When Rubber isn't Rubber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Rubber isn't Rubber

You can deal with strange issues When rubber isn't rubber anymore. I discovered this working on an issue with fuel gauge on 80 XS11. The gas gauge on my bike got intermittent then quit registering at all. I started checking with my meter and had my 7 volts and the resistance through the fuel level meter was correct so I pulled the Tac Gauge out and checked the meter and found it had an open had burnt up. So I grabbed one of my other Tac gauge assemblies with a faulty tach, pulled the fuel gauge and put it in the one on my bike. This is not an easy task uncrimping and crimping the bezel back on. Well I thought I was done good to go hooked it up and nothing. Back to the Volt Ohm meter checking and fuel meter good, resistance threw fuel level gauge good, voltage good. Aha what a PIA so I checked for a short to frame and there it is so I am thinking the fuel level gauge is shorting out and grounding but when pulling the tank I find the Tank is mounted electrically isolated from ground so what the heck. S0 I checked and now the gage works fine so I think ok I fixed it. NOPE!!! I hook all the hoses up and start the bike and the gauge does not work. So I unhook the hoses and it works. Now I'm thinking gas is conductive ???? Well time to end this I found my issue was the vacuum lines had become conductive that China hose stuff with time and heat had become conductive burnt up my fuel meter gauge and wasted half a day.

So this is what happens when rubber isn't rubber anymore.
    To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
    1980 G Silverbird
    Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
    1198 Overbore kit
    Grizzly 660 ACCT
    Barnett Clutch Springs
    R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
    122.5 Main Jets
    ACCT Mod
    Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
    Antivibe Bar ends
    Rear trunk add-on
    http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

I have noticed a huge surge in inferior Chinese junk of all types of replacement equipment and parts for all brands of motorcycles and small engines like Tecumseh and Briggs and Stratton. The lure is the cheap price that just about any American will fall for. The result is an infrastructure that will initially work from the repair but will soon fail and maybe even cause further damage to the device. Is this junk only earmarked for the United States for a reason?

Comment

Originally posted by DEEBS11 View Post
      I have noticed a huge surge in inferior Chinese junk of all types of replacement equipment and parts for all brands of motorcycles and small engines like Tecumseh and Briggs and Stratton. The lure is the cheap price that just about any American will fall for. The result is an infrastructure that will initially work from the repair but will soon fail and maybe even cause further damage to the device. Is this junk only earmarked for the United States for a reason?
      and here in the UK !!!!! no body has any spare cash so they buy the cheap ****e and when it goes wrong they buy the good stuff.

Comment

How would one know good stuff from bad, until its too late?
        '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
        '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
        '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Originally posted by dbbrian View Post
          How would one know good stuff from bad, until its too late?
          Country of origin is a good start. US, Europe and Japan are safer bets than China and elsewhere in Asia.
          1980 XS1100G

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Working...
          X