alternative carbs ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternative carbs ?

looks like my carbs are past their sell by date, no2 and no3 carbs need replacing finding a set of XS11 carbs in any condition here in the UK is like finding hens teeth !!!!!!!!!
    what are you guys replacing them with ? i know the XJ carbs will fit but they are hard to find as well

https://murrayscarbs.com/product/yam...100e-carb-kit/

Not promoting or selling this, I found these in a search for a carb for my xj11, may well be a bike saver, if you cannot find oem.

Comment

Most of us are able to rebuild whatever came on the bike.

If that doesn't work out, we can always find a rack on eBay to rebuild. For example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25565482527...Bk9SR9jzw46GYQ
      Last edited by Radioguylogs; 10-31-2022, 08:09 PM.
      -Mike
      _________
      '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
      '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
      '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
      '79 XS750SF 17k miles
      '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
      '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
      '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

And there's the Kawi ZRX carbs that can be made to fit rather easily, they will need bigger jets I believe for our bikes. Spacing is correct on them. You can drill your own hole in carb #2 for the vacuum advance if you choose to continue using it.

The first gen. ones seem easier to come by.
        Last edited by bikerphil; 10-31-2022, 09:21 PM.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

thanks guys, finding OEM carbs is really hard here in the UK and if you do find some they ask silly money for them the issue with mine is no2 carb has a seized and badly mashed pilot jet that maybe in time i will be able to free it off, but no3 carb pilot jet threads in the carb body are stripped !!!!!! so the jet won't hold.
          i have found some 79 carbs in Germany at £600 ( $692 ) plus £70 postage

Comment

what do you guys do with the vacuum advance if using FJ1100 carbs ? do you drill the carb body or use the inlet stub ?

Comment

The one fella I can recall running them just left it unhooked. The bike will run ok without the vac, fuel mileage goes down though.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

Comment

got myself a set of clean FJ1100 carbs but before fitting its time for a strip and clean, everything looks good inside but i fitted the main jets from the XS carbs.

but before they go back on its best to do a bench test, and yeah got a leak on number one looks like i need a new float valve.

Comment

I used the choke lever and rod off the XS11 carbs so it looks OEM and saves me rigging up a choke cable setup, but it will need holding out when starting from cold till i figure out a detent position !!!!
                  also the XS throttle cable is no good but I did have a spare Suzuki bandit one kicking around that fitted pretty good

Comment

For the choke you will need to add a spring and ball bearing in carb 1 and I think carb 4. You might be able to just do carb 1. If you use the xs main jets you may need to use the xs emulsion tubes also, as a pair. Or maybe use the xj emulsion tubes and main jets as a pair. Not sure if you can mix the two.
                    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
                    79 SF parts bike.

Comment

This looks like an interesting mod, I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes. Those carb throats look a bit larger, are they 36MM?
                      Last edited by bikerphil; 11-17-2022, 08:18 PM.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

Comment

Originally posted by red bandit View Post
                        For the choke you will need to add a spring and ball bearing in carb 1 and I think carb 4. You might be able to just do carb 1. If you use the xs main jets you may need to use the xs emulsion tubes also, as a pair. Or maybe use the xj emulsion tubes and main jets as a pair. Not sure if you can mix the two.
                        I thought of doing the ball bearing and spring mod but the mixture screw tunnel is in the way !!!! but it fires up by holding the choke lever for a few moments then i let go and it idles (a bit slow as its cold)
                        with the XS carbs it wouldn't idle for more than a minute then it fowled 2 plugs, it now idles and revs good but not rode it yet due to the really bad weather will get it out for a road test asap and let you know how it goes buy the way the plugs all look like they should

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                          This looks like an interesting mod, I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes. Those carb throats look a bit larger, are they 36MM?
                          yeah Phil they are 36mm, the dimensions of the FJ carbs are the same as the XS carbs so they fit perfect, the only mod's needed are sorting a choke system out and finding another throttle cable, oh and maybe some re-jetting so far im happy

Comment

I was just wondering how the 2 valve XS head will get along with larger venturi carbs, the FJ would be a 4 valve head I believe. Looking forward to your road test, I hope the weather improves soon.
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

Comment

finally got out for a small run today, it did run fairly good but not perfect, strange that it pulled great sometimes and then other times it coughed and spluttered a bit !!!!! I did tweak the mixture a bit which helped but ran out of time to do any more I did notice 2 of the diaphragms where a bit dodgy when re-building the carbs and should have replaced them I think i'll order a set and rule them out. on a good note theirs no problem with the gearbox although clunky more fettling to do

Comment

Working...
                              X