Ouch ... slippin' and slidin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouch ... slippin' and slidin'

I hate crashing. Ouch, man. I laid down the S last night. In typical S fashion the rear wheel touched down after she balanced on the right-side valve cover, took my 150ft slide and spun me around, flipped the bike over me and my head was pushed forward by the weight of the bike. All that right after I hit the curb .... just after the flip I was thrown clear of the bike, still on my seat which came with me and stood and ran in typical Hayden/Mladen fashion to the side of the road as the bike hit the curb a second time and was flipped up onto the grass, resting on her left side.

Fuel leaking and oil pouring out of the cracked open head/valve cover mating area from hitting the curb. I lost half of my tools, my right mirror ripped off, the left one smashed up. The rear subframe is looking twisted as the plastic isn't looking right and the seat is bound up. The front end is smushed to the right side, bending the fairing, scratched the forks, scratched up the windscreen on both sides, inside by the brake cluster and outside by the asphalt flip. Front wheel is bent a bit, rear wheel may be bent, but when we spun it, it didn't look so bad, there's just grass sticking in the bead of both wheels and in other random spots.

Started up, didn't sound too bad, just a lot of blow-by oil sitting in there and burning, the mechanic started it, not me! Since it had lost a bunch of oil, I wasn't about to start it myself. *sigh*

So my personal damage was reduced by the fact that I am not a squid, and routinely wear all of my gear. My helmet is pretty scratched up on the right side. Since I was hanging off, my right knee took a big hit as is apparent by the large hole in my sweet Airflow-2 pants, with a huge 1/4" deep, quarter-sized hole in the knee armour -- that of course would have been my knee if I didn't have them on. In rare fashion I didn't have my gloves on, but only got two small abrasions on my left hand. My Dainese AirMesh Jacket held up ok, except where my right shoulder is I have a huge ripped hole, which was one with my skin BTW, but the shoulder armour took a lot of that damage too. The arms are ripped up, but I only have two road rash spots on my right arm, and then on on my left elbow. All in all, it's just more of a reason to wear your gear and "dress for the fall" each and every time you go out riding.

I haven't gone back to the site of the accident yet to see if there was anything in the road that could cause me to lose the back-end like I did, but the Trooper and I couldn't really find anything on the ground at night.

So, I have some pics of my gear damage, personal damage and bike damage that I'll post up later on when I get them off of my digital camera.

I think she's totalled, and now I'm trying to figure out what to get next. Duc? Triumph? Aprilia? Another S? RT? RS? The possibilities are endless if that happens.

*sigh* Then I got to spend 8 hours in the emergency room too, getting CAT Scan and x-rays.

whoa, that sucks. As you say, dress to crash. Hope insurance covers everything for you, incl. er

glad you're okay
    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

As long as you're OK...

What to get... and where to ask that question.... XS offcourse. XJ would do to.

LP
      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
      (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Erric,

Sucks to hear about your second crash on this bike. Can't say anything except I am glad you are still alive and able to type! The best part (other than the alive thing) is the fact that you get to buy a new bike. Right now there is some seriously good stuff out there.........Make sure you replace all that safety gear too!
        Gary Granger
        Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
        2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Of course, Gary, I'd never ride without it .... well except gloves once in a while. :-)

Personal Damage Pics:

AirFlows Crashed Tested

Knee Armour -- Two Thumbs Up To BMW

The Knee Pad Matches This, Doesn't Look Bad, but consider what happened to the armour! A Bunch of Soft-Tissue Damage Here

Dainese Crash Test ... not bad, the armour did it's job

Only got this from it...

The Arm of the Dainese, It saved me a bit ... oh and my dinner, a Tofuti "Ice Cream" bar, tasted mighty fine :-)

Left me with this ...

Hemlet ... f-ing Buell *grin, wink*

Comment

Bike Damage pics

Such a Sad 'S'...

R12C and R1150RTP look on sadly...

150ft into a curb'll do that to ya!

Comment

Re: Ouch ... slippin' and slidin'

Originally posted by ErricZ
              I hate crashing. Ouch, man. I laid down the S last night.

<snip>

I think she's totalled, and now I'm trying to figure out what to get next. Duc? Triumph? Aprilia? Another S? RT? RS? The possibilities are endless if that happens.

Erric, at the rate you are going thru m//c's, maybe get one of those old "Big Wheels".....

Glad you didn't get hurt any worse then what you did.
              Brian
              1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
              1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
              remembering the same thing!

Comment

Everyone has this twisted idea that I go through motorcycles. I've dropped it a couple of times and then I had the motor replaced after I didn't fill 'er up, but this was my first high-speed get off. I haven't really been riding all that long, so maybe I'm just getting my licks early.

*shrug*

Gotta see what comes next, I'll be on another bike soon enough.

Comment

Erric,

Thanks for the pictures! Looks pretty beat up to me, the ice cream sandwich only looks about half totalled, though.
                  Gary Granger
                  Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                  2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Hey Errrrrata - Maybe it's a "mom-thing" with me - but I worry <sigh > - Just how fast WERE you going? As in too fast? Slow down a bit so you can keep getting get older.
                    Sorry about the bike too, but very glad you had good gear on :-)
                    Momma Deb

Originally posted by ErricZ
                    ...but this was my first high-speed get off. I haven't really been riding all that long, so maybe I'm just getting my licks early.
                    *shrug*

Comment

Not too bad on the human damage, thankfully. Plus you got an ice cream out of the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by ladyxsive
                        Hey Errrrrata - Maybe it's a "mom-thing" with me - but I worry <sigh > - Just how fast WERE you going? As in too fast? Slow down a bit so you can keep getting get older.
                        Sorry about the bike too, but very glad you had good gear on :-)
                        Momma Deb

I was wondering when you were going to start scolding me! Thanks Momma! Why is it that all the females in my life worry so much? Hell, I haven't even told my mother at this point, I would never hear the end of it. Oy, I am dreading that one.

I was only going 50-60, but some of us are thinking that it may just have been soaked in oil ... not sure, I need to go back to the ill-fated site later on today when it's daylight still.

Comment

Eric,,,,
                          Nice job dude,,, glad to see you scraped thru. That Beemer is pretty tough, took a flip and didn't come apart on you to bad, at least you had a seat to ride on thru the air. You did well with the gear it looks like. As far as a new bike ,you culd buy the new FJR1300 and still have travelin money left over. Lots of power,,,,,like you need that, hehe, just jokin you,,and Long distance abilities. Whatever you get enjoy and heal quick. Those crutches didn't look to good in the pic, you hobled as well as scraped?? Take it easy man. Listen to momma.
                          Ken Krieger
                          Chesterfield, Va.
                          81 XS1100SH - Radar Rider
                          82 XJ1100J - Black and Blue
                          82 XJ1100J - Bucket o Bolts
                          79 XS1100SF - Road Raider
                          1980 XS1100 - Frankenbike
                          85 XJ700 Maxim
                          06 VMax - Black Max
                          85 650 Nighthawk

Comment

That hole in the armour had to come from something. I have a huge bruise on my knee where that is and a large scrape there too. And the other side of that knee is a big bruise too. So I'm out of commission for a little while: walking, driving, riding. I did cook tonight, so that was reassuring. The Single Malt really helped.

Comment

Hahaha.....single Malt has a way of doing that,,,,,,,continued use can only lead to nirvana,,,,,,,,hehe,,,,heal quick man.
                              Ken Krieger
                              Chesterfield, Va.
                              81 XS1100SH - Radar Rider
                              82 XJ1100J - Black and Blue
                              82 XJ1100J - Bucket o Bolts
                              79 XS1100SF - Road Raider
                              1980 XS1100 - Frankenbike
                              85 XJ700 Maxim
                              06 VMax - Black Max
                              85 650 Nighthawk

Comment

Working...