Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member in Indianapolis with '78 XS1100E

Hi All,

Wanted to introduce myself and my bike. I bought this '78 XS1100E in the Columbus OH area last summer in somewhat rough but running shape. I've been learning all the ins and outs of these wonderful bikes over the last year and getting my XS1100 in tip-top shape.
    The bike has 24k miles currently, it came to me with buckhorn handlebars installed (I swapped over to standard style), an RC Engineering 4-1 exhaust with a rusted out baffle (repaired and repacked), some older Dyna coils and wires, and that awesome green paint job. It has '80 carbs on it from what I can tell so I've been tuning those in, runs sweet but with a low rpm stumble and plugs still show fairly rich. I suspect it's the 120 main jets I have installed, I may have the more tapered "Special" needles so I'm trying 110 mains next (stock 42.5 pilots, stock airbox and filter, baffled 4-1 pipe, mixture screws turned in all the way to .75 currently). The bike also now has Galfer stainless front brake lines that I really love, and a period style luggage rack and backrest. I've done the pickup coil repair that I found thanks to this forum. Currently dealing with a somewhat slipping clutch as well, tried adjusting but I think the plates need replacement.

A bit about myself: I started riding when I was 15 years old in 2004, fixed up an XS500C that I got without a title and totally thrashed for $50. With a new cam chain and some other work, the bike ran great and I rode it across the US and back in 2008 along with my brother on an '81 Seca, and three other friends ('73 TX500 with single piece head swap, '78 KZ650, '81 CX500 Custom). We started in Ithaca NY and rode out to San Francisco and back, all on back roads, camping in tents. I've owned a bunch of different bikes since then, a number of Suzuki GSes, KLRs, etc, but the old Yamaha XS bikes just really speak to me and feel "right."

I just read Bob Jones' book and am really excited to finish up my XS and put some miles on it this season!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0244.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	873595

Yamahas: 1978 XS1100E, XS500C
    Other bikes: 2000 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Looks great gtem... welcome to the forum.
    Bob's Bikes:
    79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
    https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
    https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
    "
    Project XS11"
    "Rucksack Grunt"
    "Small Unit Leadership"
    "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
    For Sale Here.

Comment

Welcome! I’m in the indy area as well

Comment

Welcome GTEM,,,,,,like you, have had many bikes, and a lot of xs1100's, fixing, selling, keeping a few,,,,anyway, just let you know when you do the clutch plate refurbish, or renew,,,BUY NEW CLUTCH SPRINGS, Barnett preferable,,,the old ones you can measure and most likely not near spec,,,new springs and plates and the xs will be a freaking rocket, good for at least 50k hard riding. Also, the clutch redo guides are in the search section, the star plate is FRAGILE,,,so follow directions on backing out and in the bolts and it wont break,,,,maybe get the carbs synched with a synch gauge and it will run even more smoothly....bike looks great...have fun, ride safe,,,Mike in San Diego and PA.

Comment

Originally posted by Socer4m View Post
          Welcome GTEM,,,,,,like you, have had many bikes, and a lot of xs1100's, fixing, selling, keeping a few,,,,anyway, just let you know when you do the clutch plate refurbish, or renew,,,BUY NEW CLUTCH SPRINGS, Barnett preferable,,,the old ones you can measure and most likely not near spec,,,new springs and plates and the xs will be a freaking rocket, good for at least 50k hard riding. Also, the clutch redo guides are in the search section, the star plate is FRAGILE,,,so follow directions on backing out and in the bolts and it wont break,,,,maybe get the carbs synched with a synch gauge and it will run even more smoothly....bike looks great...have fun, ride safe,,,Mike in San Diego and PA.
          Thank you Mike and duly noted on the clutch work. I do have Vesrah HD springs I bought to swap in, I'll definitely look up the writeups on here in addition to following my factory service manual when I open things up. I'm definitely impressed with the power and feel of the bike even now, the mid-range punch feels atleast as strong as my old '81 GS1100E, and notably smoother with that rubber mounted engine.
          Yamahas: 1978 XS1100E, XS500C
          Other bikes: 2000 Kawasaki Voyager XII

Comment

Working...
          X