Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Source for gasket/sleeve for speedometer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for gasket/sleeve for speedometer?

Careful what ya wish for. Mine was now I had nothing to repair...
    So the fuel gauge light stopped working and I took apart the speedo to verify it was or wasn't the bulb. ( I checked the connection from under the tank to the harness-was plugged in. ) Swapped the neutral light-bulb is good. Problem lies elsewhere.I'd prefer to reassemble the speedo and reinstall the fairing before removing the tank, etc.
    Anyway there's a rubber sleep that sits inside the top of the speedo housing that HAD a foam-type portion of it that has rotted out. I'd like to replace it rather than just putting the old one back in and calling "that's good enough".
    Anybody understand what gasket I'm talking about and if they're available?
    TIA
    And yeah, I could just make sure it has gas by the odometer, tyvm. Worst case scenario for me, though.

Still available from Yamaha is the speedometer gasket damper, P/N 3H3-83513-00-00 for $27 or make your own out of some weatherstripping.
    You can check the circuit by unplugging the 2 prong connector at the rear of the tank and jumping the 2 prongs together (main harness side) with the key on. The light should illuminate.
    Your problem most likely is that the thermistor inside the tank is fried.
    Last edited by bikerphil; 09-07-2023, 02:30 AM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Yes still available as Phil said. I bought one on E-bay a few years ago. I thought mine was rotted also-nope just folded onto itself. I replaced it anyway.
      1980 XS1100 SG
      Inline fuel filters
      New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
      160 mph speedometer mod
      Kerker Exhaust
      xschop K & N air filter setup
      Dynojet Recalibration kit
      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
        Still available from Yamaha is the speedometer gasket damper, P/N 3H3-83513-00-00 for $27 or make your own out of some weatherstripping.
        You can check the circuit by unplugging the 2 prong connector at the rear of the tank and jumping the 2 prongs together (main harness side) with the key on. The light should illuminate.
        Thank you for the part#-very helpful. I'll have to try your suggestion about checking the thermistor. Now I'll have to learn how to do THAT.

Comment

Yep. You're right-thermistor bad. Now what? Can it be replaced/repaired?
          Last edited by JonnyO; 09-07-2023, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Easiest option would be to replace the whole assembly if you can find one, P/N 3H3-85752-00-00.

I have repaired them in the past, and I don't recommend doing this, it is very finicky taking apart the tamper proof canister that contains the thermistor and soldering in a new one, and then crimping the canister back together.
            Last edited by bikerphil; 09-07-2023, 01:05 PM.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

Easiest option would be to replace the whole assembly if you can find one, P/N 3H3-85752-00-00.
              Ok. Thank you very much!

Comment

Yep, it will be hard to find a reasonably priced NOS unit, could also be hard to find a good used unit.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

Yep, it will be hard to find a reasonably priced NOS unit, could also be hard to find a good used unit.
                  Yeah, you're right. Not having any luck.

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyO View Post

Yeah, you're right. Not having any luck.
                    Rather then looking for just the fuel gauge sensor search for fuel tanks and they generally have the sensor still attached. Of course you are taking a chance on if the sensor is still good or not. Here is an example of one with the sensor still on the tank. 1981 Yamaha XS1100 Y846) gas petrol fuel tank with sensor | eBay

Here is a new sensor ... might not want to spend this much .. GENUINE YAMAHA PARTS FUEL METER SENDER UNIT ASSEMBLY XS1100RH 1981 3H3-85752-00 | eBay
                    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                    81 LH
                    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                    Jim

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyO View Post

Yep. You're right-thermistor bad. Now what? Can it be replaced/repaired?
                      Yes, Andy shows how to do it. BTW, watch the film carefully. When he goes to de-solder the thermistor, it just falls off. This is more than likely the problem with the circuit. He should have measured the thermistor for the 15K ohms at that point just to make sure the component was truly faulty. Might have been a simple cracked solder joint - a very common problem in a vibrating motorcycle with changing environmental temperatures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_dm5kJ708c

Click image for larger version  Name:	Opera Snapshot_2023-09-08_095658_www.youtube.com.png Views:	0 Size:	312.1 KB ID:	875312
                      Last edited by DEEBS11; 09-08-2023, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post

Yes, Andy shows how to do it. BTW, watch the film carefully. When he goes to de-solder the thermistor, it just falls off. This is more than likely the problem with the circuit. He should have measured the thermistor for the 15K ohms at that point just to make sure the component was truly faulty. Might have been a simple cracked solder joint - a very common problem in a vibrating motorcycle with changing environmental temperatures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_dm5kJ708c

Click image for larger version Name:	Opera Snapshot_2023-09-08_095658_www.youtube.com.png Views:	0 Size:	312.1 KB ID:	875312
                        Hmm. Interesting. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post

Rather then looking for just the fuel gauge sensor search for fuel tanks and they generally have the sensor still attached. Of course you are taking a chance on if the sensor is still good or not. Here is an example of one with the sensor still on the tank. 1981 Yamaha XS1100 Y846) gas petrol fuel tank with sensor | eBay

Here is a new sensor ... might not want to spend this much .. GENUINE YAMAHA PARTS FUEL METER SENDER UNIT ASSEMBLY XS1100RH 1981 3H3-85752-00 | eBay
                          Thanks. Good advice. I'll check it out.

Comment

Of COURSE...tank was almost empty...and then I just put 3 Gals in it. DANG IT!
                            But it look like I should first take a look at my thermistor.

Comment

A thermistor as opposed to a rheostat or a potentiometer,
                              Sounds intriguing, I'll have to look into that one!
                              ​​​​​
                              1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Working...
                              X