price for msd ignitin system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• price for msd ignitin system

well i just got off the phone with msd and the parts i price where the mc3 digital igniton part # 4223 price was 690.00
    blaster motorcycle coils part number 8204 price 82.00 X 2
    8 mm wires blue part # 3144 price 55.00
    8.5 wires red part@31449 price 67.00

they didnt recomond running the 8mm since the igniton is digital

so how well do you think this system will make the bike run
    79 yamaha xs1100f standard
    best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

It will run better but I don't know if it'll run $976 better.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

thats what i was thinking but if it makes it run cleaner and better low end it will help with getting out of the hole, so i am woundering if i would just be better off just putting accel coils on it and go with that and call it a day or just go with the msd and call it good to go or what is the differance going to be between putting the accel coils on over the whole msd system

Comment

Bandit, the outrageously priced digital ignition (along with all the inevitable wiring hassles) won't improve performance as far as speed or acceleration - at all. An extra lb of air in the tyres, or simply a change in atmospheric pressure on the day will give affect performance more. Very, very, very negligible. A puff of free wind will give way more oomph than the 900 bucks worth of electrical gadgets. Even with the hot coils like Dyna etc.. - sure, they're an improvement on 25 year old vintage stock coils, but truth is, they'll just likely bump your 13.282 down to 13.280! Depends on the weather and what size shoes you wear that day. Save that cash for better things. Buy one of geez's charging gadgets instead. Get some steel brake lines too. And some vac gauges to balance the carbs. Replace the balding tyres. Get some nice rear shocks etc.. etc..

Comment

Hey Bandet01,

I was just looking ALL OVER the MrGasket, Accel site, and can't find any specs for how many kvolts their motorcycle coils will produce. The MSD states around 40-45kv. The Dyna coils state around 30Kv....designed for replacment of stock coils, so figure the stock coils are also around 25-30kv. The Accels state that they will produce around 40% more than stock....which puts them around 45kv, very similar to the MSD. And, they state that the spark duration is longer than stock as well, which will come close to the MSD multispark performance.

But, you may also obtain very good results with just NEW stock style coils, and MikesXS has their 80-84 series high output coils for TCI systems, and are a lot cheaper than any of the other "performance" coils. Just watch your plugs closely, cause hotter coils will cause a leaner burning condition!

Put your money into stronger clutch plates and springs and good tires!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

so you guys dont think the msd setup is worth the money

Comment

Not worth it mate. Here's a secret tip for good 1/4's. Buy a bottle of scotch whiskey, and tip a couple teaspoons in the tank before each run.

Comment

drags

hers what i did ...for free and it all helped. first tie your front shocks together so when you hit the throttle it wants to pick up the wheel right away..better weight transfer(don't ask it works) next stiffin up your rear end also i have air shocks on the XJ so this is easy for me i just fill them up as much as they will take bout 35lbs. makes for a hell of a stiff ride but it takes off much better than street seetings.and as before take that 900 bucks and make ya self a wheelie bar!you can make it quickly removeable,man with a bar i can almost gaurneetee a low to mid 12 right off the trailer. you would be cutting that 60' time in half if you could leave at 8,000 rpm,man i'm with ya but well you know.If i leave at 8,000 my bike will instantly flip over trust me i tried. If i baby it to keep the front end down it's 2.whatever second 60' times. keep the front down and stay on the gas YOU WILL GET into the 12's....
                1982 XJ 1100
                going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

ok well let me ask the dumb question of the night what is the wiske going to do for me

and thanks for the idea of tieing the front end down i still think a hotter spark will help and dump some more fuel it it and better exhaust will help too

Comment

the only thing i like about going with the msd ignition is the 2 step i mean i can hold it wide open at a certain rpm at the line and launch from there and then have a top end rpm limiter so no fear of ever over reving the engine and then it makes the spark plug spark alot more over stock so you all think it is a waste of money

Comment

well i am thinking of making a quick discount wheel bar so i can launch harder and keep the front wend down

Comment

Bandet, I forgot to mention that the equation is - for each teaspoon of whiskey in the tank, the rider must consume one 1/4 cup also. You'll find by about the 5th run, your times will be quite fantastic.

Comment

oh ok pggg well that dont said to safe to me

Comment

..Yeah, but it sure is fun!

Comment

yeah but fall over on a bike aint much fun

Comment

Working...