exhaust header gasket cost cutting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhaust header gasket cost cutting

On the xs750/850 someone came up with the idea of using chevy small block header gaskets cut down (because they were a lot cheaper than yamaha ones and had the same inner diameter). Has anyone tried that on the xs1100? We used to just buy a set of gaskets and trace the outer diameter and cut them with tinsnips. worked well.

Clark

Hey Clark,

I'm confused? Are you talking about the Exhaust Gaskets or the "HEAD" gaskets? The exhausts are only $4.00 for a pack of 4. Talking about having to use tinsnips makes me think you're talking about the head gasket, but I would think the oil ports and holes for studs and such would be way different.
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

ummm..yeah...

I mean the exhaust header gaskets for a small block chevy being cut out for use as exhaust gaskets on a XS (I always used a tin snip because my scissors were always too dull).

When I lived in CA a set of 3 exhaust gaskets (for the xs850) would run more than $20 at the local Yamarobbers...I mean dealer. I guess this was before there were a lot of stores on the internet come to think of it...

I hadn't checked prices yet and when I pulled the exhaust off the 79 and watched the gaskets crumble apart it remided me of it.

If it is obsolete info nevermind. Carry on.

Clark

Comment

Hey Clark,

I'm all for saving $$, and DIY type projects are what I enjoy doing. I've cut my own clutch crankcase cover, gear shift cover, tranny oil pan, valve cover, etc. out of gasket material. The exhaust gaskets are a bit different, they seem to be rolled and layered aluminum and fiber material, so that they act like compression washers as the pipes are tightened into them.

So...the old sheet style of exhaust header gasket material just doesn't seem like it would work as effectively as the newer ones.
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
        X