750 miles past hitting the wear bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 750 miles past hitting the wear bars

If you're running a Shinko 712 don't count on it being too long after you hit the wear bars before you replace it! Besides, tires are supposed to be round, not square.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240113_125027390_HDR.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	877061
    1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

I have never used the Shinko's, although I know many people do. The reviews on them are not bad from a performance standpoint, however they tend to wear quickly. I have stuck with Bridgestone H rated tires. For my purposes I know they cost quite a bit more than the Shinko's, but I do believe they last a lot longer. I hate changing tires so I would rather pay more to alleviate the frequency of having to change the tires. I wish Bridgestone still made the RWL Spitfires. I just replaced those, over ten years old, with the Battlax BT46 ply H rated tires. They are rated the same as the original Mag Mopus tires that originally came on the Midnight Specials. They just don't come in a RWL variety. I chose to just buy the white paint sticks and painted the raised black letters. They look ok and ride the same as the OEM. Of course I don't ride as much as I used to so I can't really say what the wear rate on them would be for high mileage riding seasons.
    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
    81 LH
    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
    Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
      I have never used the Shinko's, although I know many people do. The reviews on them are not bad from a performance standpoint, however they tend to wear quickly. I have stuck with Bridgestone H rated tires. For my purposes I know they cost quite a bit more than the Shinko's, but I do believe they last a lot longer. I hate changing tires so I would rather pay more to alleviate the frequency of having to change the tires. I wish Bridgestone still made the RWL Spitfires. I just replaced those, over ten years old, with the Battlax BT46 ply H rated tires. They are rated the same as the original Mag Mopus tires that originally came on the Midnight Specials. They just don't come in a RWL variety. I chose to just buy the white paint sticks and painted the raised black letters. They look ok and ride the same as the OEM. Of course I don't ride as much as I used to so I can't really say what the wear rate on them would be for high mileage riding seasons.
      In that picture you'll see a piece of another tire, that's a Bridgestone BT46 front that I ran about 12k miles, that was replaced with a Shinko 733 this time

I'll fully admit that the ride and handling on the Bridgestone is top notch but the wear rate is about the same as the Shinkos on my bike, that's a big price difference when you go through three rears and one or two fronts every calendar year.

I'm running an 80 standard with ali the touring gear and pulling a trailer, really wish there was a touring tire in 130/90-17. I've considered going dark side on the rear and there is a tire available but still, I like to carve the Twisties when I'm in the spot to do that
      1980 XS1100G

Comment

I have to say if I put as many miles on my bikes as you do I would probably be leaning towards a road worthy tire at a lower price. With the weight of your gear and the trailer I would think that any tire you put on the bike is going to wear faster than a bike with just a one up rider aboard. I know you have to be somewhere way south of the mason dixon right now.
        81 LH
        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
        Jim

Comment

Maybe it's time to turn to the Darkside.

Name:	DSCN0165.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	877076 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0171.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	877077 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0778.JPG
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	877078

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
            Yeah we had discussed that before on here and it's probably what makes the most sense. I've also considered going to a 16 inch wheel so I could get a better set of options such as the Dunlop Elite.

1980 XS1100G

Comment

I used to use Elite's on my Valkyrie. I would get about 6,000 miles out of them. Now I get 35,000 miles out of a rear tire.

Name:	DSCN5706.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	877094 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5709.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	877095 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5718.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	877096 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5722.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	877097 DSCN9668.JPG

Last edited by DEEBS11; 01-14-2024, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Name:	DSCN9668.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	877100 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9667.JPG
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	877101 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9670.JPG
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	877102 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9672.JPG
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	877103 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9671.JPG
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	877104

Comment

Only 6k on a Dunlop Elite? Heck, that Shinko I posted was about 7500 miles! Had pit an Elite on my Goldwing not long before I donated it to someone down on his luck and deserving a break and was expecting at least 10k.
                  1980 XS1100G

Comment

Here's my experience so far. Bought my bike with a set of Dunlop 404's already on it, they had some age on them and I don't know how many miles. Replaced them with another set of 404's and got about 4500 miles out of the rear, the front stayed until I wore through the next rear. The 404 front does quite well on gravel and forest service trails but is down right chaotic on manhole covers and tar snakes!

Put a Shinko 230 on the rear thinking the higher weight rating would give me some more mileage. It went 6k miles and was replaced a bit early due to my next set.

Then it was a set of Bridgestone BT46 front and rear, MAN what a difference! Total confidence running the twisties in the Smokies. The rear only went about 5500 miles but the front held up well, not too bad off the pavement either

Then I went to the Shinko 712 under the advice of a crusty old timer who's been running an HD shop since 1973 last summer, that's the tire in the picture.

This time around I went with another 712 in back and a Shinko 733 up front since the front tread is a bit more aggressive for off pavement use, I'm down right impressed with how it grips off pavement.

The three other choices available in 130/90-17 are Kendas which I will not even entertain after having a set on a Suzuki several years back, absolutely terrifying in the wet! Then there's the IRC Durotour which I've ruled out due to having a continuous rib right down the middle just raring to follow the rain grooves and bridge grates. Then there's the Michelin Classic which I have debated but not finding any real world mileage reports I'm hesitant to spend double the money on if the milage would be comparable to a Shinko or Bridgestone.
                    1980 XS1100G

Comment

When I first started riding street bikes in the late 1970's I was young and bold and never really noticed tires. Only replaced them when they went flat or the shop said you need a new tire. Now that I am old and somewhat wiser I replace front and rear every 6000 miles regardless of wear. Always buy a S rated top of the line tire. Nothing beats a brand new set of feel goods.

Comment

FWIW, I've been running Shinko 230's on the rear for the last 10 years and would get about 7K on them. The last 2 I have run have got me from 9.5K-10K. I'm thinking that they changed the rubber formula. Has anyone else noticed anything like this, regardless of brand of tire?
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post

Name:	DSCN0165.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	877076 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0171.JPG
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	877077 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0778.JPG
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	877078
                          I would think if you are running a side car that tire would be the way to go. Don't have too much lean angle to be concerned about. When you hit the twisties on your Valkyrie do you take it slower because of the lack of a true motorcycle tire sidewall? I don't ride that aggressively to begin with but it seems those tires would be a concern.
                          81 LH
                          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                          Jim

Comment

Here's the link for a dark side tire I've come across, looks like it's the one on the bike Deebs posted.

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/475-...wall-tire.html
                            1980 XS1100G

Comment

cajun31, in my opinion, the Valkyrie handles great. I can still easily scrape the footboards. Here is a video on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVjenurRaF0

Name:	Opera Snapshot_2024-01-16_021824_www.youtube.com.png
Views:	66
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	877170

Comment

Working...
                              X