Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear turn signals...wobbly. Not attached securely.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear turn signals...wobbly. Not attached securely.

So from what I read it's more than likely the tabs around the bushing that the blinkers go in are bent and need to be straightened back. I have new bushings ( better to have than need ).
    Not being adept mechanically without instruction can anyone give me instructions on the proper removal/repair?
    Thanks

This is the rubber bushing for the rear turn signals which I see you have. The is also a large flat washer and nut to tighten the parts together up underneath the bike.

Click image for larger version  Name:	MTA3MjQxNTU-d5e8d735.jpg Views:	0 Size:	136.0 KB ID:	875034

Comment

If the tabs are bent, you will be able to see that. Just use a small hammer and tap lightly to put them back in line.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyO View Post
        can anyone give me instructions
        Unplug the wire that runs through the center of the stalk from the harness. Use a 12MM open end wrench and remove the tall nut from the stalk. The ground wire has an eyelet under the nut. Remove the entire assembly. Replace the rubber bushing by aligning the frame tab with the slot. Reinstall by reversing removal procedure. Also, clean any corrosion from the ground wire eyelet and it's mating surface.
        Last edited by bikerphil; 08-23-2023, 09:57 PM.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

GOing to try in the next couple days.
          Thank you Sir.

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyO View Post
            GOing to try in the next couple days.
            Thank you Sir.
            Awesome tips for a mechanical moron! Just what I needed.
            THANKS!

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post

Unplug the wire that runs through the center of the stalk from the harness. Use a 12MM open end wrench and remove the tall nut from the stalk. The ground wire has an eyelet under the nut. Remove the entire assembly. Replace the rubber bushing by aligning the frame tab with the slot. Reinstall by reversing removal procedure. Also, clean any corrosion from the ground wire eyelet and it's mating surface.
              Meant to put my THANKS! post under you not me.
              Thanks-just what I needed!

Comment

You're welcome JonnyO, I hope it goes smoothly.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                  You're welcome JonnyO, I hope it goes smoothly.
                  It went VERY smoothly... with your assistance! I'm so happy I finally could remove the zip-ties I'd been using to keep 'em from flopping around-FOR 3 YEARS. lol Kinda sad I don't have anything to fix ..oh wait...the seat.
                  I keep it in the house now and not the garage because of the excessive heat here in AZ.
                  Thanks again, Mr. Phil!
                  Last edited by JonnyO; 09-01-2023, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Your welcome, glad you got it all sorted. Keep it cool my friend.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

Comment

Working...
                    X