention how much I like those Jardines? Damn good looking pipes! They're just so....different.

Great work!!!
                      80 XS1100SG
                      81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

John, Kudos on the paint. I am going to get started on the Battle Cruiser in the next few weeks. I hope I can do it as well as yours. I like the pipes too. Do they perform as well as they look?
                        Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
                        78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
                        02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

same question on the pipes look good can you still buy those pipes anywhere
                          79 yamaha xs1100f standard
                          best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

You're right, John, the metal flake doesn't show up too well - it's just TOO DAMN SHINY!!!
                            Ken Talbot

Comment

Thanks Again Guys

The paint work just takes patience. It's hard to wait till everything is dry and hardened. I so wanted to put it together Sunday night, so I could ride it Monday, but it just wasn't quite ready.
                              On the topic of the pipes, I don't think they are available any more. I destroyed the right side muffler in the accident, and I had a hell of a time trying to find another. There was an NOS set of mufflers on ebay, but I got outbid for them by Winterhawk. I didn't know it was him at the time, and I contacted the winning bidder to ask if he still had the old mufflers, hoping he still had them. He did, and gave me one hell of deal on the old ones, and that completed my bike. Thanks Winterhawk. I really don't know if they helped performance, I really don't twist it up very hard, very often.
                              There are a few members that have the same pipes. Winterhawk, of course, and Jerry. I have seen a couple of other pics of bikes here that have them, but I can't remember who they are.
                              Ya know, those ass#holes on the Honda site can just bite me. I think the pipes look great, and so do a lot of you guys, so F 'em!

Comment

Working...
                              X